OG (Original) MS Duo as an Android 12L Mini-Tablet

Intend to try this but as soon as the dev completes the dual-boot-without-a-PC ability

SurfaceDuo-Guides/DualBoot.md at main Ā· WOA-Project/SurfaceDuo-Guides Ā· GitHub

Thereā€™s the on device dual boot guide. I will not be messing with this.

1 Like

Amazing job @violajack!!! You are a wizard!

This just reinforces my total PO with Microsoft - if independent developers can port Windows 11 to the underpowered 855 processor in the Duo Uno -

THERE IS NO EXCUSE - NONE

for not releasing Duo3 and Neo as tandem WOA devices with modern Snapdragon processors, other than they ARE NOT SERIOUS about WOA and it is only a tool for forcing Intelā€™s hand on processor power/efficiency. In fact, I seriously wonder if they really care a lot about Windows/Office except as another platform to monetize cloud subscription services.

Come one, come all (Windows, MacOS, iOS, iPadOS, Android, Chrome, Linux) to the Windows 365 subscription experience (aka money maker) on Azureā€¦someday weā€™ll even end that pesky desktop version of Office 365ā€¦

SERVICES! SERVICES! SERVICES! SERVICES! SERVICES!
Steve Ballmer Developers, Developers, Developers - GIPHY Clips

2 Likes

I think in order to get all Google Play Services on the Duo they need to sign usage terms. If I recall correctly part of the terms state ā€œno dual booting devicesā€. Not sure if thereā€™s some requirement that the vendor may not supply another OS image for the same Android device.

So if they go to single screen they could switch?

Back to the topic:

Sure glad no one snapped this up, because this little Moleskine replacement is starting to grow on me. The dual screen is working great for everything Iā€™ve tried (except some books in Kindle do not go dual screen, they span one page across both screens - apparently a known issue).

The screens are a bit narrow to actually write with two different apps open (Outlook + OneNote, etc.) unless you switch to portrait mode so the writing space is wider. I was able to use it full screen in portrait mode while running the Zoom conference on the SP8ā€¦hmmmm

OneNote on the Duo is actually pretty good, and the Slim Pen 2 is a much better writing experience than S Pen was in OneNote on the Fold 3. Reading attachments to emails is actually a pleasure in this design with 12L - in fact it is a pretty good little mini-tablet. Even RingCentral has been working fairly wellā€¦

It has thrown a monkey-wrench in my calculus - what else is newā€¦

3 Likes

I guess I either didnā€™t get the joke or I didnā€™t get the question! Iā€™m thinking if you want full Android you have to play by Googleā€™s rules, and Googleā€™s rules are ā€œDonā€™t make it easy for Microsoftā€. Iā€™m not sure they could stop MS from offering a Win11 Duo 1 or offering a Win11 Device image, but I wonder if it is in fact something like that.

The other explanation is that MS doesnā€™t want to put in the effort for the small user uptake. Itā€™s still similar to the Windows Phone challenge. Without (as many) apps, the number of buyer would be small. And while itā€™s amazing that people have been able to put Win11 on the Duo, Iā€™m sure MSā€™ QC requirements are higher than those of hobbyists on github. If they want to offer a full Win11 Duo, theyā€™d have to go all in, support it for years, keep debugging and patching, etc. Quite a commitment.

You DID get it and gave a very good answer. So back to Apple I go, hi hoā€¦if I want an integrated experience. The Duo is not a very good phone, and even if it is a nice Moleskine replacement, then I have FOUR different devices to juggle

1 Like

I got my magnetic usbc charger adapters and decided to put the bumper on to even out the bottom edge and match the adapter. Itā€™s not nearly as bulky as I remember. I donā€™t know why I didnā€™t put it on right away. The edges are so sharp otherwise. But now that itā€™s on, I feel like I should have put a cool skin on first.

Now that Iā€™ve got everything else set up, Iā€™m letting Android do itā€™s final set up, copying data from my Duo2.

The hinges on the Duo2 are much stiffer than the OG Duo. I canā€™t tell if that means the OG is smoother, or looser to a fault.

2 Likes

Convinced my wife to let me get one for Valentineā€™s Day :grin:. Are there any slim cases out there that donā€™t restrict the Duo from doing the single screen ā€œpostureā€? Also, any particular usb c magnetic charging adapters that folks recommend?

1 Like

It has been my experience that not even a skin is thing enough to allow the Duo to close flat inside out unless you have the bumper on taking up some of that space.

Only if youā€™re prepared to give up some protection.

Iā€™ve officially joined the illustrious ranks of Duo Uno owners. :slight_smile:

I should be getting it in the mail this Saturday. Woot!

5 Likes

Looking forward to outrageous opinions.

Iā€™m sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but Iā€™ve started using the Duo Uno as a OneNote notepad (open and in portrait orientation across the two screens like an iPad Mini) and it comes in very handy when typing on the SP8 as I am at the moment.

I also had a full on lawyer nerd moment last night checking a case citation in Lexis on the top screen while writing some notes on the bottom screenā€¦hmmmmmā€¦wouldnā€™t be the first time Iā€™ve been wrong about a potential solutionā€¦

4 Likes

Make that twice the outrage, double me out of my mind since I am going down the install Windows rabbit hole.

2 Likes

Can I just say how much I admire the design of the Duo? While everything else is languishing in development quagmire at Microsoft, despite having a couple-generations old flagship CPU, the Duo just seems so fresh and hip. I have a foldout tablet that slips easily into my hip pocket! Microsoft, I do not want a foldable display. I never asked for that. Most of us never asked for that! The crease looks ugly even on the latest generation Galaxy Z Fold. Please donā€™t follow the rest of the design sheep over the cliff.

1 Like

Yeah, now that the software has caught up more with the design, the Duo is starting to look pretty nice.

Which means that Nadella will kill it. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I SWEAR TO GOD if he thought he could get away with it heā€™d dump the entire hardware division, move Windows and Office to online only, and ride off into the Azure sunsetā€¦

1 Like

PS - if MS was REALLY serious about Android as their preferred mobile platform, wouldnā€™t Office (especially OneNote), Teams, Edge, etc. on Android be at LEAST as good as iOS/iPadOS?