Windows 11

There’s actually an option to turn this off, but I always have the hardest time locating it. It should be here: Settings > System > Notifications & actions > Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows

Edit: looks like they moved it around. Now it’s System > Notifications > Additional settings

4 Likes

:+1:

Thanks! I’ve made a note of it. I bet they reset that after an update, though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Or they move and rename the option to make it harder to find. I edited my post, because it’s now in System > Notifications > Additional settings They were all actually on for me, so thanks for the excuse to go hunt these settings down. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Running Windows 11 on a Galaxy Book 10 no problem here.

Well other than the UI being designed for an SDD and not EMMC (especially an older version like this one). Not a big issue though.

In terms of Microsoft foisting their own services on me… after initial setup I’ve not had any issues with that. No nagging at all. Sure, if it’s the first time opening a file type they put their options at the top, but that’s not an issue.

I don’t use Edge at all though, so perhaps that helps? I used to though and I don’t recall it taking over anything I didn’t ask it to.

1 Like

WOW - next big feature is tabs for Notes -

Wait until you see prohibition on the screen shot Bowden found on the internet…classic

2 Likes

As a side, because it I got annoyed by how easy it is to do unwanted drag & drops in Windows; I increased the minimum pixel offset (both width/height) in Regedit. Saved me a lot of frustration (just dont make it too high since it effects some other things too, but like multiply it by 3 or such).

3 Likes

Speaking of file management, this isn’t a bug but more a wish that there was some level of control over the behavior of one drive.

Possibly a niche use case more generally, but I frequently copy large numbers of files to my surface Pro. But it’s sort of weigh station until I can copy them off to another drive or file share.

The issue I have is that the moment I copy the files, one drive attempts to sync them and I have no need/desire to have them on my one drive share.

I could of course just turn one drive sync off globally or even specify specific folders that don’t sync but give the wide range of files that would be a headache as well.

What I’d like to see is a user controllable setting such as “sync this after 24 hours” or something along those lines.

5 Likes

Is the current goal of the Windows development team (or their marketing/advertising overlords) to make users hate Windows even more than they already do?

My Surface Go2 was up to date last time I shut it down. This morning I went to prep it for charity donation, took NO MORE THAN one minute from startup to getting it going on complete Windows reset. In that minute it detected an update so it made it mandatory to download and install the update (metered connection) as part of the reset. So there I was staring at the black screen with a message that it was updating and don’t turn off the computer. For half an hour and a gigabyte or two of my precious data. :anger: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I really feel like 100% dumping Windows this fine morning.

4 Likes

Other than the new scheduler and errrm, tabs in Explorer, the current Windows team have done nothing good for Windows. In fact, they’ve taken a wrecking ball to it and then stuck their fingers in their ears.

Please direct your feedback to the filing cabinet in the basement.

Daily occurrence of some sort around here…regedit anyone?

Which is over next to the Windows computers…

So frustrating… I feel (some of) your pain. Two weeks ago Win 10 decide to install 22H2 on my X220t. I’d been putting that off since it caused a BSOD and boot loop. Surprise surprise, it still does. Even better, rolling back to the prior version doesn’t work. I was able to get into safe mode, but I still have to try and find which device is causing the BSOD. So annoying.

Edit: was able to fix this. Only took the better part of an afternoon.

3 Likes

SP8 (i5/16gb/1tb/LTE)

Yes. It is still here and likely my last Windows computer. Current thinking is to try to make it last to retirement in a few years.

We deployed this update to most internal users this morning. It’s one of the better if not flashy windows updates in awhile IMHO.

Tabs in explorer and folders in the start menu are immediately helpful.

One thing that puzzles me is that there are a ton of security fixes in this update especially if you use VPNs (especially a fairly nasty man in the middle vulnerability) or third party browsers, but they don’t get any mention in this article and they are not real prominent even in MS own information.

Windows 11’s big 2022 update comes to your PC: 5 features to try first | PCWorld

2 Likes

PSA/reminder: if like me you hate seeing the “finish setting up” screen after updates, remember that you can turn this and other annoyances off by going to Settings>Notifications>Additional Settings (all the way at the bottom) and then unchecking the first two options.

3 Likes

Another useful W10 feature, just few more to go Microsloth :ok_hand:

5 Likes

That’s huge for me. That’s the last thing I needed for Windows 11 for the Start Menu to be perfect for me and it was dreadfully needed. I have only used Start11 for account for the Start Menu shortcomings, but I have had to repeatedly restart Explorer.exe with Start11. Start11 causes issues with the system GUI, where I cannot switch to program windows by clicking on them in the taskbar. Once I get my folders configured, I will be promptly uninstalling it now since it is unnecessary bloat from this point onward.

1 Like

I still have it for expanding the text on the taskbar icons. Pretty helpful on wide screens with few documents open. I also think it allows dropping files on the taskbar to open them with a pinned app or to bring the corresponding explorer window to the foreground. I think Win11 still hasn’t brought these Win10 features back.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve gone off Start11 too. Windows 11 is better now.

I tried Explorer Patch and AllStartBack, but both were buggy. The UI was faster, but if Explorer keeps crashing it ain’t worth it.

[Insert rant about missing features and radio silence from Microsoft]

I know I mostly use Windows 11 on unsupported hardware, but for some reason it’s gotten very laggy for me recently again. This isn’t something that has happened with upgrading any other computer to a new Windows I’ve used. Perhaps it’s a driver issue and I’m sod out of luck?

1 Like

Gripe of the day on Windows 11. Why is it that with every single even tiny update to Windows, that it asks me once again, when I insert a USB drive or a microSD card, what would I like Windows to do when they are attached?

Right up there with Edge seemingly every third time I launch it, to asking me to configure/customize it.

Admittedly it may not be as bad for most as it is for me since due to the job, I work on a lot of different systems in any given week.

4 Likes