OG (Original) MS Duo as an Android 12L Mini-Tablet

Really looking forward to getting that Duo Uno up and going as my folding Android tablet - from Dan Seifert’s re-review of the Duo Deux:

" It was a $1,500 novelty that could only appeal to the most die-hard Microsoft brand stooges willing to put up with its many faults so they could have the never-launched Courier device they dreamed about over a decade ago…

The Duo 2 has not replaced my primary smartphone because I use them for different tasks: messaging, calls, photos, smart home control, music, and mobile payments on my iPhone; reading, multitasking, note-taking, and YouTube on the Duo 2. I’ve yet to actually take a call on the Duo 2 because, unless you use wireless earbuds, it’s horribly awkward to do so. Mostly, I’ve used the Duo 2 exactly how I might use an iPad Mini, except it folds in half and fits in my pocket."

Here’s to living the dream on my Courier!

3 Likes

The honeymoon is over on mine but it’s still in use. Quite a nice mini tablet for 300-ish dollars.

Eventually I’ll try the Windows 11 ARM experiment on it but that looks to be quite involved and I’ll have to be in the mood with lots of spare time.

3 Likes

I can see me “playing” like that as well in the future - why not, especially since mine was only a $200-ish toy.

2 Likes

Insert GoldblumRationalizations.gif here :yum:

2 Likes

Major news on the WIndows 11 on Surface Duo Uno front - full dual booting without having to have your PC connected to the Duo:

It still infuriates me that if these garage mechanics can do all of this, W T F is MS thinking?

PANOS - outsiders are lapping you man!

5 Likes

Had the same thought when I read the article.

1 Like

What really galls me is if a small group like this can pull this off, why the h*## don’t we have a WOA Neo already, much less a SG4?

1 Like

I mean, they could just go all in and help Samsung make something. They already have a good relationship. And HP would probably be game if the funding and support is there. LG still have some of their mobile division around as well who still make prototypes for display tech.

As for why they haven’t put full Windows on the Duo… leadership clearly do not want to for whatever reason. The flexibility and openness to ideas at Microsoft seems to have decreased a lot lately - see Windows 11. They now have an attitude of ‘we know best’ like Apple, but without the complete ecosystem and slickness to back it up.

1 Like

So true - it’s my way or the Highway but they have no pavement on their road - so maybe I’ll take the highway - at least those authoritarians have a map!

2 Likes

SD1 is at Woot for 250 right now guys.

1 Like

My OG Duo came. I was worried I had a DOA at first as it was all the way dead. It took two different chargers to get it going, but it finally started getting warm, telling me it was actually charging the battery.

I missed the OG form factor. It seems so subtle, but it’s so much more sleek. It’s so slightly thinner, but it’s noticeable. I wondered when the Duo2 came out if I would be frustrated by the bigger bezels on the OG, but I’m not feeling that difference in the same way I’m noticing the thinness, not to mention the flat fold back. I can’t wait to try to get Windows on this thing.

4 Likes

Decided to follow your lead and cancelled sale of my Duo Uno and will see next month if I can force WOA on to it…

You might want to look into the magnetic port dongle to prevent damage from the edge cracking around the port - seems there are two types of Duo Two - those that have cracked and those that will. Also, that leather case ads nearly nothing to thickness but nice protection of the glass and edges.

I’m going to try to set up the build environment tonight. I meant to ask about that case since I’m used to the fold that only folds flat and I’m using these more as tablets, not folding them back. Or at least, I’m not folding the duo2 back, the og 360 flat fold back is so much nicer. Do you wish you had tent mode?

I have a bunch of those magnetic charger thingies on my amazon wish list. Guess I should pull the trigger on those.

2 Likes

If it’s not too much effort, would you mind chronicling the process in its a separate thread? E.g. “OG (Original) MS Duo as a Windows 11 on ARM Mini-Tablet” :slight_smile: I think quite a few here would be interested in reading about the experience. I definitely would!

6 Likes

Yes, that’s my plan. Of course I’ll document my (mis)adventures. If I’m feeling fancy, I might even try to take video while I go through the installation steps. But I’m going to get things set up while my kids are in gymnastics tonight and I don’t think other folks would appreciate a livestream running from the lobby.

4 Likes

Awesome! I’m sure there’ll be plenty to write even if you just give us your impressions of the process, so I recommend keeping it simple at first.

Of course if you prefer to make a fully narrated step by step YouTube installation guide, I won’t stop you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Be sure you get one that passes data as well - some are charging only.

3 Likes

Itshappening.gif!

I’ll be reading along with interest, but not likely to repeat the exercise myself. Still enjoying the SD1 as a little Android tablet, and installing WOA on it would break some thing that I enjoy. Like using a good Kindle app, watching video on the various streaming apps, using airline apps for when flying, etc. I guess I’m saying I don’t want to lose the apps. But… very cool experiment!

1 Like

And why exactly does he keep looking for greener grass?

The handwriting with my SP8 slim pen2 is particularly good in OneNote - much better than my Samsung OneNote experience

5 Likes

OMG yes! The slim pen 2 on the duo (1 or 2) is fantastic!

BTW, W11 installs as a dual boot. You’ll still have Android, just less storage.

5 Likes