Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4

@Bronsky - brute force always works best for me…

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drill-America-12-Piece-6-90mm-x-109-00mm-Black-Oxide-Coated-Hss-Twist-Drill-Bit/1001346026

2 Likes

Now that it has been nearly become gospel there will be no S-Pen silo for the Fold 4, Samsung still needs to offer an S-Pen stick that would fit in a SMALL slot in a case for the Fold 4 - think of the bulky and wide Spine case but just a SMALL slot for a stick instead of the full size pen. A compromise, but at least something better than the bulky cases…

2 Likes

At this point, I’d just settle for a harder screen where we can use S-pens from Staedtler and Lamy.

2 Likes

Well it looks like the Fold 4 new Flip etc. finally have a date.

Rumors say, significant improvements to the Flip, but only tweaks/iterations to the Fold. And no pen silo for the fold… :slight_smile:

Samsung’s latest foldables will reportedly launch on August 10th - The Verge

PS: Being somewhat serious for the moment, minor tweaks are all we are likely to get unless there is a significant advance in folding screen tech

If there will be no silo (I’d say that one is 100% at this point) then they need to get on with designing a stick pen and smaller case as a (meager) substitute for a siloed pen.

1 Like

I was thinking of do it yourself solutions but the need for the special tip on a Fold foils anything like that. I almost forgot that roadblock.

I believe they are coming out with a rather clever case solution.

1 Like

Spill the beans Kuma!

1 Like

sounds like no pen support for the Flip line up still. Booo hisss.

I don’t understand why they don’t go the telescopic stylus route. The necessary parts of EMR styluses are really quite small.

Sure, it wouldn’t be the greatest to use and the tech press would have a field day, but for a stylus that’s always there, most Spen users would like greatly appreciate.

Of course, as well as our favourite tech media sites, quite a few people would make stupid posts after not reading the manual or watching the tutorial.

yeah - like the one that “peeled” the protective layer off the first Fold… :laughing:

It was some obscure Japanese site that mainly deals with peripherals and unfortunately I didn’t bookmark it. There was a picture (or render, can’t remember) and in essence they utilized the smaller hinge to make a flexible pen silo and two small kickstands that let you stand the Fold 4 so you could take notes on it. It was more than a month ago, but I’ll see if I can find it again.

2 Likes

Given no pen silo, the only things that MIGHT sway me to upgrade are: if they switch to using a conventional S-pen so that it could bring my numerous S-pen collection back into play. And/or I feel that I’m on borrowed time with the folding screen durability to which I’d be resetting the warranty clock. I might gamble on that one and keep waiting until the 4 goes on large discount… unless the 5 has a rumored pen silo…

Is it almost time to start an official thread? As in “without the speculation label” in preparation for the August 10 launch event?

Just so long as you don’t add “Will he or won’t he?” to the title!

2 Likes

Not until it’s officially announced.

1 Like

And who would write such a title?!? :thinking:

1 Like

Samsung is paying good size bonuses for early signup for a “reservation” prior to the 8/10 reveal - DO NOT ask how I know this. :flushed:

3 Likes

Provide that comparison leak photo of the Zfold 3 vs zFold 4’s front screen is legit, I decided to overlay the 4 over the 3 to get a better idea of the screen size increase. It would appear the increase is purely proportional to the decrease of the hinge.

Am a bit curious if that same 1-2-ish mm extra would be on the inside screens as wel.

2 Likes

I’m really curious as well about the various competing renders out there, specifically when it comes to the hinge. Having had and used daily the Fold 3, the design of it’s hinge had one positive tangible benefit which was that it served as anchor including for orientation when you picked it up.

In other words. I don’t think I ever picked it up/opened it “upside down”. Something that is not true of my iPhone or S22 Ultra

1 Like