Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 - News and Rumors

I’m afraid the hope for a silo is waning…

Watch Shane’s video for an explanation of the water drop/dumbell hinge design that Samsung will reportedly use on the ZF5 to minimize screen creasing:

Unfortunately - that design image and his explanation makes me even more concerned about NO silo since they are obviously using the extra 0.2mm per side to accommodate the internal storage of the screen itself…

1 Like

My Fold 3 could then see another year of usage if the 5 drops without a siloed pen.

2 Likes

Not that it replaces a silo but I’ve heard there is a new clever case for it that handles the stylus storage much better.

2 Likes

Yes, but far more complain about the visibility of the crease than express a desire or even care about a pen.

Tyranny of the majority…

OTOH when I had my Fold 3 I essentially stopped noticing the crease generally after about a week of using it.

2 Likes

Is it basically impossible to build a Note style S Pen (stick) for the Fold?

No but it may not be worth the effort/expense.

One thing that people continue to discount is how incredibly complex the folds hinge/screen tech is. And adding a silo except possibly along one edge of the device would make it all the more so. Especially if they put it in the center as most would like.

I just assumed it would have to be in one of the frame edges - especially since it doesn’t recharge…

1 Like

And I think Samsung is unlikely to ever do that as among other things it would make the device asymmetrical which is antithetical to Samsungs current design ethos.

So @Desertlap, this is our only hope?

Haven’t seen anything yet, but I’m sure there are people trying things. Anything would be better than the Samsung case for the Fold 3 was.

I thought the Spigen Thin Fit with pen slot was “better” but the non-symmetrical spacing, as you noted before, was very off-putting in practical use.

Same here. For me the whole cease thing is overrated.

If they ever do add a silo, I really don’t expect it along the hinge.

There’s already far too much going on in there for it to be worth it, especially if they also want to have the pen have Bluetooth too.

Down a side would be much better and easier to do, probably the one without the camera module. And people are still complaining that the outer display is too narrow, so they could use the few extra mm to make that wider too. Or, you know, add some physical/tactile buttons or something…

Headlines like this are catching my attention:

More and more I read the Fold 5 is basically going to be Fold 4a - but for the improved (teardrop) hinge to reduce the crease, and perhaps a little better main camera, it’s only a slightly updated Fold 4. There’s no word of Oppo Find N2 officially shipping to the US, and the daily Apple rumor mill cuts back on the “improvements” the iPhone 15 will bring (mostly going gaga over USB-C, but is it real or just USB-2 in disguise, PLUS significant price hikes).

Looks like 2023 is going to be a long, slow, boring march to broken drum…

3 Likes

On the plus side, should Microsoft re-envision the Duo 3 more as a Fold Competitor, a mouse fart refresh for a Fold 5 gives Microsoft extra time to play catch up since they like to be a tech gen or two behind.

3 Likes

Keeping my Fold 3 if the 5 doesn’t come with a silo for the s-pen.

1 Like

Quick summary of latest rumors:

Same design language as Fold 4
Teardrop hinge so flat (no gap) with less crease
May (I stress MAY) include dust rating this time
Same overall height and width
Thinner (2mm +/-) on hinge side
Same cameras as S23+ (not ultra)
No pen silo (but maybe a “holster” whatever that means)

Basically 5th verse same as the 3rd (and 4th)

3 Likes

Another year together, me and my Fold 3.

1 Like

From the little time I’ve spent with the Fold 4, the slightly wider front screen was nearly irrelevant, so this could be a good development for your pocketbook. What worries me is that Samsung is stubbornly clinging to the tall-narrow design, when the Oppo Find N2 is clearly leading the way to a better format (in this humble users eyes, and likely Microsoft’s - I still think they are going to rip off the N2 design for the Duo 3)…

1 Like

If those rumors are true I would say they are getting fat and lazy in Seoul. IBM 3.0?

2 Likes