iPad Pro with "Pro Mode" and/or dual booting Mac OS?

Gurman called it today in his article at Bloomberg:

“ The iPad’s next major software update, iPadOS 16, will have a redesigned multitasking interface that makes it easier to see what apps are open and switch between tasks, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the changes aren’t yet public. It also will let users resize app windows and offer new ways for users to handle multiple apps at once….The new iPad interface will be one of the biggest upgrades announced at the conference,…”

1 Like

There is ALWAYS hope (how’s that for changing tunes)…

Midland TX last measurable precipitation was 0.3" on September 9 of LAST YEAR, but in the last two days we’ve had just under 3" of rain. Praise the good Lord, and maybe we’ll see a miracle on Monday… :+1: :grin:

Tim’s courage…

1 Like

Impressive! Stage Manager and the updated Files app take a huge step forward into a desktop-like experience lightyears better than Windows 11 which is a huge step backward into a cheap, lazy Apple parodied reality. (I keep finding more and more unfinished parts of Windows 11 every day. In fact, I just realized today that Windows 11’s emoji set is unfinished when I saw the international flags on Discord in Windows 11. They just use abbreviated English letters. How is that even useful for non-English speaking users?) Honestly, Microsoft would be smart to bring back many of the Windows 10 advancements because the iPad is starting to look super appealing to me. At this point, all I need is VM support for my legacy Windows apps and then I will be kissing Surface goodbye for good.

1 Like

@Hifihedgehog you could have all of that right now with an M1 iPad Pro and a subscription to Windows 365. It’s darn near flawless, especially on the 12.9

and you know you want to switch… :laughing:

Haha, I do need offline support for backwoods excursions where the cloud can’t quite connect reliably. So I could pay the $99 luxury tax for an Apple developer account which is cheaper than Windows 365, and then when I install UTM, I only will need to only need to get resigned once a year with AltStore (Redirecting…).

Tempting, tempting… and I just got a Surface Pro 8! I’m thinking I’d have to experiment with UTM first on my iPhone to see how easy it is to manage VMs. My thought process is if I can maintain and transfer the VM files around easily, then I may make the jump and kiss Surface goodbye for good.

I’m trying to reserve judgment until some independent reviews come in or even until I get my own hands on it, but I have to admit it looks impressive. And the iPad Pro looks just like the Mac now with Stage Manager active. Convergence.

Looks like an external monitor for iPad Pro is now fully functional.

2 Likes

Answer: Ooh boy… Yes, they can! UTM uses standard KVM QCOW2 image files (Redirecting…), which can easily be converted for other VM managers. Hmm…

BTW: Apple isn’t the dark side for Windows refugees… it’s the Space Gray one:)

2 Likes

Well, Apple has made the iPad a whole lot more appealing of a value proposition. The release price of the MacBook Air 2022 is $200 more than the preexisting MacBook Air 2020, which released at $999 and is maintaining its price point despite the 2022 model’s debut. I would not mind seeing the iPad’s more appealing price leading to the MacBook Air getting phased out, especially now that they finally have a very solid multitasking management system. They just need to flip the switch for macOS app support, which should be an exceptionally smooth transition now that the UIs look so alike, and game set match. Do that and maybe even add in Rosetta 2 to fully seal the deal and the Surface line is effectively hung, drawn, and quartered.

Ugh! M1 only! I have the 2020 12.9 IPP. I could try to sell it and upgrade, but I’d still be shelling out quite a bit for the upgrade I’m sure. And then do I sell my magic keyboard and transition to the 11" or stay 12.9? Maybe I’ll just wait till this gets fleshed out a bit more and the IPP gets the M2 eventually.

1 Like

Space Gray Refugee 1 here -

• Looks like Apple is delivering 70-80% of what I wanted on iPadOS 16 (jury out on file management and app power)
  • Really like the look of Midnight MBA M2, BUT got too good of a deal on my MBP14 !!!

Given that Microsoft seems to target iPadOS first with their Office updates, this may be the ticket to my one device solution, especially if this fall brings an M2 iPad Pro with landscape camera…

2 Likes

Ouch, I didn’t notice that detail. They’re really burning those ships. A12X iPP isn’t that old as iPads go. :astonished:

Available on iPad Pro and iPad Air with the M1 chip, Stage Manager comes with full external display support with resolutions of up to 6K, so users can work with up to four apps on iPad and four apps on the external display.

1 Like

Maybe they’ll just add the iPhone camera attachment function like on the Mac.

2 Likes

That would be even better - could stick with M1 then…

1 Like

That might be enough of an enticement for me to upgrade my 2020 IPP. Landscape camera and external monitor support. Sounds almost like a real productivity device.

2 Likes

This may be the first time I do an Apple beta - I want to give it a good go before deciding on whether to upgrade this fall. Everyone here knows I’ve whined incessantly first for a WinPad and then for a MacPad, and it may just be an iPad Pro that takes the day.

OK, I know I’m salivating over one of Apple’s well honed marketing machine presentations, so I’m trying to dial it back a bit. Still, they did come through with many of my must haves. It still remains to be seen what/how Files has been improved, how well external screen support works, and give us a POINTER not a big dot. Right now I’m back to a Combo Touch* keyboard for my iPP11, and even though it is chunky and heavy, it still is an overall great size and weight (2lb 6oz with Pencil) that I want for an all in one.

• Dropped my iPad and scratched the frame without it, and I’ve never dented/scratched any device before, so I went back for more protection for now.
2 Likes

I’m pretty happy with my dbrand skin, which protects the back and side edges. Screen protector also of course (iCarez matte w/mild paper feel). It will ward off scratches and adds some grip depending on which texture you choose.

I chose a style that omits the Apple logo cutout on the back.

2 Likes

Thanks Ted - mine took a ding right on the corner edge ext to the glass - but at least no screen damage. May have to send to Apple under AppleCare+ before a trade/sale…

Back to the topic at hand - did anyone hear (or should that be did anyone here even watch) why there is a four app limit for each monitor (8 total between iPad and external monitor)?

UPDATE - may be hope for the Files App - from the Apple website:

“ Enhanced Open and Save panel - The Files app offers a unified view of Open and Save menus, which makes it easy to save files with related files and rename folders inline to better organize your files. A sidebar shows your external drive and cloud providers in a single place so you can open your files from any location.”

3 Likes