Pixel Fold

Yeah, that is a strange oversight. I would imagine this was an opportunity to make the USI generally available to a larger user base. Do like the form factor though.

Even though the price is high I beleive they will give you a watch free of charge if you pre-order. For those who are looking to buy both a foldable AND a watch that might be an incentive. Just wonder how big a market segment that may be?

But not a charger apparently, if I heard that right. Better for the environment and the bottom line, a rare combination.

1 Like

Not buying this, but it’s funny to me how a 2 year old S21 Ultra (512GB) is a $650 trade in on the Google Store, and a 6 month old Pixel 7 Pro (512GB) is only $450.

Also looks like if you buy from Google Fi you don’t get the free watch but you get more at trade-in. $800 on the S21 Ultra (and they don’t seem to accept trade-ins on the P7P?!).

But also, Google phones traditionally drop in price nearly immediately. I especially expect the price on this one will plummet when the Galaxy Fold 5 is announced.

1 Like

I kept thinking while seeing the presentation and reviews…

M$ - YOU REALLY F’D UP WITH THE DUO UNO - IT SHOULD BE MOPPING THE FLOOR WITH BOTH THE PIXEL FOLD AND GALAXY FOLD 5

Panos, all you had to do was blow out the processor and give us good cameras - I still think two separate screens beats this hands down…

5 Likes

Microsoft Duo not on the list, would have thought that would have been a good target for a decent trade in, and something I might have considered!

1 Like

300-400 more mAh being ‘huge’. Going on about 0.x mm.

And Ron ‘Bezels’ Amadeo.

More signs that even Google sees Surface Duo as a dead end…

2 Likes

Oh that, that’s just Ron being Ron. :sweat_smile:

Not a bad deal if you were considering switching carriers:

Haven’t seen anyone else mention that it doesn’t go flat, but I’d have to think (hopefully) that’s just the demo unit:

XDA-Developers: Hands on: The Google Pixel Fold is bad

Well, Windows central is lining up behind Pixel Fold:

This picture (from the article) says it all to me. Why do you need pen and paper to take notes on your fold when the bottom screen would suffice? In short, no pen. It is fakafka!! DOA for me. I don’t understand why it is not for Windows Central. I do like the fold otherwise and would love to see the form factor evolve. In fact, I’d love to see Samsung copy it. Oh, and keep the cameras flush so the phone can fold flat.

BTW, that is quite an engagement ring. Wonder when the big event is.

3 Likes

Well that’s an embarrassing look for Google:

Overall reviews though seem to like the aspect ratio but note that this is definitely a first-gen device.

2 Likes

I’m never going to get hardware from Google.

They have a poor track record in regards to issues with them, and unlike software, them deciding to drop something leaves you with a very tactile reminder of it.

2 Likes

Guess we can “scratch” that one off the list…

1 Like

The Verge puts it another way…

“For me, the whole point of buying a phone like this is to have that inside screen, not to spend most of my time using the outside display. The Z Fold 4’s outer screen is not as nice to use as the Pixel Fold’s, but it works well enough for the brief amount of time I spend on it. Its inside screen, however, is much better suited for the vast majority of Android apps and is more enjoyable to use as a result.”

He’s making a very good point - if you are hung up (as I am) on the Pixel Fold/Oppo Find N2 format, maybe I’d be using it wrong…

1 Like

And OnePlus chose to redesign the N2/3 Fold, making it tall and narrow like the Samsung Fold. Scratch two.

:-1: AGREED - the one saving grace was its form factor - looks more and more like Samsung’s industrial intel paid off this year and will save its bacon with an incremental upgrade of the Galaxy Z Fold 5 over the 4…(surely they knew about this one, and could almost count on Google’s teething problems having been there themselves four years ago)…no wonder no iPhone Fold rumors…

Ewww, I agree with The Verge.