Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

Hey! I couldn’t resist and update to overnight shipping and mine still says 5 December as the estimated date of delivery…

3 Likes

Mine is still showing as November 30

1 Like

I switched sellers and now getting a BuyDigg 256gb/unlocked open box with one year warranty from Microsoft for $325 - felt the warranty and “nearer to new” was worth a few extra bucks. Should be here Tuesday

4 Likes

That’s about 50 bucks less than I paid for my new unlocked 256 GB on Amazon which, although new, for whatever reason only had a warranty until late August of next year when I registered with Microsoft. You got a better deal assuming there’s no issue with it. Good luck!

2 Likes

@Dellaster - I figure at these prices I’ll at least get use as a tablet if nothing else. Recent reviewers of the Duo1 with Android 12L are loving it, even with its 3 year old 855 processor. My hope is that it can be as useful as old Asus VivoTab 8’s even if it is a skinned version of Android. My thinking is to set it up to as close looking of a clone of Win11 as possible and not let the usual Android cruft discourage me.

Besides, as you pointed out, it could always become a science experiment for Win11 WOA… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :scream:

3 Likes

Sounds good, just be careful with “handy utilities” and “cool themes/skins” etc, it still seems like Android is more prone to malware and spyware than iOS.

2 Likes

Good advice. seems that MS Android 12L comes pretty closely “skinned” to Win 11; I’m mostly thinking of loading Office 365, OneNote, Outlook, Teams, Chrome, Zoom, Ringcentral, and Adobe up front just like my SP8 Taskbar and hiding all the rest.

2 Likes

May have already reported this, but MS Sales (take with a kilo of salt) assured me the same Slim Pen 2 can be used on both your SP8 and Duo1 without having to “reconnect” back and forth - that will be nice if true.

2 Likes

The Slim Pen 2 seems to be the one to get since with 12L there’s a new control panel just for it in the Duo’s settings. Other pens need not apply.

Using the slim pen 1 on my OG Duo and it actually feels smoother writing in OneNote than the Slim pen 2. Still on A11 though; not sure of the experience with 12L. I just use the relatively weak magnet on the back of device to store the pen.

2 Likes

Note to self, never declare that you’re satisfied with your device stable here “until geek lust strikes” because then it most certainly will. :vb-embarassed-laugh:

2 Likes

Yeah I was just thinking of starting another mega enabler thread along the lines of “when do you expect you’ll replace the devices that you’re currently using”. Would have some overlap with this thread most likely, but might still be a fun discussion.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. I dug my own grave when I admitted that I use the Surface Duo Uno all the time instead of my M1 iPad Pro 11, which just sits gathering dust. I hate to leave good items gathering dust… then I made the mistake of being curious how much I would have to pay for an M2 iPad Pro 12.9 inch with trade-in of my Pro 11 plus my veterans discount… And yesterday I was setting up that iPad Pro 11 with external keyboard in readiness for novel writing month and thinking that portrait mode was great with Ulysses & typing but a little bigger would… $750 delivered for a 256GB doesn’t seem too bad, right?

2 Likes

Go for it, sir.

2 Likes

It arrives Tuesday.

2 Likes

First time It feels appropriate to use the ROTFL emoji! :joy: That’s incredible. This place really is the worst! (in a good way)

I very much want the mini led goodness of the 12.9 Pro, but with that size the portability kind of goes out the door. And I have the sense that the multitude of devices is already taking up way too much space in my mind. I wish I could be more like @Bronsky in terms of tech austerity! :+1:t2:

BTW I didn’t even need or want better headphones, then this thread (plus my own curiosity) made me try the AirPods Max, and after an easy Costco return now I’m waiting for my Drop/Sennheiser HD6xx open back headphones I just ordered. So yeah, my Fall budget is going great.

2 Likes

Done!

I don’t know what the opposite of Alcoholics Anonymous is, but this place is TRULY a graveyard for techno lust restraint…we ALL need severe intervention (as he stares at a a Best Buy open box excellent MBP 14 10c/16c 16gb 1tb for $1827) …

3 Likes

That moment when you realize you have zero kidneys left to sell Apple Fanboys buying The New iPhone 14 Pro Max - YouTube

4 Likes

Hilarious and well done! :smile_cat:

Sometimes I wonder: what will run out first, my money or my rationalizations?

4 Likes