10th gen iPad (2022)

On October 18 Apple announced the new base level iPad in a press release. Despite the low-key announcement it featured some major changes to the base iPad:

• updated casing similar to the iPad Pro and iPad Air, small bezel, no home button
  • larger 10.9" screen
  • USB-C charging (but USB 2.0 speeds)
  • landscape camera (camera module on long screen edge)
  • faster SoC (A14)
  • touchID in the power button
  • no more headphone jack
  • some new colors (silver, blue, pink, yellow)
  • new folio case ($250)
  • new contact point locations (incompatible with iPad Pro and iPad Air keyboards)
  • new price: starting at $450 (up from $329)

It supports the 1st-gen Apple Pencil with its rigid lightning connector, which unfortunately means it needs to be charged with an (included) lightning to USB-C adapter. There is also a new $250 folio case that turns the iPad a sort of mini Surface.

Ars review:

Lisa’s review:

The first fifty or so posts in this thread have been moved out of the M2 iPad Pro rumor + release thread, where the release discussion started on Oct 18. I tried to leave most ‘mixed discussion’ topics in that thread, and moved the iPad 10 comments to this thread.

2 Likes

I can just imagine what Jobs would say about aping an MS construct.

iPad 10 is a bit of a shocker - it IS a Surface Pro design (Back cover detachable from front keyboard, kickstand, and full function key row) - didn’t see that coming - AND landscape camera…

it’s called the new Magic Keyboard Folio and ONLY for iPad 10

I didn’t think Apple could ever best MS in a “meh” contest, but today proved me wrong. The iPad Gen 10 packs a landscape camera (!!!) and new Magic Keyboard Folio, which is clearly a Surface Pro/Logitech Combo Touch design ripoff, but with the usual Apple design flair (magnetic back attachment of kickstand, and I’m sure the keyboard is a winner). It is the ONLY bright spot in today’s yawner of an Apple series of releases. But even then, the iPad10 is hobbled with Pencil 1 support - what’s with that - too many still sitting in the warehouse gathering dust?

Yes, I am being an a$$, but I am so disappointed on so many levels. Bring that landscape camera and Magic Keyboard Folio to the M2 iPad Pro and you have a double, maybe triple, but right now it is at best a walk.

Maybe Logitech will get it right for the iPad Pro…

3 Likes

BTW: $249 for the magic keyboard for the new standard iPad seems pretty steep, even by Apple standards. The 3rd party accessory makers will likely benefit though

4 Likes

It’s also a substantial markup for the entry-level iPad: $449 starting for the 2022 model, up from $329 for the 2020 model.

Suddenly, the Surface Go is a comparative bargain.

Microsoft may have held off on the Go 4 launch for several good reasons, and Apple’s iPad price increase may have been one of the big ones.

2 Likes

Because they’re idiots?

4 Likes

Two reasons. First, to let Apple fall flat on their faces with the iPad. Second, and this one is absolutely critical, to wait for next-gen Alder Lake Pentiums to become available. I am strongly suspecting that Intel® Pentium® Gold Processor 8500 or a derivative of it will be Surface Go 4’s entry-level processor. Though that has “launched,” it has not been seen in the wild yet so I am guessing real mass production probably only recently has started. Given that is a full 12th Gen processor like the full-fat Core models, that processor should get you performance on par with Surface Pro 7:

Intel Pentium Gold Processor 8500 8M Cache up to 4.40 GHz Product Specifications

2 Likes

I 100% agree. The incredibly stupid plug in the end design of the Apple Pencil 1 alone is enough to make me never want one. I would definitely consider this as a companion device to my IPP 12.9 as a take on the go sketching/note taking device if I could just move my current Pencil 2 over to it and be on my way. The redesign is nice in so many ways, but falls short in a big enough way to never be useful to me.

5 Likes

One word for everything they did. EDUCATION.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that require something in the price range of a Chromebook?

1 Like

Apple does discount for education, but in the districts, we work with, it’s not a choice between chrome books or iPads but more a grade or subject matter driven choice.

In other words, in my son’s district k-6 gets chromebooks and middle and high school get iPads

3 Likes

So with the basic iPad now losing the home button, does that leave the iPhone SE as the lone iDevice with a dedicated home button? I loved being able to give my folks an iPad that worked as simply as the ones before it. I mean it’s only one swipe gesture, but I liked the simplicity of the button.

1 Like

Looks a bit different outside the U.S.

1 Like

they are going to continue to sell the 9th gen with home button for at least the next year

2 Likes

I’m sure it does, true of almost all tech. 8 inch android tablets rule in Vietnam for instance

1 Like

A bit curious, are iPads a given also in public schools? Federal programs available for cash poor districts?

That’s where it gets complicated, where the affluent districts get iPads, though there are some low income targeted programs that are also in use.
Title 1 programs being the most notable

1 Like

I hope youre right. It is an interesting looking CPU.

1 Like

On the iPad front (although not M2), there’s a rightly critical article on the new “budget” iPad from The Verge today:

1 Like