Why are we still at this point?

Don’t misunderstand, I’m glad that Apple seemed to respond relatively rapidly to this…

OTOH as I also downloaded over 25 updates to a Galaxy Tab S9 that had not been used for about a week, I really question why making software more secure to begin with, doesn’t seem to be a priority even with the richest tech company on the planet.

iOS 16.6.1 fixes a big iPhone security vulnerability used to install Pegasus spyware - The Verge

And don’t even get me started on the STILL many unfixed Spectre vulnerabilities.

Bing

The Spectre vulnerability is a security flaw that affects modern microprocessors that perform branch prediction and other forms of speculation . It was discovered in January 2018 by Google’s Project Zero team and independent researchers . The vulnerability involves microarchitectural timing side-channel attacks that can leave observable side effects, which may reveal private data to attackers .

I hope this helps!

1 Like

I think one of the biggest problems is our advancements in software development. We have created so many frameworks and packages and the like that we just trust to do things for us so we don’t have to program them ourselves. It speeds up development time, but at the cost of gaps in knowledge, so we can’t consider security in areas we don’t even know about. It would be prudent for developers to understand them better, but that defeats the purpose of the time savings in many ways. I think this applies more to software to hardware, but affects both to many degrees.

1 Like