Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 - News and Rumors

Everyone here knows I’m the epitome of pessimism, but the tech press overexuberance often warrants my skepticism and scorn. Take for example this article that praises the Fold 5 for losing 13 grams and dropping from 14.2 to 13.4 mm thick -

OMG - that’s a WHOLE 0.46 ounces lighter and 1/32" Don’t sneeze, you might miss it! In all fairness, no gap and less crease are nice improvements, but seriously, these stats are nothing to herald…

AND WORSE STILL, these achievements are being cited in numerous other publications for WHY there will be no siloed S Pen this year again.

Fold 5 is looking like a hard pass for me without a silo or an ultra version.

If they are continuing to skip the silo, I really wish they’d come out with a stick pen so these pen cases could be more compact.

1 Like

I see you guys still don’t believe that the whole hinge/fold mechanism would require a total overhaul to incorporate a Silo… :grin:

This I think is a slight possibility, perhaps as part of a new case. OTOH the biggest argument against it would be Samsungs (and the rest of the OEMs) disdain for non symmetrical designs.

Not to mention that the fold screen while surprisingly durable, is still orders of magnitude softer that that of the S23 ultra. And basic physics shows that the smaller the pen, the more concentrated the force. In other words the size of the current fold pen is one factor employed to keep users from pressing too hard.

Just sayin…

2 Likes

PS: we heard that during the initial private tests prior to the release of the Fold 3, that Samsung initially allowed use of any S-pen, but quickly retracted it due to users damaging the screen

1 Like

OK, I’ll bite - WHY? What does the hinge have to do with a pen slot on the outer edge of the device, aka the S23U and prior Notes?

OK Microsoft - here’s your epiphany moment: since you are so good at reversing course on the drop of a pin, stick with the dual screen design of the Duo, narrow the centerline gap, and finally bring out that twelve year old N-Trig design for a capacitive pen that will fit in a slot on the device!

OR - better still

Buy Wacom and put an end to this N-Trig nonsense!

3 Likes

At 'em!

Our brave champion of (lost, but) noble causes…

Not asking for a silo in the hinge, mate. Even basic logic says that would be too complex.

But there is the other side of the phone.

:vb-agree: :vb-lol: :vb-lol: :vb-lol:

Looking at the latest leaks and renderings it looks like the Fold 5 is going to be a giant snooze fest. The new hinge seems to be the only improvement.

2 Likes

It’s probably going to take some serious competition before Samsung ups its game further on folding devices. They’re still the only game in town.

1 Like

That may be true for the US but in Asia you have several offerings from Xiaomi and OnePlus and some other company whose name slipped my mind.

It looks like OnePlus and Google will enter the US market with folds, though the latter doesn’t appear to have a stylus. The OnePlus is based on the Oppo Find N2’s successor, N3, and the previous versions did have a stylus so Samsung’s Z Fold might finally get real competition from OnePlus this year in the eyes of those who want a pen.

2 Likes

Plus here in Japan, I’m yet to see anyone rocking a foldable. It’s not popular at all. People get surprised seeing my fold 3. Like most have never heard of it.

Yeah, but you seem to forget all about software. Samsung’s way ahead there.

1 Like

I’m not interested for myself but if I was I would wait to see, since nobody has handled one yet, at least nobody who can say anything. It’s entirely possible that they reworked their software at OnePlus specifically for their new Fold. It’s not like they don’t have a target to shoot for.

They must sell well enough, as AU stuck with them. And they even replaced my 2019 Fold with a 2019 Fold in March.

I’m not in Japan anymore, but most people seemed to know about them, though they were still interested/surprised/impressed. And that was in bum fuzz inaka.

Wonder if it is because Samsung is Korean? It is the same thing with Hyundai, Kia and other Korean cars, I have yet to see one. However, after Yoon’s visit to Tokyo things may start to open up, no?

I have seen it at Au as well, but I don’t think they have them in the store. You have to wait a week or so for it to arrive. Granted, I’m in fuzz inaka. :sweat_smile:

I doubt that. After all they sell LG TVs in Japanese shops. The thing is, yours truly included, Hyundai and Kia are not the first things that come to the minds of anyone looking to buy a car in Japan.