Petroglyph National Monument - Albuquerque NM

Treading too far into Ted’s expertise, but I’ve been to Albuquerque dozens of times and just this weekend discovered Petroglyph National Monument in some mesa lined canyons on the NW corner of Albuquerque - well worth the side trip because you can hike trails (including to the top of the mesa) and the glyphs are right next to the trail. PS go early - it’s a real stressor on the mesa wall climb at 97 degrees:

5 Likes

I really enjoyed it too

I unfortunately only had time for the main “tourist” mesa - a second canyon to the NW has a 3.5 mile circuit with over 300 petroglyphs (this one was “only” 2.8 miles).

That first glyph is a Macaw, more than a stone’s throw from its native habitat in Central America…

2 Likes

Could have saved you a long drive old buddy. We have lots of those glyphs in Jersey as close as the nearest overpass.
Glyphs
And you could have stopped off for a coffee at WaWa while you were here.

4 Likes

That second from the left is a CLEAR copyright violation

3 Likes

Stop drawing on rocks!

4 Likes

But what if they used AI as reference to create these new age New Jersey rock paintings? :thinking:

Agreed. Don’t make me sick our resident forum Gorn on you guys, who does not take rock graffiti lightly…

2 Likes

That’s funny … I had the same thought. A hangover from our AI discussion no doubt. :vb_agree:

Loved this episode. It was so cheesy. Gorn spent nearly the entire episode throwing paper mache rocks. It was awe inspiring.

3 Likes

For the Gorn fans - this popped up in a list of Youtube videos I might like (caught me looking here I guess):

1 Like

How did I miss this? This is literally 5 minutes from my house.

1 Like

We’ve been to Albuquerque dozens of times (my wife is from New Mexico) and never knew of it until we were driving out to Rio Rancho and there was a roadside marker saying the monument was this direction…one of the folks at her iris convention told her it is virtually unknown even in Albuquerque…

Oh yeah, I know all about the petroglyphs. Let me write a better post -

How did I miss this post two weeks ago when it was new - DStrauss was 5 minutes away and we didn’t get a cup of coffee together.

2 Likes

Sorry about that on both counts. Unfortunately I didn’t post until we headed back to Midland - next time!

Yeah, the shortest route from Rio Rancho to the petroglyph runs by my house.

1 Like