M2 iPad Pro 11

I don’t have a ruler to measure the hover distance of my HPZBx2, but I estimate it to be between 16mm and 20mm. So I’m not sure if I’ll be satisfied with 12mm…

3 Likes

Since @Kumabjorn doesn’t do these things as much anymore, let me be the first to say “it’s not the size of the hover that matters, it’s how you use it”.

And on a more serious note, it might not be perfect, but 12mm is better than 0mm!

5 Likes

Definitely yes… but we might also need to keep an eye on the hovering latency/lag, because it’s still battery-powered anyway.

How much noise it makes matters too. Don’t want to disturb your neighbours. This is especially true if you’re doing using it, somewhere like a library or court room.

1 Like

Not sure if a screen protective film will help reducing any noise, but that seems to belong to pre-2010 era and people are no longer discussing it nowadays…

1 Like

Not the kind of ‘protective film’ I was thinking of.

1 Like

I get yelled at and banned when I do that.

6 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

But you put that landscape camera on the M2 iPad Pro and pair it with the new Magic Keyboard Folio, and you are set up for great things…

1 Like

An honest review (and reviewer) that I agree with to the max on this non-upgrade cycle…

IF you don’t have a Pro and need one, then of course consider the M2 for longevity, but watch for real bargains in the M1 space…

Even generally strong Apple supporters as dissing the M2 iPad Pro…

YES, I AM piling on today…

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not seeing the basis for all this overdone outrage on YouTube. Anybody who knew anything knew it was going to be an incremental upgrade. The jump to M1 is not going to be repeated this decade. Besides, it’s still overkill for an iPad and will be for some years to come. The other small upgrades are par for the course for iPads. I get that some people are upset that the base model iPad got some features that they wanted on the Pro version, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. It’ll come next revision. In the meantime, don’t buy the newest Pro if it’s not enough of an upgrade from whatever you have now. As in any year of the past.

This list is actually pretty decent compared to some previous iPad Pro upgrade years.

4 Likes

I would like a good sharp cheddar to go with my whine @Dellaster if you please…

3 Likes

Alright, yeah, I’m convinced. This is not the upgrade for me. I’ll either find a refurbished M1 IPP 11 or go ahead and bite on the Mini 6. Or, shocker, be content with my current 12.9.

I mean, I guess I can’t complain too much. I bought the 2020 IPP, which was so barely incremental from the 2018. I got a bigger camera bump on the back, which is useless, since my Pixel 6 is way better for pictures anyway.

But at the same time, I still want to complain. I like the idea of hover for the pencil, and that’s literally it. I don’t even think Apple pulled it off well, but we’ll see when the few reviewers who do review this test it out. My bigger complaint was echoed in a couple of other reviews. Why did the base model get most of the things being asked for first instead of the Pro model, which usually gets the good stuff first? And now the base model is in this weird in-between of being useful in any way and definitely not at all. Price wise, it’s not worth the increase in price for landscape vs portrait camera. That’s really all you get unless you shell out more for the accessories. Apple just gave a halfway attempt at both, when they should have made an actual effort on one or the other. (preferably the pro)

3 Likes

Similar thoughts on this article and the circus that’s going on over in the sewers…err forums at Macrumors.

iPad 10 vs. iPad Air Buyer’s Guide: Is the $150 Difference Worth It? - MacRumors

I’ve said it on other threads, but I’ll repeat myself, Apple under Cook has been the masters of incrementalism.

BTW: I do suspect that there are still some Pandemic/Supply Chain effects happening. In other words, we likely would have had some of the other promised /rumored features in the new pro, but the supporting components weren’t ready. OTOH, because the move to the M2 was well under way, it was likely more cost effective to go ahead and move the Pros to the M2.

2nd BTW: However if you want/need/can make good use of a specific feature that’s new, then you’ll likely upgrade, if not you’ll wait for the next rev. Or in my case. because I have a 2018 pro, but want to run Stage Manager with external display support, but are otherwise satisfied with the performance I have now, I’m looking for a closeout deal on the 2020 model

2 Likes

Gah! Provolone!

3 Likes

And FWIW, one of the biggest negatives of being an Apple user, is putting up with so many other Apple users who have an outsized sense of entitlement and I think that’s where a lot of the sour grapes comes from

@Bronsky and @dstrauss See how I tied the whole wine and cheese thing in… :crazy_face:

5 Likes

And Pepper Jack or bust for me, please!

2 Likes

ONLY good for grinders - for the non-east coasters among us - the original sub sandwiches with salami (or other unidentifiable meats), shredded cabbage (and other veggies), and an oil based dressing…

2 Likes

My choice too since I’m usually cooking up something Southwestern with jalapeños and such. :vb-agree:

2 Likes

Wensleydale is the king of all cheeses and I’ll hear nothing of any of the pretenders!

Oh, errr, were we supposed to discussing something else…?

4 Likes