Pixel Fold

@lisaMobileTechReview has uploaded her Galaxy Fold 5 vs Pixel Fold smackdown and it’s a good one (as usual).

Bottom line, it depends on your preferences. Top three:

• Aspect Ratio: Pixel Fold
  • S-Pen (duh): Galaxy Fold
  • Camera: Pixel Fold

Of the two I would want the Pixel way more. It’s a Duo Uno without the gap, full usable smartphone when closed, and unlike Samsung they added their top-of-the-line cameras—including 5x telephoto lens, yummy.

But the lack of pen means it can’t replace my iPad mini 6 so there’s zero point. And $1800? I thought that was a painful lot to pay for my Mac mini with the 12/19 core M2 Pro, and that pulls its weight for me. A smartphone that expensive which can’t be my replacement small tablet due to lack of pen? Heck, I only use my iPhone 13 Pro occasionally and its main importances are hotspot on the go and the camera. I use my Watch way more and wish it could be linked to a cellular iPad mini instead so I could ditch the iPhone. Though I guess I still would need it for the camera. Darn.

Ahem, digression aside, I can’t consider the Galaxy Fold either because of the aspect ratio, thickness, price, and horrible experiences with Samsung two years ago when I went all-in with their watch, phone, and tablet. Never again! (Until I do.)

TLDR: No Fold for me this year.

3 Likes

And here’s the full Pixel Fold review from @lisaMobileTechReview

:+1: :+1:

3 Likes

I still don’t get the appeal of a what is essentially a two-handed foldable when closed.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Interesting optimism that a Google folding phone will finally move developers to support more varied resolutions/app window sizes in their apps. 5 Samsung model cycles have barely made a dent. :thinking:

1 Like

Fortunately it’s not a mandatory purchase. There are alternatives aplenty. Diff’rent strokes and all that.

I have never one-handed my phones. Nope, not even my 4” iPhone SE.

Totally agree–it’s why I still have an iPhone Pro Max. LOL.

I do have fairly large hands for a woman, but I can operate the Pixel Fold when closed using one hand.

7 Likes

Thanks for what you do.

Most of the reviews I’ve seen are just the opposite - it is “short” enough to reach one handed and wide enough to be useful as a full time phone.

1 Like

It’s one of the reasons I still have my Note 10.

2 Likes

Just saw in your clip you moved to northern California - congrats on escaping the pressure cooker known as Texas…we’ve ONLY had 37 days over 100 since June 1…

3 Likes

I know, another horrible year in Texas. Last summer when we left, I think we’d already had twice as many over 100F days as this year, which is hard to imagine. So good to be back in the Bay Area.

2 Likes

The Weather Channel said this may be the “coolest” summer for the next several years - never thought Midland would become the next Phoenix/Las Vegas (without all the accompanying amenities)…

weather channel said the same thing about my part of California too. uuuhhh good luck cooling tablet that gets hot. lol

Another great review. Too bad no stylus support.

I don’t like the shorter size of the Pixel fold. I don’t like the narrow profile of the Galaxy Fold series either. I think Huawei and the other Chinese OEMs nailed it with the full sized but thin devices. Still SW and S-pen support means Samsung is still the only option at least for me

2 Likes

Are you thinking of the Honor Magic V2?
Wonder if they’ll make it available outside China.

1 Like

Yeah the Huawei and the other one set to launch this summer. Not that I’d buy any though.

1 Like

If they released a model that handles Keitai saifu in Japan I’d be sorely tempted. Yes, I am aware that it will send a lot of info back to China, but I will probably survive the Chinese government knowing when I visit MickeyD.

2 Likes

If even Samsung don’t use the name Samsung in Japan, then the chances of a Chinese OEM being allowed to gain traction are less than zero.

Walk into any phone shop in Japan, and after Apple, most of the phones you’ll see are Oppo, Xiaomi, and Huawei, mostly Chinese OEMs. Sony is preferred but how many phone models does it make these days?