Unable to reply/respond in some threads?

Please feel free to delete this post if it’s some type of “just me” issue, but I’ve noticed in the last few days, the option to reply isn’t present, most recently in the Surface announcement thread.

Perhaps it’s just locked? And on my end it’s not flagged as such? It’s not universal as I was able to respond in another Surface thread.

2 Likes

For me in that thread, the reply button is indeed missing, but if I select text and click “quote” it does open the reply pop up where I can type a reply.

No wait, it’s not actually a reply - it’s trying to create a new topic but with the quoted text, so it is also my experience that that thread cannot be replied to.

2 Likes

Same here - I thought maybe the thread was closed. That’s why I posted Zac Bowden’s review of the Neo failure and the decline of Surface over in the Neo redux thread…

1 Like

This thread?

I do see a reply button and it works. Maybe a permissions thing?

No it was actually in the Duo thread

1 Like

Please link to any and all offending threads, and I’ll take a look.

Must be/was a transient thing as the threads I saw it in now let me respond including the Duo thread I mentioned.

False alarm I guess :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@here, it could be browser caching related as there were some new plugins and theme extensions added which would possibly require minimally a refresh or perhaps even a browser cache clear for the site to display properly.

2 Likes

I just sent out a here ping in the Surface Event thread. Please try and see if replies are now working there.

@here, anyone successful? If not, I’ll open a ticket with Discourse.

Browser cache seems to have been my issue.

1 Like

I just replied on the Surface thread (quote reply), without issue.

Edit: Sorry, it was in the Neo thread. Everything converges when Surface goes to sh*t. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Hifihedgehog - still no reply button for me

1 Like

Did you clear your browser cache?

oops - sorry - can’t do that right now on a Zoom call

1 Like

I figured it out! @Marty, when you changed the topic to the parent Windows category, that removed the ability for users except staff to reply. The reason behind why I set it up this way was to put topics to a specific category and subcategory so it would be clear and organized in purpose. So in going forward, using this case as an example, you would need to put the topic under Windows OS or Slates/Detachables.

2 Likes

You should be good to go now! Mystery solved! See my post above. Marty moved the topic to the parent Windows category where only staff have posting permissions, thereby rendering it read only.

Harry Potter Marauders Map GIF - Harry Potter Marauders Map Mischief Managed GIFs

1 Like

My bad. It seemed like the OS category should be reserved for software, so I moved it to Windows general.

Ok, likewise I moved the WWDC thread likewise from Apple to MacOS / iOS. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

So not to make this now the forum issues, thread but…

I’ve noticed this morning in some threads, a display/scrolling issue with longer posts where the text doesn’t display properly with things like double images, flickering, or very pale text.

Please feel to remove/move this etc. But perhaps we should also have a “site issues” or similar thread?

1 Like