M2 iPad Pro 11

Maybe they’ll announce one or two of those, too? :man_shrugging:

So perhaps the day is today. OTOH looks to be pretty underwhelming…

Gurman: Apple to Announce New iPad Pro With M2 Chip This Tuesday - MacRumors

Looks like it.

And this looks interesting and likely for the standard iPad. Surely that would mean they have to rev the pros to keep up, and thus it indicates new keyboard folios/and or magic keyboards?

Last-Minute Leak Insists 10th-Generation iPad Will Feature Landscape FaceTime Camera - MacRumors

1 Like

If they go landscape on the Pro FaceTime camera at least it will be interesting…

51 posts were merged into an existing topic: 10th gen iPad (2022)

As for M2 iPad Pro - FUBAR - sorry, that’s too harsh, but they slap in an M2 processor and call it a day? Really Apple? No wonder to event for this year…you could have at least made the Folio work with it…

Well SCRATCH the iPad 10 as well - it uses the FIRST GENERATION PENCIL and requires buying a charging adapter case - W T F - are we scraping the bottom of the supply barrel on BOTH regular and pro models…

6 Likes

I know I’ve mentioned before that Samsung often confounds me with their marketing and product release choices, but Apple is fast catching up.

The new standard iPad Is a nice jump. though it makes the value proposition for the Air pretty weak, given that there are about 4 apps that any advantage of the m1 and unlike those here, would be hard pressed to tell the difference between pencil 1 and 2.

As to the Pros WIFI 6e is great… if you are one of the 125 people in the US that has ponied up the considerable sum for a WIFI 6 router AND have a fast enough ISP to make use of it.

TLDR, I’m now looking for closeout deals on the 2020 models.

Makes sense though that they didn’t have an actual press event, as this was the biggest nothing burger in a long, long time…

PS; I strongly suspect that Logitech is the OEM behind the new keyboard folio for the standard iPad.

4 Likes

Sorry for the rant - just finished 2693 mile round trip to Indianapolis and a bit grumpy - but still disappointed Apple didn’t cross the streams with M2 iPP and iP10 models…

PS - trade-ins on the M1 iPP with 1tb and 5g DROPPED to $415 this morning (nearly $600 last Friday)…

3 Likes

Hover for the Pro, but given how their stylus works, I wonder what the power consumption for that will be?

The active styluses have lower hover detection distances than EMR because of power consumption concerns, right?

1 Like

Kind of, the distance was shorter but the lag was the real issue. early N-trig/MPP had such terrible hovering lag to prolong the battery life of the pen, but as is the case with the current MPP/Pixel Sense, you can certainly engineer around that. But given how easily and quickly the Apple Pencil 2 charges, any battery life saving from reducing the hovering capacity lag or lenght would be worthless.

So M2 iPad Pros - the only thing interest to me is the new Hovering/Cursor. Apple has finally implemented a pen feature that Tablet PC enthusiast like us have enjoyed since the pre-2010 era. However I’m more curious if that feature will be available on older Apple Pencil 2 devices like the Mini 6.

But todays real star was the new entry level iPad which in updated enough to make the Air kind of redundant. But so many weird design choices by Apple. That style of the detachable back kickstand and keyboard cover is outright taken from Samsung who has used that style of folio for the Tab S line for the past 3-4 iterations. Frankly I’d rather they offer such a Folio for the rest of the line like the iPad Mini and Pros.

But USB-C…and Apple Pencil V1 - wtf where they thinking? I personally hated using the Apple Pencil 1 with the old iPad Pro 9.7 and Mini 5 because although brief, having to charge the Pencil from the built in lighting port got super annoying, enough so to deter me from drawing with it at all. Having to now use a separate charging cable in the mix is super extra annoying, and certainly many will lose the cable or just not have it on hand when needed. I guess they needed some draw to keep the Air still viable, but its just jaw dropping they wouldn’t take the extra step to Apple Pencil 2.

6 Likes

I didn’t hear about the new hover capability. That’s indeed probably the most interesting & potentially buy-worthy announcement from yesterday, and the “tech press” seems to have ignored it. Big surprise.

I, too, disliked the first gen Pencil’s charging method. Oddly, I don’t mind so much on the Renaisser pen, which has a microUSB charging port (newer versions have USB-C, thankfully). Possibly because I have a mUSB cord always handy due to half a dozen older devices needing to charge that way. That Pencil needed to be carefully plugged into the iPad, which then can’t be used, or buy a unique-to-it female Lightning adapter.

Yeah that one sounds like a long overdue improvement. From the Ars report yesterday:

Like its predecessor, the iPad Pro supports the second-generation Apple Pencil, but Apple says there’s a new “hover” experience unique to these refreshed models: the Apple Pencil “is now detected up to 12 mm above the display, allowing users to see a preview of their mark before they make it.”

Apple implemented some custom behavior for the hover mode, like making text fields in Scribble expand automatically when you bring the Pencil near the screen. A developer API will make those kinds of behaviors possible in third-party apps, too.

I would have liked Ars to add “Like you have been able to do on PCs since the early 2000s”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just like Apple invented the windowing GUI… :vb-puke:

Thank you Douglas Engelbart…

Well you know, even if they’re late to the party, I’m curious to see how it all works. Apple usually makes things look nice / slick, so maybe they’ll do something that MS should copy this time.

BTW, Monday’s the day that we’ll finally get stage manager in a (supposedly) stable release! Looking forward to that one, although I’m reading it’s still a bit crashy.

1 Like

I keep wanting the IPM6 as a take anywhere tablet, but it’s aging a bit and who knows when it’ll get a refresh. Meanwhile, my 2020 IPP 12.9 does sometimes struggle with some of my larger files in CSP. While M2 isn’t really much of an improvement, and I don’t have a wifi 6 router, the new early 2000’s hover technology might be good enough for me to just trade in/sell my current IPP and get a new IPP 11 that can just be my take everywhere sketchbook and I’ll just suffer a little on what I would have for screen size at home.

Choices.

1 Like

Joe - where did you see this? I’m still seeing no external stage manager support until “later this year.”

I was going off news like this:

Not sure if stage manager on external displays is supported for all (or any) iPads, but based on the article at least Stage Manager will go live in some form.

Yes, see my post #88 on the old TPCR forum Wacom AES caught up to Apple pencil? HP rechargeable pen supports 240 Hz report rate and tilt | Page 9 | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News