Vacation Time - Share Your Pictures

With a view like this I couldn’t help sharing - name the location

4 Likes

Big Bend National Park?

1 Like

Looks like it could be in Colorado, but I don’t recognize it specifically. Not that I’ve been more than a dozen places in Colorado, and there are hundreds of views that might look similar there.

Regardless, enjoy your vacation!

1 Like

Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs - grew up here (through high school). Great place to visit - lousy place to make a living. That’s the view from the city hiking trail behind hte hotel.

3 Likes

Technically not on vacation, but this was on a day off 12 days ago so maybe it qualifies.

3 Likes

Nice thread. This is from earlier today, name that train station.

And the answer is…

Antwerp Central Station, in Belgium.

3 Likes

Had to cheat - it was really hard…

2 Likes

You made me curious so I did some digging and yeah, that’s a hard one, at least for someone like me who’s never even been in a train station, much less on that continent. Even after the motto in French narrowed it down to the country.

1 Like

So is the main product that this city is known for. :slight_smile:

So how did you look it up? Google image search?

I mean, the only passenger train service in the Southwest is Amtrak, which is only used for long distance travel that is quicker and cheaper by plane or automobile. Even a Greyhound bus is cheaper and quicker and used far more often, which isn’t saying much. I don’t count the ticket vending machine, escalator, and turnstile “station” of the BART subway in the San Francisco bay area, nor the similar “station” at the Disneyland monorail ride. :man_shrugging:

The Yuma, Arizona Amtrak station near where I stay for winters. Yes, that’s all of it. Yes, that’s the typical crowd of train-using people you see there in the photo. And no, I have never had any reason to visit it in person.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not actually shocked. I’m well aware that the US’ (and Canada’s) passenger rail is pretty much nonexistent and that there are quite a few vested interests keen to keep that so.

2 Likes

We have decent rail service here on the east coast. Boston to Washington DC is a very well traveled corridor. We have a number of rail stations that are guilded-age masterpieces and the trains deposit you right in the middle of town. They run on time … mostly. The rest of the country, not so much.

So, where in France or Belgum is this station?

3 Likes

Antwerp Central Station, Belgium. Beautiful main building. Lower levels not so much though.

I should have recognized it. I’ve been in the Antwerp station many times.

Maybe you just hadn’t seen it in iPhone-grade wide angle view. :grin:

3 Likes

Rare sighting of bighorn sheep near top of Pikes Peak. If you ever get to the Springs be sure to drive to the top - paved all the way

4 Likes

Pukes Peak?”

Does the exertion of the climb make people Puke when they get there? Or is it the dreaded Apple OS text auto-edit at work?

3 Likes

I HATE AUTOCORRECT ON MY IPHONE - especially since it makes the correction AFTER you push Send or Post.

3 Likes

I left my camera as I wanted to start drawing again for myself

Came back yesterday from 11 days vacation - 10 days ago, I set out my s-pen, zbook stylus, my dip pens, watercolour paints pack and some lovely old antique nibs I wanted to try…

Forgot them all so I ended up with my cheap note-taking biro, some paper and some cheap inks to draw with.

Beach holiday in Majorca.

4 Likes