OG (Original) MS Duo as an Android 12L Mini-Tablet

Rabbit need more word… I found the files app in settings, but I don’t see a disable/uninstall option. :thinking:

Edit: found it in the play store, and installed from there. Thanks! :+1:t2:

Edit 2: funny, one of the complaints about the brand new Android 12 update for the Duo is that the Files app went missing. :joy:

1 Like

One thing I like: you can set it up such that apps automatically span the two screens when both screens are unoccupied at launch (settings >surface duo features>span apps automatically).

And a complaint, to balance things out :slight_smile: : there is no toggle (per-app or otherwise) to disable the “missing pixels” region in the area between the screens. That means if you use an ereader in (device) portrait mode, one line of text is typically missing. Not a problem for web pages since you can scroll, but annoying with fixed layout content like an ebook. So now you have to beg app developers to cater to the five people that own a Duo.

1 Like

And the 0.1% of those 5 who read ebooks in portrait mode instead of switching to two page mode!

4 Likes

Total Commander!

1 Like

A classic! :slight_smile:

BTW @Dellaster one benefit of reading in (device) portrait mode is that the lines are longer, meaning less empty space from longer words being pushed to the next line. In this mode the page size is close to paperback size / kindle size, which I enjoy. For now I’ve switched Readera to vertical panning, which is a decent workaround.

1 Like

Well yeah, similar to an iPad mini as well. No debate about the size and orientation being good for reading. But that gap… :wink:

1 Like

Very fair point. If you use the SD1 as purely a mini tablet, you have to ask yourself if paying $100 or so more and getting an iPad mini 6 would work better. I think in many cases I think the answer would be yes.

For me the main reasons for getting the SD1 (other than I momentarily forgot about the iPad mini being an option…) are:

• drag and drop of media. I hate having to go through iTunes to drop some files in apps, and sometimes finding the files missing, maybe because that app happened to be open while I tried the drag and drop (looking at you, Kybook 3)
  • ad blocking. On the iPad I see no way to adblock YouTube. Result: I don’t watch youtube on my iPad or iPhone. On the SD1 I installed Private Internet Access from the official site (but outside the play store) so it could include “MACE.”, which is their VPN/DNS based ad-blocking approach, and adblock plus in Edge
  • OLED (unlike the iPad mini), which I love for nighttime reading (black page)
  • It folds! I prop it up for media playback all around the house, very convenient.

To be honest though, that’s all I’ve got. I have both the Apple Pencil v2 and the Slim Pen 2, so for either iPad or SD1 I’d already have the pen. I’m too committed to the iPhone (and its great camera) to make the SD1 my main phone, which could have been a great argument against the iPad mini 6.

So TL;DR: the SD1 is not a slam dunk in any way, but it’s different, it’s enjoyable, and it’s got a couple of niche uses that the iPad mini can’t touch.

4 Likes

I didn’t realize this: the only speaker the system uses for media is the speaker in the top edge of the left screen, as in “mono sound only”. Is that right? No biggie since I’m mostly using the SD1 with a BT headset, but definitely a weak point of the design.

Typing this with the Duo folded inside out, getting WP10 flashbacks from the black and gray keyboard. :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

You don’t use an adblocker Safari extension? I’ve been using AdGuard for about two years on iPad/Mac, with only the occasional hiccup when Google changes up the ad algorithm.

If you do end up installing AdGuard, also try this iOS shortcut if you hit one of those stubborn videos that force intro ads. Might take a couple reloads, but I can usually get around Google’s gimmicks. :wink:

2 Likes

I must not have been using the right one, I seem to get YouTube ads on basically every video on my iDevices.

Unrelated: this article doesn’t make me feel great about getting an Android device!

Aha… Hahahaha. Sorry, kitty. I keep blaming her for things she never did. That pen showed up at last, magnetically stuck to the keyboard tray mechanism under my desk. It never fell all the way to the floor where Kiki the Kat might play with it. Mystery solved. :vb-embarassed-laugh:

4 Likes

Not sure what this means, but ever since I joined the Surface Duo subreddit the ads have become decidedly of the “middle aged man” variety. :grin:

3 Likes

Try the Relay app on the Duo, which avoids the Reddit ads and also spans 2-page very nicely.

1 Like

I would if I weren’t trying to kick the reddit habit.

1 Like

Yeah probably healthy. I have it on this Duo, and it’s alarmingly easy to scroll an hour away, followed by the question “wait, do I remember anything of what I just read?” It’s a bit too good for killing time.

2 Likes

I’m really conflicted about advertising. I have no right to expect something for nothing, but its the sledgehammer approach that kills me. I use AdBlocker, but often whitelist my useful haunts. But then there are the requests to unblock a site and I look up and AdBlocker has blocked 143 ads in the 60 seconds I’ve been on that screen…more persistent than COVID…

3 Likes

I was about to argue that I’m not that conflicted, but turns out I am! I pay sites that I frequent (e.g. Ars Technica), and I like to think that I’d pay a fair price for services that I use if I could get them truly tracker-free and ad-free. But then I see $12/mo for YouTube premium and I don’t actually do it.

2 Likes

Maybe because the majority of YouTube content isn’t worth that???

4 Likes

You can say that again. I made the mistake of taking the month trial thing and adding my family. Now they won’t let me cancel the subscription. They don’t want the ads and second daughter’s using YouTube music. So, I’m stuck with it.

3 Likes

Guys. Guys! We’ve found the paying YouTube Premium member!! :upside_down_face:

:mind_blown:

BTW I found one aspect where the SD1 clearly rivals the iPad mini: it jelly-scrolls like the best of 'em!

2 Likes