5 Likes

D@mn, that’s cold. :innocent:

2 Likes

I don’t see a poll feature, whoever made that one poll ahem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:doh: :index_pointing_at_the_viewer: :+1:

1 Like

I’d still vote that he’d keep it.

He won’t stay in the Apple house forever.

1 Like

Hit the gear wheel and you should see the poll feature. :wink: You can do polls within a conversation too so it doesn’t necessarily have to be the top/original post.

Couple of months with this device and it’s grown on me. I’m convinced Sammy got it right over the Duo and even the Oppo and Honor/ Huawei foldables.

Still think the Z fold 4 should come with an S pen slot (no brainer) and in two sizes: a Fold 4 that keeps the current size, and a wider Fold 4 plus.

Hope those lurking tech journalists followed us over to this new home and are taking notes.

3 Likes

‘Fold 4 confirmed to have this long awaited feature… click here to go to the article.’

The “click here” isn’t working?

:wink:

I’m finding that the one key feature for me is, the ability to comfortably read research paper or textbook PDFs. Just that alone will make me stay with foldables.

3 Likes

@Desertlap, you’re the only person I’m sure rocks a US Fold 3, so here’s a question for you, does the US version have eSIM compatibility such that one can use two SIMs simultaneously like a combination of a nano-SIM and eSIM?
Thanks in advance.

@Nnthemperor

Unfortunately not on any US version of the Fold 3 carrier or unlocked. There is a belief/hope that since the mainboard is believed for all intents and purposes, the same as in the s21 (which does have esim capability in some markets ) that the capability is there for the Fold 3 as well but is “turned off” via firmware.

We have not seen any reliable claims/evidence of esim capability in any US models and unlike the international models, including “unlocked” there is only one nano sim slot whereas the international models have two. It would not surprise me in the least that they dropped the chip support for esim with the same change that gives US models only one nano slot.

BTW: Blame US carriers for this as they all actively fight against any dual sim support either dual slot or esim in US models. The IPhone is the notable exception as Apple more or less tells carriers what they will get :frowning:

5 Likes

That s#@ks!

The international versions like the Japanese one has only a SIM card slot but supports eSIM + nano-SIM dual standby.

2 Likes

First “long term usage report” I’ve seen on the Fold 3. Yes it’s video and I’ve stated my preference otherwise, but this one still has merit.

One note (pun intended) on this is that I agree that it seems an obvious miss on the surface that the fold 3 doesn’t support the pen on the outer display. However I think he also misses that it’s far more likely a technical issue with interference with yet another EMR Grid. Something that took extensive work just to solve with the Fold 3’s internal display and it’s two EMR grids.

As anecdotal evidence of that, I’ve discovered under certain circumstances, the inner display will pick up pen contact on the back of the phone as input. It’s very inconsistent and not at all accurate, but indicates to me that at a minimum putting pen support on the outer display would require additional shielding and thus make an already very thick phone, even thicker.

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 review, eight months later in 2022 - SamMobile

4 Likes

Since they are already doing significant processing on the controller to handle the digitizer gap, I think the main cost would be extra routing complexity and energy consumption. The shielding layer is already quite thin, relative to the display stack:

(iFixit)

1 Like

Couldn’t they put in a switch to turn off the internal grid when closed?

2 Likes

A fantastically bad pun and a good price, what’s not to like:

1 Like

Update: 72 Hour Used Galaxy Z Fold 3 Test:

1. :+1: :+1: If you are looking for a good deal on used Fold3, check out yywireless (seller) on eBay. This was a “Good” condition item according to them and it came without a scratch on screens, back, or frame (beautiful) and great working condition, now for the rest of the story…

2. :heart_eyes: LOVE the big screen. Chrome is a dream and reading attachments in emails is near perfect given the “tablet in your pocket” convenience. Disney+ and other streaming services work great. It makes editing in Word/Excel much better, but for the fact they are not as good implementations as the iPadOS versions.

3. :rage: OneNote on Android. Oversized head menus use up a lot of space even on the big beautiful inner screen. Pen control is poor (seems to be permanently set to a “chisel” point like a calligraphy pen so writing looks even more terrible than my hen scratching). Tried varying width of pen point but no help - guess just my poor right hand muscle control. The lasso select is a poor imitation of even iPadOS version.

4. :disappointed: Office 365. It has gotten better, but still a long ways to go to even reach iPadOS…

5. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Android. Having a devil of a time getting this set up in a useable mode/mixture of apps, icons, and gestures. Can’t even figure out how to turn off that annoying Samsung notification sound every time something happens (set it to “Silent” then just turned off all notifications - lot of help there).

6. :disappointed: RingCentral. No better than on my iPhone 13 Pro/iPad Pro combination.

7. :vb-puke: Two Phones is a PITA. I blame myself for this - juggling two phones is beyond annoying and I should have learned this lesson long ago when I fought the “company phone” vs “my phone” battles. In fact, having two phones is worse than having one most of the time.

8. :man_shrugging: Overall a B-/B: So far, the gorgeous giant screen brings the score way up from the software doldrums. The quandary (and I can already see the outcome) is that there’s no upside to carrying two phones just to get the bigger screen, especially since RingCentral is no better on the Fold 4 than 13 pro…

5 Likes

Did I really blink? How come I missed the beginning of this? So, to keep or not to keep?
As someone juggling the ZF3 and SDuo, I don’t see any problem with two phones. Why don’t you use the Fold as more of an Android tablet?