Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

Very helpful. Thanks much

There is an easy way to resist them. In 3 years the battery life won’t be as good & it’s quite possible that you might have to get the battery replaced or the whole device. Which at that price is a bit egregious when a wired headphone half the price could last you easily 2 decades & still sound like it did on day 1.

1 Like

yeah but $79 dollars to replace the battery doesn’t strike me as an unreasonable fee and unlike the rest of tech, headphones don’t obsolete nearly as fast.

Depends on the model. There are AirPod Pro owners who are like 2-3 years in & at the point it’s either time for a new one cause battery life isn’t there anymore. Headphone batteries aren’t that big.

1 Like

I’m tempted to try Nreal Air glasses paired up with Dex mode.

2 Likes

Me too. Very much interested in these.

1 Like

I’m pretty tempted lately by some of the low price 4k TVs for a secondary room, to finally upgrade from 1080p. But I’m concerned that’ll be a pretty expensive upgrade because I have a feeling once I see 4k there, I’m going to want it for the living room projector as well. So for now at least, I’m continuing to hold off. :joy:

5 Likes

Well since we are known for being enablers, speaking specifically of televisions, even the low end 4k models are going to have as good or likely better image quality than even the best 1080p sets of the time…

It’s purely a product of improvements in the manufacturing process in the last three years or so, coupled with significant improvements in the image processing firmware that came about to support 4k and then HDR 4 k.

Truly, my parents last Christmas replaced a 1080p Samsung that cost them $1750 with a TCL4 K that cost them $350. Even the most basic content OTA looks notably better than their Samsung did, plus of course the TCL is a smart TV.

Screen technology is rapidly becoming like audio where even a relatively cheap set up sounds really good and you pay dearly for the small incremental improvements beyond.

PS: The bezels of the old Samsung look practically cartoonish compared to the TCL

4 Likes

4k creep can be a real issue.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m seriously debating on whether I should get a second Samsung UR55 for a two-monitor setup.

I love the UR55. Not the absolute best 4k display available but by far the best bang for the buck under $750.

BTW: one reason for that is that unlike LG’s and Dell’s in that price range Samsung still calibrates each display at the factory so they are quite accurate out of the box.

PS: As I’ve told others, be aware that once you’ve spent significant time with a 4k desktop display, you are going to have a hard time going back to lower resolution displays.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, one day I’d like to buy one of those Dell ultrawide 34" monitors with USB-C hub. I rarely need that much space, and yet I kind of want one. Currently the Dell 3419W is $250 off, now at $620… :scream: Of course once I get one I’ll start looking at the next step up. :vb-grin:

1 Like

That’s a good display but I tend toward LG in the Ultrawide space as they essentially created it and thus have been doing it longer.

So with the dual caveats that you can only get it at Costco, and it’s curved (which is actually a benefit specifically with an ultrawide IMHO), we tested this LG and it did very well overall being fairly accurate out of box as well as having exceptional uniformity which is extra important in an ultrawide.

It also does a decent job with HDR if you like to watch Marvel movies on Disney Plus.

LG 35" Class UltraWide Curved WQHD HDR10 Monitor | Costco

And again, on sale as it is right now, great bang for the buck

1 Like

Hot damn, $350, that’s incredible. Only thing missing is a built-in USB-C hub, but at that price… Wow.

I was incredibly happy with my upgrade from my 24" 1080p monitor to my 2k QHD 27" monitor at somewhere around $200. And now 4k is already trying to reach those price points. It’s insane how quickly technology moves the needle for low end products sometimes.

2 Likes

Reminds me of a story…

Bill Gates once bragged about how Microsoft and Windows kept driving DOWN the price of nearly everything technology wise, unlike the lumbering and high cost airline industry. Carl Icahn’s reply to the general public - “Do you want a blue screen of death on your next flight?”

2 Likes

Darn it!

:joy:

1 Like

Okay, the new folding Pixel phone, due out in March, 23 might have caught my attention. It will likely have all the advantages of the Samsung Fold 4 (including a Samsung display) without some of the drawbacks. It will have a wider and squatter display that folds out to the identical size of the Fold 4 unfolded. It will have a front display and three cameras that will be identical to the current Pixel 7. Google Pixel Fold release date rumors and features | Tom’s Guide (tomsguide.com) The only real question is whether or not it will have a pen. As one rumor has the phone being called the Pixel Notepad, a stylus might be in order. Time to Wait and Hope.

4 Likes

I like my Pixel 6, but I definitely miss the size of my Huawei Mate 20X. This could be really tempting.

My concern would be Google’s commitment going forward. Samsung will support the Fold series for a good period, but will Google do the same if sales are lackluster?

6 Likes