More Browser Woes

Maybe it’s because of iOS/iPadOS 16, but lately it’s been sometimes impossible to complete a topic response on my iPad (Safari). Either the button to post a comment won’t do anything, or the emoticon I want to insert is hidden off-screen even if I turn it landscape to try to give it more room (see screenshot), or something else goes funky with the editor. It’s a mess. Also, after reading a topic or two the text size for the whole forum drops in size by almost half. Refresh or changing from mobile to desktop view often does nothing, but sometimes temporarily fixes it.

… oh, and the draft being edited in another window, when no other window exists, is back again. :frowning:

None of these things happen anywhere else on the web that I’ve seen. Nor do they happen on my Duo in a chromium browser.

Theme: Material Design
Color Scheme: Graceful/Material Dark

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve been having problems on iPad selecting text for a “quote” to begin a reply. The “quote/edit” dialog (?) appears, but the instant I start trying to drag the selection to add more text, it tries to select the whole page and I lose it.

Thought it was just me.

2 Likes

Yeah, that bug too. I knew I was forgetting some. :vb-agree:

3 Likes

I get both, but mostly on my iPhone - but if I switch to Chrome instead of Safari all is good, even in iOS…

1 Like

I’ve had that problem with my phone as well, running Android 12. My Go, as no such problems.

2 Likes

Okay, so it’s not all about Webkit, since Chrome on iOS/iPadOS is still Webkit. And at least one issue crosses over to Android. I’ll change the title.

3 Likes

Do you know roughly when you first saw this? It might be able to track the issue down to an update or a new plugin based on the approximate date.

1 Like

I’ve had problems with the mobile formatting of the site for at least a couple of weeks, but I just figured it was user error and switched to Chrome on the iPhone. It doesn’t impact iPadOS 16 on my M1 iPP11.

1 Like

Sorry, I only just started noticing it in the past few days after receiving my iPP 12.9 since in the past month I’ve pretty much only used my Duo when websurfing.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I guess the next question is whether @Hifihedgehog can think of any changes that have been made in the past few weeks that could lead to issues with the editor.

1 Like

Thanks, guys, for all the helpful analysis and investigation! If you see no activity on this, I’ve got a solidly booked week so I’ll need to table this for next week. I’ve read all your comments though and I will dissect and get to the bottom of this mystery.

5 Likes

Understood. I appreciate you. THanks

1 Like

I tried the most basic troubleshooting step and updated the server. Let me know, especially @Dellaster and @Bishop, if these problems are still happening.

1 Like

Well, I can’t force some of them to appear, but they tend to be random. The emoticons selection being mostly offscreen, especially in portrait, remains. Usually to the right (see screenshot from a minute ago) but sometimes cut off by the bottom of my screen. In neither case can I get it to move once it’s like that. The editing window jumps around in size and often is too tall, with the top editing area scrolled up out of view.

Thanks for looking into it. As you can see, it is possible for me to post using iPP + Safari. It’s mostly just annoying. No hurry. :+1:

(Cropped image, bottom 2/3s removed)

Here’s the thing with resizing text. It got tiny and then after a page refresh it went back to regular size. Refresh doesn’t always work. This is not exclusively a problem with this forum but it happens more often here than anywhere else. It might just be a Safari bug that’ll get fixed next update.

Fixed my quote issue on safari. Thanks @Hifihedgehog

1 Like

@Hifihedgehog : the quote bug is back on safari, but it works with Edge running on iPM6.

1 Like

The weird part is I can’t reproduce it on my iPhone. I am sure you have a problem but I am at a loss as to what is causing it. Are you on the latest iOS release?

Haven’t gone to 16 yet. Traveling right now. Will try again Monday. Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, I’m on iOS 16 with the latest updates. So it could be a lingering bug in the older OS release.

1 Like