Thread links from the "latest" topics list don't always scroll to the right post

This happens fairly regularly: I tap a link in the “latest” list, and while the link is correct, I end up at a different post in the thread.

Example, I just tapped on the “2022 Samsung Galaxy Book 2” link in “latest” which correctly points to post 54 as of now, but I ended up on post 34 in that thread. Scrolling way down I do see the red dividing line at the correct place.

Is this a Discourse issue, a Firefox issue, or something else? Just me?

Edit: the workaround by @Kumabjorn works quite well: tap the post number in the Discourse scrollbar and the page will scroll to the correct post.

4 Likes

I have been getting the same behavior for at least a month. iPad, therefore Safari browser, if that matters.

1 Like

For me it’s Firefox on Win11 on my SLS. Maybe the site takes a touch too long calling up the latest posts.

1 Like

Happens to me too, independent of browser. Mostly using Samsung’s in Android.

2 Likes

Happens occasionally for me as well, using Chrome on my Mac.

2 Likes

This wasn’t happening before, so I am guessing this is a Discourse bug. I will make it a point to report this to them as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Might be that the database is just getting bigger, causing some slowdowns that we didn’t have before. Either way, not a big deal, but if it’s an easy fix: yes please!

Discourse handles forums with databases many times larger than ours, such as Blizzard Entertainment’s, so I am guessing there is a bit more to it than size alone. I am guessing it is a bug they propagated that no one has bothered to say really anything about or really noticed too much.

1 Like

@Hifihedgehog FWIW, this recently seems to have gotten worse for me. Now almost invariably the page ends up showing the first post instead of the most recent posts. Then reloading the page scrolls to the correct position. Not a huge deal, just FYI.

1 Like

If I can hit the little number I get to the right place 85% of the time, if not there is a little icon at the bottom with Back⏬️

1 Like

Interesting, for me it’s more like 10% of the time. This is using Firefox on a slow machine (GBook2 ARM).

Mine is mostly Android on a Samsung Tab 6 Lite with Samsung’s browser.

Thanks! I never tried that before but it does seem to work. Better than hitting “Back”, which most of the time only gets me nearly to the new posts and I have to scroll down and watch the dates. iPad & Safari, Material Design theme.

1 Like

I always just hit the little scroll bar on the right side. It’s usually pretty accurate about where the most recent post is, even if it’s not displaying it on the screen. Just a tap and you’re there.

That’s odd. I haven’t noticed this behavior myself but I am using Chromium Edge so that’s a bit different from Firefox.

1 Like

Wow, with today’s update clicking the latest topics actually takes me to the latest post!

Also, the formatting on the editor is very usable now for an iPad + Safari. It was hard to see & select parts of the interface before.

Thanks, @Hifihedgehog !

2 Likes

No problem! It’s in the bug fixes along with a laundry list of new features like the new notification system and sidebar which you likely noticed today:

1 Like