Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

No.

5 Likes

Well, they promise 3 years of updates on the Pixel phones. and the typical Chromebook gets 5 years or so of OS updates, so they do a decent job IMHO. For instance, they just this summer ended updates for the original Pixel Chromebook

Now as to if a specific model will get successive new versions hardware wise…

And they have been way better than Lenovo with their Android products which seem to be all over the place.

2 Likes

Google’s support committment for released products isn’t what’s in question here; it’s their continued commitment to releasing new products or upgrades in a line. It’s so bad it’s a meme now.

3 Likes

Note to self, don’t confess wanting to buy something here, because you might be encouraged. :smiley:

The monitor that @Desertlap recommended is indeed great, still available at $350 to Costco members for another few days.

Initially I wasn’t getting the full resolution, but ultimately switching to the DP port on my USB-C dock fixed it. Might have been a bad HDMI cable. Love it, it even includes speakers so I could take my separate PC speakers off my desk, which is a nice clean look. All for $350 plus tax, that’s just incredible.

9 Likes

I got the LG35WN75C about two years ago on sale from Amazon and I’ve been very happy with it! Not sure what exactly the difference is to the 65C-B in your link (something I read online suggested maybe the 65C-B doesn’t have USB-C?), but probably very similar. For the price that offer sounds great! Though I never quite know what you guys actually end up having to pay, afaik that price is exclusive of taxes, right? If it lands around 400 total, it’s also interesting how stable the price has remained in a way, as I think I paid something like 420€ two years ago (on prime day, to be fair - and with current exchange rates things look worse for us Europeans anyway).

1 Like

It’s more likely your dock than the cable, but either or both could be the culprit.

Out of curiosity, which dock do you have?

BTW: speaking more broadly/generally, if you have the option to connect a monitor to a computer DisplayPort or HDMI, 9 times out of 10 you will get the best results via DisplayPort.

There are multiple factors involved, but to greatly oversimplify, HDMI is a TV first spec while DisplayPort is a computer monitor first spec. Among other things big chunks of even the latest 2.1 HDMI spec are optional versus required to implement. And the more advanced features require both more advanced controllers, but also enhanced software/firmware. And of course, if an OEM is looking for places to cut costs…

One notable exception is Sony’s new InZone 27 inch 4k display. It’s overall a very good display, but notable to date for being the only we’ve tested that passed HDMI 2.1 certification.

2 Likes

Not really device I wanted because I already owned it, but promotion like this made me jealous of the US: 70$ upfront and 24 monthly payments of 1.2$. Please tell me there is caveat to this deal:
https://www.t-mobile.com/tablet/samsung-galaxy-tab-s7-fe-5g?sku=610214671073

Typically you’re stuck with that cell service for the entire 24 months. If you leave the service or drop that line you’ll be billed the full remaining retail price. They do this to keep customers paying their high rates.

1 Like

So it’s a higher rate for cel service you are charged if you apply this deal, or is your cel service rate is always that high?

You’ll need a new line for that device but you’re not paying more than normal rates. Which are plenty high enough in the States.

Edit: these are generally great deals for those people who know they will not be leaving that particular cellular provider. You’re totally locked in unless you want to pay the full price for the device, but if you were going to stay anyway it’s not bad.

2 Likes

So opening line that you might not want or need… But you can cancel old ones? Or not because old line might be tied to that beautiful Fold 4 you bought a few month back xD

Buying gadgets in the US is so much less straightforward than other place. Probably the reason most people own flagship despite it being hella expensive.

Hey, Japan is still pretty bad in that regard. Sure the cell providers were forced to offer unlocked devices (kicking and screaming), but compared to much of the world that has had SIMs be transferable for many years now…

1 Like

It’s this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NDGD2V5
Got it for $65, and even then it feels overpriced tbh. I think they play a marketing game where they withhold a couple of ports, and every next port is $10 or so. Clever, and annoying. :slight_smile:

Anyway, the first one had issues with ethernet disconnecting, but the replacement with different internals works fine. So there’s a chance that the HDMI issue was hardware or driver related. I didn’t use the manufacturer provided HDMI cable though, it was an old one that came with a mini monitor for connecting to a raspberry pi, so probably not the best cable in the world. :slight_smile:

Thanks, haven’t tested that one. Interesting that in the spec it says this:

“Connect to both simultaneously to enjoy crystal-clear streaming or mirroring across 2 displays at up to 2K@60Hz.”

That tells me they are tunneling HDMI versus DisplayPort and essentially bottlenecking the data path. In other words, it is the hub. :slight_smile:

BTW: Unrelated, but I’d also imagine that using the ethernet port will slow data transfer over USB to some extent as well. Likely not enough to be a deal breaker IMHO, but something to be aware of if you make heavy use of external drives (they probably share a bus controller in other words)

1 Like

Pushes credit card BACK into wallet!!!

I would love this, but I’m not willing to give up the swivel, touch and ink of the Surface Studio.

3 Likes

Do they still lock down their tethering APN with certificates so the phone is useless with virtual operators?

Let me update my “not quite ready to buy” list (aka the “give it another few weeks” list).

On it:

• any iPhone 14 flavor: just too expensive.
  • SP9: not enough OLED (plus enjoying my SLS)
  • iPad mini: too much overlap with other tablets
  • iPad 11 M2: not enough miniLED, too similar to M1
  • iPad Pro 12.9: too big, too expensive, great screen though
  • AirPods Pro 2nd gen: gen1 still going strong
  • MS dev box 2022: so cute, but zero need

Off the list

• 35" widescreen monitor (got one)
  • Airpods Max (didn’t live up to the hype)
  • Sennheiser 58X, 6XX, 600, 650. Got a pair of HD6XX, love em!
  • MS Surface Duo gen1 as a reader/toy (got one, 256GB unlocked)
  • Apple Watch Ultra: tempting, but very bulky (oops… fell for open box Thanksgiving deal)
3 Likes

Enablement Mode ACTIVATED

Can’t go wrong with that one at the current prices. And if you ever get bored you can always try to put Windows 11 WOA on it!

Enablement Mode ON STANDBY

3 Likes

Kindle Scribe will be mine at the end of the month. I have no need for it other than curiosity and gadget lust, especially since I already have a work provided Kobo Elipsa. OTOH all my personal eBooks are in Kindle format.

5 Likes

Looking forward to your impressions!