Unpacked 2023

So far it seems obvious that Samsung is completely focused on the sub 25 crowd. As presented by middle aged people. Strange combo.

4 Likes

I got through about 5 minutes of the unpack. How many more years are we going to have annual product introductions that should take 5 min dragging on interminably? Steve Jobs is laughing at us all from wherever he may be thinking I started this.

4 Likes

Not only that it drags on and on, but I don’t think I have ever experienced LESS innovation at a launch event that Samsung did this time.

3 Likes

Wasn’t expecting much after all the leaks, but still I ended up very disappointed. At least with Panos, you can enjoy some of his theatrics.

2 Likes

I couldn’t pry myself out of bed for this one, but saw the summaries of what was released…

MEH…

I mean really, the best thing about the Fold 5 is closing the gap? Well, they did add a case with smaller pen to the mix, but really, that’s all you got DJ…all you managed to do was make the Google Pixel Fold look more interesting, and of course…

PANDERED TO THE SELFIE-ABSORBED GENERATION WITH THE FLIP… :fu: (that’s my flip)

So, that explains the evolution of aliens…

3 Likes

Saw this scene and was like WTF!

1 Like

The pen is evolving. That is the best news of the non-event. Eventually, some genius is going to figure out a better way to store it.

I’m waiting to see if the S23U gets discounted now that the new fold is out. My Note 10 is starting to get old. Battery life is just about a full day when it was at least 2 days originally. Also, no more Android updates from Verizon. So, c’mon Samsung, tempt me.

2 Likes

Yeah the most Apple like unpacked yet. In other words, now with 15% cooler stuff…

Arguably the best, albeit minor upgrade was the 11 inch s9 getting OLED. Our understanding was that the 11 inch s8 significantly underperformed sales wise.

PS: Still hearing rumors of a foldable tablet, roughly neo sized, but now likely for CES 2024

2 Likes

Windows tablet? Or Android.

android and windows

3 Likes

Now THAT is an interesting rumor - silo please…

1 Like

Part of the basis of the rumor of a foldable tablet.
Google will prioritize Play Store apps with good Pixel Fold and Android tablet screen support - The Verge

also @dstrauss with the Fold 5 your silo dreams actually took a step backward as the hinge got even more complex and more moving parts, and thus less space…

But the pen got thinner. Keep that up and they’ll eventually find a hole it fits into.

2 Likes

Like the idea, but Samsung told us that customers simply want thinner pens

I saw a report (can’t remember where) quoting the Samsung engineers as saying the reason for no silo was same as no periscope lens - they wouldn’t sacrifice battery space/life for either one…

I had hoped I’d be deciding whether I could just draw (pun intended) a line in the sand with my SP8 and a Fold 5, but given I can’t make OneNote on my SP8 cease its pen disconnection (OneNote works fine on the iPad and my Slim Pen works fine everywhere else except in Word where it does the same nonsense) I’m going back down the rabbit hole…

From Samsung or MS?

For me, it’s another year with the Fold 3. Wonder why Samsung bothers with these events when almost 100% of the info on the products announed is leaked. Was some expecting a “one more thing” moment with a trifold announcement.

1 Like

The most intense criticism about the Fold is the tall/thin aspect ratio. Pixel Fold and the new Honor Magic V2 all get kudos for being wider. If Samsung was willing to think along those lines, wouldn’t there be room for both a bigger battery and a siloed pen?

3 Likes

In many ways these are Fold 3, Fold 3s, and Fold 3se

2 Likes

We’ve said several times now that we don’t expect a silo in the hinge.

Sorry to get snappy, but you don’t seem to have been listening (well, reading).