Pixel Fold

“a company that knows how to support it”? Google? An early pioneer in “launch it, then kill it”?

What’s he smoking?

1 Like

With recreational use legal in 22 states, that question is no longer rhetorical.

2 Likes

add in the “medical use only” states (where “medical” is BROADLY defined) and you only have 5 holdouts left…

2 Likes

Should actually be expanded to smoking or eating. Edibles (especially gummies) are the sleeper category.

2 Likes

Oops, it’s already broken:

People got the Pixel Fold yesterday and they’re already breaking - The Verge

1 Like

1 Like

SORRY, BUT GOING TO RANT!

Actually, this is directed to Satya and Panos - the Surface Duo design is THE BEST folding design to date. Solid glass OLED displays, no creases, no breaks, so sturdy. Granted, you end up with a gap down the middle, but the whole idea in the first place was PRODUCTIVITY on TWO screens, and you nailed it. If you want wider videos turn it sideways and watch on one screen like you would with any other candybar design.

Get off your lazy @$$’ and bring us a redesigned Surface Duo 3 with: (1) the Surface Duo design ethic; (2) thinner bezels; (3) either a better camera set like on the back of the Pixel Fold or better still go back to the SD 1 and no BUMPS; and (4) either WOA or Android 13/14 (so long as you keep it up to date and pay Google a premium to use all things Google).

RANT OFF - well, almost. I have watched untold videos of every known folding phone - NOTHING matches the sophistication and design of the Surface Duo.

3 Likes

Speaking of which, it looks like they finally emptied their warehouse(s) full of old Duo Uno stock. I haven’t seen sub-$400 prices for a while, not to mention those occasional sub-$300 fire sales on new ones.

Here’s the Amazon page for the 256GB one I bought for less than $400 last autumn:

Scarcity is pushing the prices back up into stupid-land.

2 Likes

Thurrott sounds like he’s in the tank for it:

I’m glad he’s impressed with “something” after trashing all other folding devices. I did see him on Windows Weakly dissing the Ars Technica report of screen death after only four days.

Take-away from all of the early reports: good first try but you are a fool to not pay the extra freight of full replacement coverage.

Too bad it doesn’t support a pen…and we all KNOW what Thurrott thinks of pens…

1 Like

Another fairly positive review from Mr. Mobile (especially camera quality):

But overall he’s a bit negative as a first gen product…

FINAL UPDATE - to leave iPhone (fat chance) I’d have to have a pen. If Samsung offered a stick pen alternative (like the S23) that fit in a lightweight case…

3 Likes

Personally, I’ve loved my Pixel 6 pro and now 7 Pro. (Although, a 5 lasted a day with one of the sales managers. Bricked itself).

After watching a few reviews, my conclusion is that I just want a Surface Duo 3. That’s it.

3 Likes

I assume with the same rugged dual glass covered panels?

2 Likes

What would be really awesome is two fixed panels but no edge on the inside, then when you lock them together, it is one screen. You get the rigidity of non-folding screens, but a big screen when combined! That would be amazing.

3 Likes

THAT would be a hands down winner - no more fragile ultra thin glass bending/folding - come on Panos, YOU CAN DO IT!

I want a Neo, period. I’ve given up on trying to use SW split screens. It’s not the same as using the dual screen of the Duo. And I don’t think there’s anything that can be done to approximate that experience on a single screen.

2 Likes

This one has a PEN. China only.

1 Like

Sounds like it’ll go global when the next version is released if the previous Magic VS version is an indication. (Well, semi-global at least. They never come to North America.)

The Magic V2 will only be released in China at launch, as it comes on the heels of the global arrival of its predecessor, the Magic VS.

Regardless, it will raise the bar for others. Competition is good.

There’s no slot on the phone for the stylus, though. By comparison, the Galaxy Z Fold 4 has a slot for the stylus, but it’s sold separately.

The author appears to be confused about what a “slot for the stylus” means. Or maybe they don’t realize that the Samsung only has a stylus “slot” on the case?

It’s a shame, as always, how the tech reviewers who get first crack at these things are always clueless about styli. It would be nice if they could tell us what tech the pen has. Most likely they wouldn’t understand the question. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Is that the one that folded is less than a cm thick?

1 Like

How come the Chinese are getting all the cool tech? I’m quite skeptical about the durability of this one though. There’s a reason Sammy isn’t rushing to make the Fold compete with all these slimmer foldables.

1 Like