Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4

The difference this time old buddy is that the right brain is dominating the left now that I’ve found the Mac/iPad combo can do what I need for business (left brain) and they satisfy the right brain in so many ways.

2 Likes

“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change -” ― Heraclitus.

3 Likes

Watched Unpacked. Soo, soo many corporate buzzwords. But I liked the Flip bespoke.

3 Likes

I thought the production was odd. It seemed so impersonal, interspersed with device reveals that were supposed to rival the most precious events of our lives, like the birth of our children. Odd indeed.

2 Likes

I skipped the first half on the Flip, but my reaction to the Fold 4 part, in Apple parlance, is that it should be named the Galaxy Z Fold 3s. The interesting surprise is if you have a Fold 3 OR Fold 4 you get a $1000 trade in credit, on top of the other goodies (free upgrade to 512gb, pre-reg $100 credit, free case+pen).

@Nnthemperor - no change here…

1 Like

Started watching but gave up 8mins into the presentation. They were just overdoing everything.

2 Likes

That was an easy one! Not like Samsung tempted you (me too) in any way. Round one goes to @dstrauss!

2 Likes

I nearly quit with the baguette hand puppet…then did drop out during the whole Flip Gen Z cr@p - guess that’s the REAL reason they stuck with “Galaxy Z” moniker

3 Likes

If I had the Fold 3 the only thing of interest would be whether the total credits ($100-300) plus trade-in ($1000) warranted getting a new device with the free one-year complete care contract…

1 Like

I think I can trade in my Note 10 and get a Fold 4 out the door for $700. That is a Verizon phone with the memory upgrade to 512GB, free S Pen and case and 1 year complete care. The credit for my Note 10 is $600 and I’m including the $100 reservation credit. If they’d just put the pen in a silo.

4 Likes

Flip 4 fixes the battery life, which was what stopped me from getting the 3, but still didn’t fix the lack of S-Pen. Camera upgrade is a nice one too.

1 Like

You’re in like Flint my man - that’s a great deal! $600 for the Note 10 - just looked an an iPhone 13 Pro gets $5 LESS.

Expect a review, with pics, by Sunday August 28!

2 Likes

I can’t even get the pre-order page to load. I sat through the whole stupid video. All that about productivity and all that mutlitasking showed off all on that internal screen and no mention of Dex. I guess we don’t want to cut into tablet sales now do we?

4 Likes

Question. If you had an unlimited budget, would you equip your kids with Folds for homeschooling?

No. I just don’t think they need cellular for homeschool, and a good laptop, or even a good chrome notebook, would be far better for school work.

2 Likes

No. For now, we’re using the tablets to basically be digital workbooks, so being the size of paper, and a really good pen are the priorities. Eventually, I’ll need to introduce them to the wonderful world of powerpoint as it seems they start in elementary school around here with having kids do presentations in power point. So, we’ll stick with the windows tablets with s pens for as long as we possibly can. The only other option would be samsung tablets with spens. We started with iPads, but the pens were constantly dead and needed to be charged before we could work. I will not use pens that need to be charged. The zfold is nice, especially paired with a Dex desktop set up, but the drawing canvas is too small for the workbooks we do.

I don’t forsee moving to chromebooks. Every time they come up in homeschooling groups, people caution against them. There are still too many things that require actual computer programs as you get higher up. If anything, as the kids grow responsible enough to keep pens charged, they may get surface devices.

If money were no object, I might get boox note airs when they come in color. That’d keep the kids on task.

6 Likes

That’s an interesting perspective, thanks for that.

In our customer base, in which education is a minority generally, we have a mix of higher ed and K12 customers.

Higher ED, at least so far hasn’t really gone in for Chromebooks other than things like admittance or basic skills tests.

OTOH K12 has gone for them in a major way including up to high school level. I think by far the driving factor is cost, but security is also a major factor, not to mention decent TCO arguments.

OTOH, I think you’ve hit upon one of my biggest concerns with Chromebooks which is that they don’t give exposure to the more advanced apps and secondarily things like a Pen, that will either be required or at least highly useful beyond high school.

It’s an ongoing discussion point with our local school board…

PS: just as an aside, the Amazon warehouses are a bastion of Chromebooks in the corporate world.

1 Like

What a massive damp squib. Glad I didn’t bother watching the live steam.

Not sure why they even bothered releasing these. Maintaining momentum I guess?

Pen silo. Bring back the notch of the original Fold (the only notch I like). Put the same cameras as the S series in it. And a bigger front display for the Flip like Motorola does.

The one major rule with children: Keep individual parts to the absolute minimum as they will get lost, forgotten, or broken.

Though really you could still apply that rule me.

This is one of those things I can get away with because I only have three students. One of the reasons I homeschool is there are many things we can do as a family that don’t scale to 30 kids at a time, or 300, or 1500 if you’re the IT guy for the highschool. It took a lot of work to get each windows tablet set up for each kid, and microsoft family safety is not exactly a robust screen time management solution. It takes a lot of active adult monitoring that one teacher with 25 kids in a room could not effectively manage. Chromebook management scales easily because you don’t have to manage the devices themselves, just the network they connect to.

2 Likes