Windows 11

But the “thunk” of wood on an empty skull is much more satisfying…

1 Like

Insert “that escalated quickly” meme here… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Explains my avatar…

1 Like

It makes me happy every time I see it. I love that movie. “Shadows and dust.”

1 Like

:no_good_man:

1 Like

Does anyone here still use Cortana in Windows 11? For me the app has trouble signing in, or recognizing that I’m already signed in.

Symptoms: app asks for login info, then states “we’re having trouble signing you in”. At the same time the app menu offers an option to sign out. I tried doing that and then signing in, no change. Also tried resetting the app, also didn’t help.

1 Like

She’s revolting, after all the attention Sydney is receiving. :laughing:

(Sorry I have nothing productive to add, but lame AI jokes.)

3 Likes

What’s Cortana?

Cortana was the new Clippy, but is now an underpowered and abandoned assistant that can’t hold a candle to Bing chat…

I can vouch for that.

Until it is rebranded and revamped and reannounced as a voice system fully driven by ChatGPT.

2 Likes

One could only hope. :slight_smile: I’m just now on a long walk, and I’d love to chat about some technical terms in an article that I’m listening to. I can totally picture people walking around talking to their favorite LLM in the coming year.

Last Chance … Any warnings?
I am considering upgrading my Surface Studio 2 to Windows 11.

Other than a few older .NET apps which are already installed, and an older Scan Snap scanner, I don’t THINK I have any compatibility risks.

Anyone want to warn me off?

I’ve been happy with Win11, just note there are still some things missing. So maybe skim over those and see if they matter to you.

Thanks for this. The most annoying thing is the taskbar. I keep mine on the right edge of the screen in W10 on this device. Not a deal breaker, but annoying.

2 Likes

Agreed. And while there are apps that fix some of these, they may introduce glitches or break altogether when Windows updates.

Still, windows 11 feels fresh and more polished than the work-in-progress that the Windows 10 UI was. I like it.

1 Like

Yes, and no.

For my part, I don’t like it. The rounding just seems gratuitous and inconsistent (and I hate that it caused me to lose pixels in my display because someone at Samsung decided that obscuring them was a good idea).

Above all, I hate the whole scrolling w/ a stylus thing, and it kills me that I can’t find a web browser which would allow selecting text on a Discourse forum, and that I have to constantly leave Settings open so that I can toggle the use stylus as a mouse preference on or off depending on which app I’m running.

Yes, having and using a stylus is more important than these things, no, I’m not happy about it, I don’t like it, and I really want to find some alternative.

1 Like

Yeah it’s not for everyone. Personally I rarely run into pen or touch related annoyances anymore. Other than the left edge swipe being those god awful widgets, the system tray up-swipe being difficult when a surface like keyboard is attached, the three finger app switch gesture working just about one out of every four attempts, and PowerPoint getting very crashy very quickly while using ink during a presentation. Otherwise I’m all good. :joy:

In better news, Cortana seems to have been un-lobotomized this morning, I was able to sign in again. :+1:t2:

1 Like