Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

So this is a much more affordable alternative to the Samsung, It doesn’t have the total class leading performance of the Samsung, but it’s also 1/5th the price.

Definitely good bang for the buck, though.

Note this uses a VA panel versus an IPS which is typically used in the higher end displays. The trade off is narrower viewing angles and less accurate colors (though very good both generally and especially for a VA panel) . But on the upside it has very good contrast.

It also has something I wish more displays had which is built in speakers. Granted they are just adequate overall and even a cheap set of external speakers will outperform them. but OTOH, it does reduce cable clutter and in my case if i want great gaming sound, I’d use a headset anyway.

PS: For those IOS16 beta users out there, it is compatible with Stage Manager and also works well as a USBC hub (no TB support)

PPS: A nitpick, but I wish reviewers would stop using the term input lag, because among other things it implies that different inputs such as HDMI or DisplayPort will vary. A better term would simply be something like just response time as it’s solely down to the image processing the display is doing which is not input specifc.

3 Likes

So this is a fairly snarky article and I’m not getting the point I guess of what they are saying.

Samsung’s $3,500 Odyssey Ark gaming monitor is now on sale - The Verge

Of course this is expensive, anything absolutely top spec always is. It’s covered by the old maxim, if you have to ask…

Though it’s actually a bargain (and is more generally compatible) compared to Apples XDR display.

Buy Pro Display XDR - Apple.

PS: We haven’t formally tested it, but when we got a look, we did test its color accuracy and it exceeded our test equipment capability, showing a Delta e of .08

PPS: The Verge also unseats CNET for ugliest new logo IMHO…

3 Likes

Yes, it wins. :face_vomiting:

Is the offset that makes the “th” in “the” obscured supposed to suggest that they are now “eVerge”?

3 Likes
  1. Makes the CNET logo positively glorious…

2. RULE #1 FOR ALL TECH JOURNALISTS

If it ain’t made by Apple it ain’t worth the price! Witness acceptance of $699 for the wheel kit for the Mac Pro…and $5000 for standard glass as you pointed out @Desertlap

3 Likes

And that, apparently, does not include the stand. Really?

2 Likes

The latest add to my list of would love to have but wont buy.

Part of the problem is that my drawing skills are nowhere near the level that would justify something like this.

OTOH the fact that it is a true 10 bit display instead of 8 bit dithered to 10 bit, means that image quality and accuracy should be exceptional.

Alas the price is certainly eye watering. though given all the tech involved isn’t really overpriced

Wacom’s Cintiq Pro 27 drawing display is its first with a 4K 120Hz screen | Engadget

3 Likes

So basically the Surface Studio display-only edition, only better (excluding PPI), technically speaking?

Pretty much. if they are using the panel, I think they are, it’s an outstanding performer generally. I think it’s deliberate play for the hardcore PhotoShop and Lightroom crowd since its color space aligns almost perfectly with ADOBE RGB

1 Like

Do you happen to know what the pixel response time (BtW and GtG) of that display panel is?

If it’s the panel I think it is, and I’m making an informed guess, but not based info from the company…

5ms for both.

The focus by far with that panel is on overall accuracy and static image quality, 120 hz refresh rate not withstanding

1 Like

That’s more than enough for my needs if I ever wanted to go down that rabbit hole. I wonder if OLED or MiniLED is on the roadmap in 3-5 years?

Maybe not OLED as burn-in is still an issue. For a display that is likely to have toolbars on a it for long periods of time, that would be an issue.

It’s weird but my iPhone 12 Pro Max which I have left on my static home screen for days and days shows no signs of burn-in. Though smartphone displays may be a different story altogether here, I think burn-in problems has improved significantly at least in this category over early generation OLED.

I’ll add the Kindle Scribe to my list. :slight_smile:

Oh and while I’m at it: I’m curious about the airpods max, but they’re just so freakishly expensive! Even used on eBay they’re still approaching $400. If they were $200 I’d give it a go, but until then, on this list they go!

Edit: ended up buying the APM at $430, returning them (didn’t love them) and getting an entirely different product: Sennheiser/Drop HD6xx headphones. Lovely sound, no ANC though.

1 Like

OLED burn in is nowhere near the problem in the last three years or so that it was prior to that.

There are multiple reasons for that, including higher quality materials (purer substrate for instance, or AMOLED tech)) as well as much better software/firmware to manage them. And of course much better knowledge of how to manage or control them (software that limits the maximum brightness, and sensors that will power down a display that has exceeded thermal limits)

So TLDR, for 99% of us, if you have a device with an OLED, that’s less than 4 years old, burn in should no longer be a concern.

So that being said, you can still cause it possibly, by deliberate abuse, eg. a 100% fixed, high contrast static display at 100% brightness on for 300 hours continuously might show some symptoms of “burn in” but even there with something like the displays in an iPhone Pro 12 or Galaxy S21, the effects will recede if the display is allowed to “rest” for a period of time. In other words, powered off.

More broadly speaking tech is prone to “folklore” based often on issues that occur early on and that tend to get repeated ad-Infinium via the internet when in fact it’s no longer true.

OLED burn-in is in that category now, along with advice to deeply discharge your batteries periodically (that will actually slightly shorten the life of modern Lithium Ion batteries) or not “filling up” an SSD (again improvements to raw materials, and software/firmware).

Last but not least, it’s still possible to wreck a display, regardless of tech if you make a deliberate effort to do so, no matter if its OLED. LCD, miniLED etc.

2 Likes

So FWIW beware of getting long term exposure to the AirPod Max. I was resisting pretty well until Apple gave me a long term loan of a pair. By the time I had to give them back, I was already seriously looking for a deal on a pair of my own…

As I type this with a pair of the blue ones on my head right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but as I said, this is for a device that is going to be one for long hours, and at the price it goes for is going to be used for far longer than four years. And there are likely going to be quite a few static parts of the display that can’t be moved easily without annoying the user.

OLED colour accuracy may also play a part though.

I still don’t think burn in will be an issue given the likely panel involved.

What’s still an open question for me, and is more significant in a device like this due to how it will be used, is drift (color shifts) and gray scale linearity shifts which while it’s magnitudes better than it used to be, still occurs, and the likely use cases of a device like this might exacerbate that.

1 Like

May I ask what the tipping point was for you?

A combo of three things.
One was long term wear comfort. When I’m hip deep in an engineering project, where I’m focusing on hardware and not interacting with people, I’ll wear headphones/earbuds for three or four hour stretches, and while I’ll never “forget” I have them on, they don’t cause any significant discomfort such as “hot ears”, or pressure on my head.

Second is the integration between Mac, iPad, and iPhone as I can literally being using one device like the mac, take a phone call and go right back to what I was listening to on the Mac without doing anything beyond switching my focus back to the device.

The third is noise cancelling. What many don’t realize is there is a certain element of variation in audio processing between different people and what is optimum for some is not necessarily universal and the Max up until the new Bose Quietcomfort 2 earbuds gave me the best noise cancelling.

OTOH the new Bose despite better noise cancelling, aren’t nearly as comfortable.

By the way I think the Max have very good audio quality, though I wouldn’t call it the very best; Sennheiser’s new ones sound noticeably better IMHO, but again they aren’t as comfortable with extended wear, nor do they seamlessly switch between devices.

5 Likes