Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

Your body parts?

3 Likes

Like in that video? Too old and used to be worth anything in trade, alas.

3 Likes

For those interested in getting those fancy Sony noise canceling headphones, you can get the WH-1000XM4 for $228 right now on Amazon, down from $350. I had a price alert set up while looking for alternatives for the AirPods Max, pretty substantial drop!

Edit: as of Nov 7 they’re back up to $350

2 Likes

Flash sales are getting to be quite the rage - especially on Amazon and Best Buy, where the sale can disappear before you can tout the good news elsewhere…

1 Like

Yeah, that great deal on the iPad Air that I posted was gone in the blink of an eye as well. I do recommend using camelcamelcamel.com alerts if you’re not in a hurry to get something. They show the price history for almost any Amazon item, and you can get an email whenever the price drops to a level that you find acceptable.

4 Likes

Still humming and hawing about getting a small extra tablet.

I had fun with e-ink, but it was too slow and the devices with faster refreshes are too much for what they offer.

So now I’m down to a Samsung Tab A 8.0, Surface Duo (first gen at current prices), and an iPad Mini 6. The iPad is probably out as there’s one app that isn’t and likely will never come to iOS that I use a lot. I also don’t want to get sucked back into Apple’s ecosystem.

Do you still use your Galaxy Tab, @Kumabjorn?

Both the 6 Lite and the 8 with S-pen. Every day, for hours.
The 6 is the 2020 model, so you’d get the new 2022 today (unless the the old one is available at some discount place).
Alas, I don’t game. So that might be a limitation.

2 Likes

No need for Android gaming for me. Perhaps some sketching.
I’m not in the market for a 10" device, as I’d definitely get the S6 Lite if I were.

I’m still kicking myself for not getting the 8" when they were available brand new.

1 Like

I fire mine up occasionally. Even stripped down, no MS apps, no games, and only 3 or 4 others, it CRAWLS…

3 Likes

Geez, what did you do to the poor thing.

Even the Tab A (2015) I have manages to not crawl with more installed. I mean sure, it can only run about two apps at once, but it’s far lower-specced.

1 Like

That Samsung Z Fold 4 has a 7.6" screen - just sayin’

3 Likes

And a US $1700 price too, just sayin’ even louder :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s what I don’t understand. It’s running OneUI 3.1, Android 11, July security patches.

At this point my use case is really OS/UI comparison, “Google Only” sandbox, and emergency device in the event something happened to iPM6.

After A11 update, I started noticing it took forever to boot, or run updates from the Play Store. I figured the MS upgrades to OneNote and OneDrive and Office were choking it on A11. So I stripped it down.

Everything is now stock. I used the device health app, deleted caches, uninstall unused apps, etc. I only use one or two Chrome tabs at a time. It has 15 of 32GB storage available.

I thought it’d be snappier. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Although for use around the house this is the one case where an eBay sale with “bad ESN” isn’t immediately disqualified.

3 Likes

Same here. It’s basically a living room tablet for reading the occasional fax messages that come in rather than printing it out. There’s not much to do with that thing.

1 Like

And for the adventurous, Z Fold 3 eBay refurbished (excellent rated), unlocked, 512gb, with 1 yr Allstate warranty for $599

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194934363954

Enablers never waiver…even if they are out of the market on Android…

4 Likes

I think for a little extra, one can score the Fold 4. Sammy is aggressively discounting it.
BTW, when’s Black Friday?

It is the day after Thanksgiving. This year, it is the 25th.

1 Like

Where is fold lifespan right now on these things? Is it still only good for a year even if it is refurbished and “fixed?” Referring to fold longevity here:

2 Likes

As @Bronsky says, although due to sellers trying to one-up each other, the deals are gradually coming earlier in the month, leading to some people jokingly calling November “Black Friday month”. :vb-grin:

2 Likes