Space - The Unexplored Frontier

I want this thread to be a place to consolidate any news, photos, videos, etc. regarding deep space related topics. Let’s not include info about low Earth orbit or Moon/Mars exploration. Here’s my first example, the first direct observation of large “super-Jupiter” size planets orbiting a distant star (133 LY away):

6 Likes

What about this?

A neutron star inside another star. This is called a Thorne-Żytkow object

4 Likes

Ultra-luminous X-ray sources: a challenge to our understanding of the universe’s fundamental principles:

2 Likes

I’m going to cheat a bit after I discovered this summary of some of the most interesting Webb discoveries to date:

3 Likes

There has been a lot of activity in cosmology and theoretical physics of late (gravitational waves, etc.) and I don’t pretend to understand this “stuff” but comments in this article really scratched my brain cells:

Another feather in Einstein’s cap “proving” time dilation - but that’s not what was intriguing. Scientists learned this from quasars 12 BILLION light years away. Now think about that - the light we are observing was emitted 12 BILLION years ago - does that not make you wonder:

1. Do they still exist?
  2. If it is an expanding universe, where are they now they are 24 BILLION light years away?
  3. Or are we still just 12 BILLION light years apart and not really expanding?

I know, I know, “How many grains of sand are on the beach?” but still

Spock GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 Likes

See, Webb has proven even the universe doesn’t know what the heck is going on out there:

4 Likes

More powerful than a supernova: the black hole star destroyer…

4 Likes

As a scientist who specializes in low earth orbit remote sensing, I am very triggered by this exclusion.

2 Likes

You could start a Starlink thread (oops).

1 Like

Luminous Fast Blue Optical Transient : this mysterious phenomenon Nicknamed “the Tasmanian Devil” recurrently explodes with supernova-like energies, well after its initial burst and fade.

2 Likes

Milky Way’s Black Hole Is Spinning at Near Maximum

1 Like

With so many conflicting opinions as to the age of the universe (13B or 21B) and seeing such a proliferation of fully formed galaxies shortly after the believed formation of the universe, one has to wonder if we truly live in Einstein’s curved spacetime theory, are we just seeing a reflection of ourselves? In essence, an infinite loop?

1 Like

Wait…what? I see 13.786 billion with an error of 2 million on wiki. Where does your 21B come from?

2 Likes

I only missed it by a few billion…but that nearly perfect double just proves the universe is folded on itself…hahaha

Seriously, it HAS to be older considering the huge number of fully formed galaxies Webb has found that would be less than a billion years after the 13.7B marker…

Or are we seeing ourselves in that mirror…

1 Like

Fun, but one paper by a single Professor doesn’t mean there’s widespread debate of course. Is this getting a lot of traction?

Usually when people come up with a new model that describes the observations better, all kinds of other observations no longer fit the new model. Either way, big fan of astronomy, it’s just awesome how much we keep learning.

Just the other day I finally understood the concept of the “observable universe”, and that there’s no way of ever finding out how much more universe there might be. It’s literally out of reach. As in: light we emit now cannot ever catch up with the expanding universe beyond some “finite distance”. Air quotes because distance becomes a bit vague when space is constantly expanding.

It is coming together because those really deep Webb observations show fully formed galaxies what would only be 400,000,000 years after the Big Bang if the current timeline was still valid…

1 Like

Hasn’t NASA seen the original Star Trek movie…

2 Likes

Webb is proving we don’t know jack about the universe: