OG (Original) MS Duo as an Android 12L Mini-Tablet

You’d be surprised what you see around the cabin… As for myself, if I’m watching Game of Thrones on the plane, I prefer to do it on a smaller screen to avoid mentally scarring my fellow passengers! :joy:

1 Like

Yes. At the end of every one of my cases, the guilty party jumps up and confesses due to my blistering cross examination at trial. Plus, the entire case, from begining to end takes 30 minutes. It is rewarding but exhausting. :vb-agree:

5 Likes

I see we share the same fantasies, and I’m not even a trial lawyer…

4 Likes

Why? The British MOPs have no problem doing it in the chambers.

1 Like

TANGENT WARNING: While I’ve been corporate for 30 years, I did try cases as a young lawyer and was required by local rules to represent indigent criminal defendants when appointed to do so by the judge.

I had one Perry Mason moment in trial. I asked a prosecution witness two questions resulting in two answers of about a dozen words total, I could see it in the jury’s eyes: they did not believe my client committed the act. So I sat down. They deliberated less than an hour and voted unanimously to acquit. Gotta tell you, it was an adrenaline rush.

Justice was done, the court house regulars had a new war story and the ADA later wound up moving half way across the state. Actually got some paying clients out of the jury and spectators too.

7 Likes

Great story!

1 Like

Never had any such moment in battle, but I had a good belly laugh in a deposition when opposing counsel screwed up with my witness. A natural gas contract expert, opposing counsel was getting nowhere diving into his opinions and so they made the real mistake of asking a veteran expert witness an open question - “So Mr. Expert, how would YOU characterize the business relationship?” to which he answered “I’ve been a gas consultant for over 20 years, and for most of that time you could sit across the table, reach a handshake agreement, and stick by your deal. With XXXXX (his client) I think you need to bring contraceptives…”

5 Likes

@Bronsky and @Bishop - judge got a real chuckle out of it as well even though he wouldn’t permit me to read it to the jury…

3 Likes

last tangent - one to tell on myself…

First time I was ever in front of a Judge it was an uncontested summary judgment (for civilians, that means I made a motion to win the case and opposing counsel didn’t even show up for the hearing). I was so nervous I just kept rattling on and on about EVERYTHING in my 30 page motion, and the Judge looked over his glasses at me and said “Mr. Strauss, if you sit down and be quiet for a few minutes you might just win this uncontested motion!”

4 Likes

My first appointed criminal case was a motion to revoke probation and send the defendant back to jail based on misdemeanor conduct during his probation. I was fully prepared, had witnesses, documents, the works. The ADA spoke for 3 minutes. At 10 minutes, the judge cut me off and announced his decision not to revoke the remaining 90 days of probation. I was elated. Victory.

He then asked me to approach the bench, covered his microphone, leaned down and said, “Congratulations. You’ve just won your first and last probation revocation motion. Now step back.”

4 Likes

It all worked out. After you passed, some guy posted a wanted ad on CL for a duo 2. Was happy to save a buck and buy an unlocked 1. Got about what i expected from the sale and it was hassle free. Good thing, my SP8 arrived yesterday.

Now, i gotta figure out my Go2

3 Likes

Quoting myself for a follow-up on this pen. I give it a big thumbs up, especially at this price. :+1:

OneNote

Freehand slow diagonals are nearly as good as a non-Wacom can get, surprisingly—I think the Slim Pen 2 on the Surface Laptop Studio was better but couldn’t swear to it and not by all that much, at least for writing. I can’t tell if the slight wobbling is due to pen or my own unsteadiness, and that means it’s great. Pressure sensitivity is smooth, no sudden jumps in ink flow experienced so far. I haven’t found anything on Android yet to test tilt on, but that’s not something I will be using anyway. The Duo is for notes, maybe some doodles; art practice is on the iPad Pro.

The weighting is good, it has some light texture so it’s not slippery to hold, and the shape is comfy in my hand. End eraser plus a side button for other usage. Quickly charges with a type-c connector, though I can’t yet say how long it lasts. It feels solid and well made. Still going for $24. Recommended.

Okay, this is such a good pen/deal that I just ordered an extra one plus a pack of three nibs. I still can’t find the Renaisser 520. Which means that my kitty cat likely decided it was a plaything and she left it someplace weird. Anyway, it’s best to have a spare. :black_cat:

Edit: no great loss anyway, here’s the best I could do freehand with the Renaisser 520 pen (copied from an earlier post):

6 Likes

Surface Duo supposedly arriving tomorrow!

6 Likes

The experiment begins! The device and packaging looks brand new, great! Interesting how the device boots, and offers a software update without giving the name or version number. All looks very much legitimate, but if I’m downloading a 2.6 GB update it’d be nice to know what it is. :thinking:

So while I wait for the update to complete, any suggestions for good epub/mobi readers that aren’t also malware, and video players that aren’t also malware? Is VLC on Android a thing?

2 Likes

You DO know you’re talking about Android, right?

2 Likes

I’ve found ReadEra to be reliable. Support by donations.

3 Likes

That’s a great app. Properly shows two separate pages when spanned across the two screens. The one thing it doesn’t seem to have is custom font color. I like to read yellow/amber font at night. It does have “console” as a preset: green font on a black background, might give that a try.

One thing about Andoid, both VLC and ReadEra asked for “read and write access to all files”, and complain if you don’t give it. Turns out Android has a permissions setting that allows access to “media”, which I assume covers a subset of folders. It’s not entirely clear which subset, even Android settings doesn’t clarify this. Either way, both apps could be convinced to work with this more limited file access, but it would be a lot better if that lower permission level was also shown when the app asks for permission. Odd oversight or UX choice.

2 Likes

Well, so far I love this thing. It’s perfect for reading / scrolling sites. Like TPCR, Ars Technica, the Reddit app, etc. Pretty great experience. Takes some getting used to that the dismiss app gesture depends on device orientation, but otherwise it is great.

4 Likes

Next question, what’s y’alls favorite file explorer on Android? Seems like there’s no built in option.

Go to the native Files app in settings, disable it, and the store will restore it

2 Likes