OG (Original) MS Duo as an Android 12L Mini-Tablet

Had a visible crack on mine. Never attempted repair. Beyond my skillset.

I just made sure to baby it and only use the port for charging (therefore not with Android Auto).

2 Likes

Never change, Dale! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Rubino at Windows Central has repeatedly recommended using a magnetic USB-C port adapter, which Iā€™m going to try - some folks have recommended supergluing the crack, but this one has an open wound, so not sure how to bandage that except for a thin fit case that Iā€™ve also orderedā€¦I was even planning on doing this if I bought the new $419 version off Amazonā€¦

Sometimes even I WONDER why I am so stubbornly stupidā€¦but I think in this case itā€™s a subconscious desire to wean off the iPad Pro because I use it only for second screen to my SP8 these daysā€¦

OR, maybe just a subconscious desire for a Fold 5 with siloed pen (40/60) and reduced crease (70/30)

Remind me, what is it again that youā€™re hoping to get from the SD1? Word doc editing on the go? OneNote scribbling with the Slim Pen 2? Ability to reliably send text messages from your Surface Pro?

1 Like

First and foremost, a stable way to answer my business line calls in the office. RingCentral - it provides my VOIP businessā€™ phone line and fax service, which is still required by Texas court rules.

Second - yes, yes, and no to your three questions. Iā€™ve given up on the text messaging because my clients expect me to use an iPhone for that - so again this may all be a folly

1 Like

The form factor is so promising it BEGS us to find a use case.

As to the iPP, I suppose you could use Google Voice (heresy?). Also, it appears MS Teams is going to offer a ā€œone lineā€ solution across multiple linesā€¦ :woman_shrugging:

Verizon Calling with Microsoft Teams | Verizon

PS - what this is all coming down to is a Fall 2023 heavy weight prize fight:

iPhone 15 Ultra - family compatibility, big(ger) screen, periscope lens telephoto (at LEAST 6x)

VS

Samsung Z Fold 5 - family complaints, even bigger screen, siloed S Pen, minimal crease, telephoto

There are so many ifs, buts, and caveats to all of this my head aches. What if itā€™s not a silo but an edge attached holster; or as Shane Craig said the ā€œzoomā€ is due to a 2x 64 mpxl lens that they crop down for 10x?

The only given is that Iā€™ll need deeper pockets (literally and figuratively) either way!

1 Like

The iPP works with RingCentral fairly well, but I donā€™t want to keep carrying two tablets. At least the Duo makes that a pretty small concession. I figured for the price I could afford the experiment.

1 Like

For me Iā€™m sticking with the (relative) safety of the walled garden, despite the restrictions. As in: keeping the iPhone 12 mini until it croaks or until Apple releases another compact phone, whichever comes first. And Iā€™m keeping the Duo 1 as a fun time-waster on the side. Added benefit: cheaper than the upgrade treadmill.

1 Like

Mine has a thin piece broken off but I havenā€™t sweated it. Cosmetic only; it has zero effect on using the USB-C port. Itā€™ll hurt resale is all, which Iā€™m never going to do.

2 Likes

That looks really good compared to the one I just bought - most of area left of port is missing, but I ordered this thin fit leather (fake) case for some protection (rather than MS bumpers - those things are expensive - around $50 new):

PS - @Dellaster mine is more like

1 Like

Whoa! Thatā€™s not your everyday Duo Uno cracking. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Nope - but the discount was too much to pass up this time, and maybe it will keep my mind off of new tech gear for a day or twoā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Another PS -

@Dellaster Maybe this whole thing is a manifestation of my desire for a small foldable tablet replacement for a Moleskin. Iā€™ve kicked that around with @Bishop a lot, especially when the Duo and Neo were originally vaporwared to the public three and a half years ago!

2 Likes

The experiment begins again this weekend with the wounded MS Duo Uno, so if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, or ā€œgosh you are dumbā€ comments, please let them fly. Iā€™ve made one other change after talking to a friend (probably the only MS Duo owner in Midland - Iā€™ve NEVER seen one in the wild) and bought a wireless charging adapter for the USB C port rather than using the magnet connectors I originally ordered. He says it puts less strain on the USB-c port itself.

My son, the family black sheep Android devotee (Note 20) was really excited because he says heā€™ll steal it to trade in on a Fold 5 - Samsung was giving $500 trade-in even on broken Android phones for the Fold 4ā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™d watch for signs of heat from that charging attachment weakening the adhesive on the glass backing.

I wonder where the antenna assemblies are?

1 Like

Thanks - Iā€™ll keep an eye on that since it will be near the edge of the back - maybe I ought to stick to Plan A in the first place? Shame they had such an obvious defect in the Uno.

The more I look at the Oppo Find N2 design, the more I wonder why MS doesnā€™t strip a B or 2 off the Activision budget (which is years away from approval) and BUY the Find N2 design and make a splashy entry into the US foldable market!

Does beg the question. I suspect thereā€™s major internal resistance following the Nokia write off.

But unless itā€™s willing to commit to a major marketing and charm offensive, itā€™s just more wasted money.

Well, then just follow the Samsung formula and COPY what you want. Doubt Oppo will have any more success than Apple ultimately did fighting thatā€¦OR

Do the really time-honored solution and pay Oppo to load the MS launcher and slap a Surface logo on a Find N2

1 Like