Windows 11

The feature we are getting some interesting reactions to is the new “suggested actions”. Pretty mundane and obvious IMHO for anyone that’s actually used Windows for more than hour…

OTOH they should consider a work/enterprise suggested action for the “New InPrivate Window” feature in Edge. eg. a message “Are you sure you should be looking at that web site on a work system?” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As well as a message “you do realize that IT can still see your IP address and the destination address, right? … Right?”

4 Likes

BTW: FireFox used to do that the first time you accessed the private browsing or don’t track me features, but later builds seem to have turned it off

1 Like

Do any of these updates include restoring pen functionality so that I can select text w/o using a side button?

The other day I finally tried the new taskbar gestures in the 22H2, and incredibly, we can now get to the brightness and volume controls even when fullscreen video is playing. I mean talk about innovation.

Swiping up from the lower right brings up quick settings (volume, brightness, project, Wi-Fi, etc), and swiping up from the lower left brings up the start menu. iOS doesn’t even have that last one, way to go MS. But also: why the heck did you remove this in the first place!!

6 Likes

Great news!

Yeah, the lower left corner swipe does a screen capture in iPadOS.

1 Like

I feel like you’re pulling my leg. I just catalogued all gestures, Shirley I didn’t miss any?

1 Like

I’m telling you it’s so, Joe! Might be new for iPadOS 16. I just tested it out after seeing it on a YouTube.

2 Likes

It does not exist on iOS 16 just on the iPad. There’s also swiping up from the lower right which opens a notepad window.

1 Like

Who even has Win11 22H2 - not I says this Surface Pro 8 owner…

4 Likes

Maybe they’re saving the best for last? My Lenovo laptop got it a couple weeks ago.

It’s a sacrilege that they can’t bring updates to their own hardware timely…Apple does… :rofl: :crazy_face: :thinking:

I do​:raised_hand:. Also got the October update with tabs in Explorer. Loving it though it broke my ever smooth WiDi with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. Now it keeps disconnecting after a short period of inactivity, something it never did before.:frowning:

Did you force a clean install to get it on the SP8?

Haha, I thought you were making this up, but it’s a built-in option. I either turned them off and forgot, or they were off by default. You can actually choose which corner does which of these two things in iOS>Settings>General>Gestures, or turn them off completely. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I got it just through the normal Windows update in settings.

Well bust my buttons, I just now checked and I’m downloading it now…(extra points for the movie quote…)…

2 Likes

WELL - SPOKE TOO SOON - it is only something called:

2022-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5018483)

AND I’m still on 21H2

Nope. Just got the update notification and clicked download and install.

It should be there, and will follow up with the October update right after.