Vacation Time - Share Your Pictures

Awesome. That’s still far much better than anything I can create with the most advanced art tools.

1 Like

I now have a habit of switching to the OSK before sending or posting. That finalizes it so you get to see and fix the auto miscorrects before it goes out. I often regret it if I forget.

1 Like

Sadly / happily - depending on how you look at it - the 3 drawings I started are mostly unfinished as we met another family whose two kids took a real liking to my daughter so we ended up actually doing holiday stuff and being in the pool more than I intended.

3 Likes

My Vacay won’t be till September, and even then its not even a full vacay.

In trying to take advantage of my remote work capability and to maximize vacation time by doing a weird hybrid trip. 12 nights total visiting San Paulo Brazil and Santiago Chile. But I’m only using 3 vacation days, the labor day holiday, and I will be working remote from Santiago 4 days. (same time zone, so easy transition). Despite the priority shift, will try to have as much fun as I can.

2 Likes

Sounds great, just make sure to keep any pricy technology out of view when in public. Brazil is an amazing country, but there is a lot of crime due to the large number of people living in poverty.

1 Like

Not my first time in South America so I know to take precautions. I’m only going to be working remote during the Chile portion, and with that I’m intending to work from my hotel. In the event that the Hotels Internet is not suitable, I found a whole bunch of we-work/co-working spaces in the city, which I would Uber to since I’ll be carting my Laptop Studio around.

Still deciding what tech to bring since I have so many devices, but contemplating for personal use bringing my Pro 5 and Tab S6 lite since those two devices are somewhat expendable at this point. I have the Pro 8 so the Pro 5 is just collecting dust, and I almost never use the Tab S6 lite for anything beyond Superdisplay.

What would concern me most is my phone, since the Duo 2 is hard not to notice since you have to manually open the ■■■■ thing to use it. Formerly I used my Note 9 as a back up but the battery life is abysmal at this point. I have my Duo 1 but it still stands out, even more so then the DUO 2 because of the white color. Not to mention the terrible camera would ruin some trip pics.
Considering maybe getting a cheap refurbed iPhone SE or something. Looking for something small and cheap, but still decent.

1 Like

Yea. My note 10 battery has gone from a 2 day charge to under a day, depending on use.

1 Like

On my last trip to Brazil I took my iPhone 7 Plus, but I think I would have been fine with my iphone 12 mini. Small enough to look worthless/old-fashioned, and yet a good camera. IPhone SE is a great deal, but the camera is iPhone 8 level with a dash of “AI”.

1 Like

Last share from my Colorado vacation - The Denver Museum of Natural History is hosting the Egypt - The Time of the Pharaohs - and I took these two pictures of the wall size Battlefield Relief - the first was. quick snapshot for scale, the second a sit down, steady the iPhone 13 Pro, and let it do its thing. When I viewed this on my MBP14 I was astounded, and drove another nail in the Windows coffin (I imagine a Ultra 22 could do something similar).

3 Likes

If only there were a way to design a device to have a back that could be popped off and a fresh battery popped in…

It’d be revolutionary, I tell ya!

2 Likes

Ummm, how’s that ‘a nail in the Windows coffin’ when pretty much any device can show you a photo…?

I’ve owned a lot of different cameras (Minolta, Nikon, Lumix), and a lot of different smartphones (iPhone, Note 7, Note 8, Fold 3, and older - Lumia 1020), and none of them could recreate the detail that the iPhone 13 Pro pulled out of that carving with its computational photography and no intervention/settings on my part - and then instantly available on all my other devices. Besides, it’s just another nail in the lid…I can’t upload the video it took of a holographic opening of a sarcophagus and unwrapping and examining the mummy (from scans) because it is HUGE, but the others around me couldn’t get a still image to show up very well.

1 Like

For context, it should be pointed out that in such venues you are not allowed a flash or tripod. Computational photography is unparalleled for low light handheld photography (without even fussing around with settings—super easy; anyone can get great shots) and Apple is in the forefront with that. (As @dstrauss mentioned, the latest premium Samsung might get similar results).

2 Likes

I am eyeing the iphone 12 Mini, in part because its in the $300 price range in the refurb market. As much as the computational photography looks interesting in the 13, its refurb price is nearly that of its retail. This will be ultimately be a backup phone after this Trip, so the cheaper 12 mini is more appealing. And coming from the DUO and DUO2, I’m sure the 12 Mini’s cameras will suit me fine.

They’re great. The one negative is the short battery life. Using it a full day in Mexico for looking things up, calling, navigating I found that it died around 6 pm. That’s with supposed 86% battery health. Otherwise a very good phone.

Is there something about your career that you’re not telling me? Work for the US Diplomatic Service perhaps? Or are you secret service and look after Joe’s security?

Or are you Jason Bourne who just happens to also like technology while being able to destroy opponents with a range of nondescript daily objects??

5 Likes

Well obviously that! :joy:

2 Likes

I was thinking @JoeS was more Liam Neeson - you know, with “special skills"

4 Likes

Oh that’s totally me, using my special skill of rationalizing why I totally need that new piece of technology at that great price. :vb-grin:

5 Likes