Windows 11

Drives me nuts.

1 Like

Firefox does this too occasionally, but not as frequently as Edge it seems. Or maybe it just looks worse on Edge because I rarely use it, so almost every time I open Edge I get that update screen. :grin:

2 Likes

Looks like Microsoft force re-installed their crappy widgets on my non-Insider system after yesterday’s cumulative update. :roll_eyes:

Luckily, I was able to uninstall again with winget at least (needed admin command prompt though).

3 Likes

The new widgets are so much worse than Vista’s. Full of spam you can’t remove and laggy.

Just tried to use them while offline and not a single widget loads.

They only good thing is that the weather taskbar part looks good.

2 Likes

I really don’t understand it. If it were configurable like the comparatively excellent Microsoft Launcher on Android, it would seem so much nicer. Whoever got the idea of “let’s put a permanent, buggy and unmodifiable billboard here to continually annoy our customers as they already try to adapt to a new OS UI” has rocks in their skull.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I suspect they got bonuses and continue to get them for the boost it gives to their department’s quarterly, ignoring what it does to other departments or long term. Besides, if you need Windows you’re a completely captive audience for such billboards and can’t do anything but vent fruitless complaints.

4 Likes

When pumped Panos was discussing this new release, he was saying they were seeing “the most engagement” of any Windows version, I wonder which fraction of the engagement is people angrily clicking “less of news like this” on yet another infuriating article in the news feed…

6 Likes

It only took FOUR click through screens to turn down the offer (no, nearly DEMAND) to DOWNGRADE her laptop from Windows 10 to 11 when we got home last night…

Whatever happened to no means NO!

4 Likes

Remember, we don’t “own” the technology provided by our gracious digital overlords; we only pay for the privilege of being their advertising subjects. They reserve the right to [insert draconian restrictions up to and including cutting off our access as contained in many EULA’s here].

5 Likes
3 Likes

No your honor, I did not have sexual relations with that woman. I was just pushing my ToC like any other software company.

3 Likes

Still looking and finding minor mostly positive changes to the latest release.

I like the tweaks to the UI such as something as basic the change on the taskbar up arrow where it shows your connected devices such as an external disk horizontally versus a square that changes in size/ The net is that it makes the UI a tiny bit more friendly.

Support for HDR displays is also improved in that it doesn’t try to send a 24 bit signal to a 16 bit display but instead dithers it more or less properly(albeit MS dithering algorithms are not to the same level (MS skews slightly dark in color values) as Apples latest OS with the M1/M2 series MacBooks)

They also fixed a relatively minor but very annoying bug related to Meraki Wi-Fi devices where if you printed a large document (more than 10 pages) it often would reset your connection requiring you to manually reconnect.

According to one of our customers they also improved Bluetooth discovery for a wider range of devices such as smart home stuff.

OTOH it’s now asking me yet AGAIN, what I want to do with my removable drives and external display adapters.

2 Likes

Oh wow, when you paste text in a blank notepad.exe page, it auto-names the tab to the first words of the pasted text, like the way Word suggests the first words as a filename upon saving. Sweet.

Also, hitting CTRL-N opens a new tab in notepad, I might actually use that. Notepad++ better watch out!

1 Like

Trying to drop a url from the Firefox address bar to the taskbar (worth a shot), which gave the predictable “nope not here” icon overlay, but also this nice big globe. Same thing for Edge, so it seems to be a Windows thing. Can’t say I’ve ever seen this!

3 Likes

So I use Bing from my address bar still. And I use Edge right now. But Microsoft is probably going to drive me away from both, because of the BS they keep forcing upon me. Now there’s a “Bing Chat” button I can’t disable on my browser UI. I can’t get to my password manager without 3 clicks, but I apparently need 1 click access to their stupid AI chatbot.

4 Likes

Had to reinstall Windows 10 and Office on my decrepit SP 3. After installing Office I wanted to add language packs for Swedish and Japanese. Everything took me to an “upgrade to Microsoft 365” page. I finally succumbed. My first software subscription. I can’t watch my own reflection in the mirror anymore.

5 Likes

In more annoying news, on the Insider build I’m on, File Explorer keeps adding every folder I visit to my Quick Access. If I wanted these folders there they’d be pinned already. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That is like that giant ‘Not syncing’ button that I cannot seem to hide (I do not want to sync) on my Surface Go which hides the actual useful 3rd party addon buttons in portrait mode. Does anyone know if there is a hack or advanced setting to remove these useless buttons?

In more news about Microsoft trying to drive its users away…

Apparently though the Bing Discover button will be officially able to be turned off in May. :roll_eyes:

In the meantime though, a group policy / registry edit lets you turn it off now:

3 Likes