Windows 11

It’s been more than annoying with my SP8 because of my sloppy handwriting - I am always triggering something in the taskbar even when I have it autohide. In Win10 I always had the taskbar on the right edge of the screen so it wouldn’t interfere with handwriting in OneNote…a significant loss at this point.

3 Likes

How’s that frontotemporal disorder (FTD) working for her?

I think that’s a Sydney/ChatGPT disorder (limited context). I actually want “her” to develop multiple personality disorder. Handle simple requests as Cortana, and forward whatever I type to Bing chat for more complex or freeform queries.

1 Like

So Cortana becomes Cerberus?

Based on the Google search results, I hope not! :scream:

1 Like

On my surface go 2 it works fine (I mean I miss the screen snip action panel shortcut and the taskbar calendar but otoh I am getting accustomed to the new gestures and the minimized/semi-autohide taskbar). No incompatibilities found yet (played some old games / emulators on it, used a few older programs and several uwp & pwa apps).

1 Like

I kind of like the keyboard shortcut (SHFT-WinKey-S) on win 11 myself…

2 Likes

Me too actually.

1 Like

I waited quite a long time. I took the plunge only last month. I have it on my Go2 and Pro X now. It’s okay.

1 Like

MS is actually working to have that same screenshot interface show up when you hit the PrtScr button. Even simpler. :+1:t2:

1 Like

That feature is already there on the beta channel.

2 Likes

About time they had a real use for PrtSc - has been the longest vestige of cathode ray tube days…

2 Likes

I still enjoy Alt-prtscr for capturing the active window or dialog box. But yes, otherwise agreed.

Yeah but I use it most of the times as a tablet when I need the screen snip function. Though this is less of an issue for the Studio (when you can press the print screen button) and the Surface pen does offer a handy extra button for screen snips.

I find Prt Sc useful for documentation/tech support purposes since it guarantees grabbing the current screen state, including opened menus and so forth.

1 Like

Could this be a possible escape hatch (for you at least)?

Then you can work on breaking out the family… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @Marty, but I already gave Phone Link a test drive, and thanks to Apple’s refusal (privacy protection?) to open the interface, it does a pretty poor job. You get no history of prior iMessages - only those that come/go during your current session - and once you close your SP8 (sleep or shut down) it flushes everything that took place during that session. So if you move from place to place it is Groundhog Day starting fresh each time you open your Windows device. No sharing of files/photos either, but you can make calls (kind of)…like Phil Shiller said (paraphrased) “Do you really think we want to let you peons in Windows/Android enjoy our private garden that we keep all our users locked in?”

2 Likes

Unrelated, but @Desertlap I recall a long time ago we discussed the observation that for some of your customers (iirc) simply opening Office apps the external display would turn black for like a second, after which things return to normal. This is still happening quite often on my SLS (iGPU) + Lenovo TB3 dock + Dell U2717D. Did you ever find a fix?

More of a workaround than a true fix which was to install the Intel display drivers versus the windows update certified ones.

The significant drawback is that it decreases battery life by as much as 20% in some cases according to customers.

1 Like

Thanks! Pretty amazing that such a highly visible bug is left to linger this long. :open_mouth: