Surface Duo 2

The patent design @Nnthemperor linked to in Windows Latest appears to keep something close to the current screen ratios.

I’m with @Bronsky : put Windows on it and I’m in.

1 Like

So, it looks like you can only load Windows on the Duo. Not the Duo 2 yet. But the guy who installed W11 on the Duo is working on it. Surface Duo 2 gets working UEFI for running Windows - Neowin

There was a video the other day of someone playing skyrim on the Duo running W11. The Duo is available on Amazon for $299. That is tempting. Wonder what impact the announcement of the Duo 3 will have on the price of the original.

5 Likes

Looks like a lot of things still aren’t working even on the original Duo: charging and all. :frowning:

1 Like

Yep. It still needs work. But they are making progress.

2 Likes

Very cool and definitely tempting… if I already had a Duo Uno. Not tempting enough to spend $300 or so. But I’ll be curious to see how far they can take it. :+1:

Yea, I’m not quite ready to plink down my hard earned cash yet but every step further that they go makes it more and more tempting. I wonder if we will see any Duo sales during the upcoming Amazon Day or this years Black Friday sales? I’m keeping my eyes open.

If they start blowing them out for 200 bucks I don’t think I’ll be able to hold myself back.

Edit: ah shoot, an unlocked 256GB one, “pre-owned like new”, was going for $290 shipped after my Kindle Paperwhite trade-in balance was applied. Arrives Wednesday.

5 Likes

It’s still supposed to get that update.

2 Likes

Okay, I need to ensure that I never order anything off Amazon.com that isn’t fulfilled (shipped) by Amazon. I won’t go into details except to say the “pre-owned like new” duo’s arrival was going to be a lot later than I expected. I cancelled, but since I’m committed to trying the Duo, with an AT&T SIM card on its way and my cellular plan already adjusted for it, I bought a 256GB one again—new this time—from a seller with pristine ratings and shipped by Amazon. Paid a little more, of course. ETA Friday. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Via Windows Central, an amazing video by Phil Knall, who manages to entirely delete the rear facing camera module from the Duo 2, and is left with a working device sans camera. Impressive! And pretty fun, love stuff like this.

3 Likes

I like this idea from MS to make the Surface Duo series more Windows like (at least in UI), curious to see how far they will go with it: “The company now wants to move away from this paradigm and focus on making the Surface Duo smartphones “an extension of your Windows PC.” Such an idea requires a Windows 11-like design overhaul with Windows 11-like quick settings buttons, icons in the Settings, pen menu, and more. Users will be able to trigger the latter by pressing the top button on the Surface Slim Pen 2.” Android 12L will bring Windows 11 design bits to Surface Duo - Neowin

2 Likes

With the cheap prices and custom Android 12L imminent this is an excellent time to give the OG Duo a try. I’m looking forward to it. And if 12L doesn’t make the Duo sing my song, there’s the Windows 11 hack to investigate. Win-win. :+1:

4 Likes

I agree, although I am far less interested in 12L than I am Windows 10 or 11. That is still a-ways-away. I’m waiting for the spate of sales coming up in a couple of weeks to see if anyone is taking a deep dive on the Duo.

3 Likes

I’ll be interested to see whether the 12L will go to both Duos at the same time, or start with Duo Deux only.

3 Likes

I’d love to see Windows on the duo, it might make me come back. OTOH if it’s a hack, regardless of how good it is, if it doesn’t have Qualcomm’s official blessing, I’d be really leery given what a PITA Qualcomm can be.

I can see them making changes to WOA to block it, which would mean you are then stuck at wherever they pull that.

And FWIW, I think I mentioned that MS has made a ton of commits recently to the Android repository, so that tells me they are still at least somewhat serious about Android and 12l and 13 might bring some nice improvements.

I’m really impressed for instance with 12l on the Samsun Tab 8

3 Likes

I’m actually mostly interested in Android 12L on the Duo Uno. The Windows 11 hack would only be if I was giving up on the Duo completely, as an alternative to throwing it in the cupboard or giving it away to a charity thrift store (I don’t want to ever go through selling hèll again).

If the experience is good I might take a serious look at the third iteration of the Duo, if that happens.

1 Like

Great!

Could they please undo making Windows Android-like and restore pen functionality so that it no longer functions as an 11th touch input and scrolls?

4 Likes

Well, I’m trash, so I could be your bin. :grin:

1 Like

So like… what Samsung have?

1 Like

Got to say the experience was awful until things settled down after Android 11 got a few restarts and sat overnight. Turning off battery optimization for System UI, SwiftKey, and the launcher also made things smoother. :smiley_cat:

Speaking of the launcher:

Launcher 10 brings back memories.

4 Likes