Flickering pages - new rendering issue?

There are certain page positions where my iPad pro gets confused about the layout, and it redraws many times per second in different layouts. @dstrauss and @Desertlap also noticed flickering issues. Below is what I’m seeing. For me it happens mostly when panning slowly, I think near the end of a thread. @Hifihedgehog is this a known Discourse issue?

Example:

1 Like

Same on my iPad mini 6. A quick touch that slightly moves the page stops it.

1 Like

Add me to the list on my SP8…sometimes very difficult to get it to stop and sometimes restarts shortly after moving the cursor a bit to get it to stop.

1 Like

I have the same, on an older regular iPad. I thought it was showing it’s age.

I personally have never seen it on Edge on my Surface Pro 8, and I do not have an iPad. I have never seen it on Safari on my iPhone.

I have seen the flickering on my Pro X using Edge. Ha ha. It just flickered as I posted this.

1 Like

Weird. I just connected on multiple Windows 11 machines with Edge and could not replicate this behavior. I am guessing it may be a lingering caching issue from the updates yesterday. Try refreshing the browser session and seeing if it remains, I guess?

Still there. As soon as I try to scroll up in this thread, it flickers. Here is a video of it.
Flicker TPCR. - YouTube

That’s so weird. I know everyone here definitely has it, but I am at a loss at how to even reproduce it. I tried both the Windows 11 thread and this one and it doesn’t show up on either my Surface or my work laptop.

This could be a clue, it looks related to the layout width:

(iPad Pro Safari)

If I scroll to the end, the flickering stops because the post section settles on a width (less the post counter width on the bottom right). As soon as I scroll back up, the browser gets confused and rapidly switches the width between the two values.

1 Like

I wonder if there’s some threshold window width below which it tries to render in"narrow layout". Maybe that threshold is very close to a common window width, and there’s a rounding error happening? Just guessing.

1 Like

You could be on to something, trying it in landscape and I don’t the see the issue.

1 Like

I think I got it. It’s related to the ‘scroller widget’ not showing up:

So when you get flickering: switch to landscape, tap the post counter on the bottom right, tap again to close the bottom pane, now switch back to portrait.

Voilà, scroller widget stays and no width/flicker issues.

2 Likes

That’s it. Portrait triggers it for me. I am not sure how to get rid of this behavior, however. I am initiating an update in the hope of it fixing itself.

1 Like

No go. I’ll respond when it is fixed.

2 Likes

Seems to be fixed for me.

1 Like

It is! The issue comes down to the DiscPage plugin we use going cattywampus, but it is actively supported, I have disabled it in the meantime and reported the issue, and it should be fixed in short order.

2 Likes

Indeed. Our QA/response team puts most IT departments to shame. :wink:

3 Likes

me as well, smooth as butter this afternoon :grin:

1 Like

@here, I have reenabled the problematic plugin DiscPage that was causing the flickering snafu. Let me know if you all are get flickering again with this plugin now reenabled.

1 Like