OG (Original) MS Duo as an Android 12L Mini-Tablet

New firmware out for the OG and the Duo 2 (2022.817.13) with seemingly only security fixes. And probably more exciting: Android 12L is now out for the AT&T models.

2 Likes

AT&T is going to be late for its own funeral (one could only hope)ā€¦

1 Like

One surprise, you canā€™t use the Duo (or any Android tablet) as a secondary Signal client. Apparently this feature is in the works, but it has been for a while already.

Just for fun, today I noticed that when docked to my Anker USB-C hub the brightness keys on my Lenovo keyboard actually adjust the brightness of the Duo. Iā€™m really surprised how well all this works. Managing windows (snapping left or right or spanning) works just like in Windows, except with the Duo the ā€˜window handlesā€™ are along the bottom edge on the external monitor. All in all a far better docked experience than I was expecting, given the lack of Dex or ā€œContinuumā€.

3 Likes

For the three people still following this thread, this is how the Duo screen looks in landscape when connected to an external monitor with Firefox and Gmail open. Itā€™s a good amount of information, I could imagine being somewhat productive like this (if I werenā€™t distracted by Reddit subs, gotta love the Rick and Morty sub welcome message).

Iā€™d say the main drawback is that the font looks predictably huge. Would be nice if Android allowed auto-shrinking the font when projecting. Also note that the ā€œhinge regionā€ (see-through portion showing the starry-sky desktop image) represents quite a bit of wasted space in ā€˜snapped viewā€™ on an external screen.

7 Likes

Good guessā€¦

2 Likes

I have to say my Duo OG has been rock solid since A12L. The fresh coat of paint and the UI have all been welcome updates. Knock on wood!

2 Likes

Nice. Itā€™s funny, I think mine arrived basically on the day the 12L update became available so Iā€™ve never even seen the old OS.

So far itā€™s been good, but some apps have some trouble with rotation. Especially Reddit in spanned portrait mode occasionally flips upside down when navigating, even with the device nowhere near horizontal or upside down.

I also have an app (Feedly) that switches back to single screen view whenever I do anything outside the app, like opening an article in an external browser or activating the share widget.

Otherwise Iā€™m very happy with it though. Great device!

2 Likes

One minor design flaw is that the screen portion with the camera in it is heavier than the other half. When using it in portrait mode I usually have that half on top, meaning that it tips over if you set it down like a mini laptop. Not an issue unless the screen is open pretty far, so not a big deal.

First time doing a long download (34GB) on my DUO Unoā€™s hotspot itā€™s getting really hot, too hot to hold for very long. It was shut and Iā€™ve opened it up, screens off, to hopefully cool down some. My iPhone 13 Pro never gets hot, just a bit warm, on similar hotspot jobs. :pouting_cat:

Update: it has cooled and the download speed on my laptop, which had slowed by half, is a good way back to what it was before the near-meltdown. Advice: donā€™t run the hotspot when the Duo is closed!

4 Likes

I attach slim pen 1 to the front cover. The magnet is strong enough to hold it even with a weak shake, except when you put it in a bag. Maybe thatā€™s the reason I havenā€™t noticed the weight imbalance so far.

1 Like

Weird (I am?), I canā€™t tell if itā€™s unbalanced. :vb-headscratch:

I can evenly balance it on its hinge on the edge of my hand. Bumper installed.

I also have the bumper installed. Itā€™s subtle, but if I set it down on a desk, opened to say 120 degrees, it will fall backwards with the side with the power button on the table. Not a problem since Iā€™m usually holding it anyway.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the hinge always opens quite the same way every time. Sometimes itā€™ll fall to the power button side and other times it will balance just fine. It does go to show that if there is an imbalance (which Iā€™m not doubting BTW), itā€™s very subtle, as you put it. I still donā€™t notice any weight difference between the sides when holding it, and thatā€™s all that matters to me.

1 Like

@dellaster but can you keep the left side flat on the table at that opening angle? For me it rolls over when I do that.

Edit: nvm, you say that it sometimes falls over. I notice it on mine when I set it down while watching YouTube on the top screen. Solution: flip it upside down and try again. :slight_smile:

Yup. But itā€™s more prone to fall to the power button side. So I think itā€™s imbalanced to that side, but only slightly.

1 Like

This is the angle at which itā€™s barely hanging on staying flat on the non-power button side. Open it up just a little bit more and it wonā€™t stay there, itā€™ll flop to the power button side.

1 Like

Thanks for documenting the entire experiment! :grin: Looks like we have the same device.

Pay the cat tax.

1 Like

Cracked your USB C port already? Been babying mine. Itā€™s quite fragile.