Surface Duo 2

Okay, I admit it. I love the Surface Duo (2).

I have a Surface duo, for audio books, audio, media playback and general browsing/editing docs. I FORCED myself to use it and… now I cannot do without it. It’s fantastic.

Since the last post, I’ve changed my main phone/camera from the Huawei Mate 20 x, to a Pixel 6 Pro. Darn, it’s smooth, but gets very hot. “Warning, your device is warm!” Okay Google, you suck. Nice phone though.

Still, the Duo is fantastic. I’ll grab a Duo 2 once the price falls to around £500, second hand (at least 256Gb, as 120 is a bit tight).

3 Likes

Does anyone here actually uses the Slim Pen on the Duo (1/2)? How well does it function in Android in general? (Like can you easily select + drag text in non-MS apps like Firefox or such? Does right-click do something?)

I use the slim pen 2 everyday with my Duo 2, it works really well. The Slim Pen 1 is super frustrating to use, feels like a crayon on the small screen.

1 Like

Really? I use the slim pen 1 on SDuo 1. Writing in OneNote doesn’t feel like using crayon to me. However, the pen does sleep after a few seconds of inactivity. I don’t think right-clicking works though.

1 Like

It’s possible that my view is jaded moving from 2 back to 1, the 2 has a great nib and writing on the smaller screen works so much better. I just bought another 2 so all 3 of the devices have one :slight_smile:

1 Like

:+1:t4: I use the 2 on my SP8 too. The difference is quite clear.

Can select text but I don’t think it can drag.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks both.

So, not only was Microsoft considering a plastic version of the Duo, it was considering a Wifi version.
Would you buy a WiFi-only Surface Duo? - Liliputing

2 Likes

So the latest info on the Duo and a possible successor.

The rumor that MS has killed the Duo is widespread, and the fact that it’s very hard to buy isn’t helping.

This article also references a rumor that we heard a couple of weeks ago which is that the next Duo might opt for a foldable display. And considering that the office apps already have multiple optimizations for the Samsung Fold, it would make sense to extend them to their own devices.

We expect MS will clarify this at the rumored fall event

Microsoft responds to Surface Duo 2 ‘discontinuation’ rumors | Windows Central

PS: additional support for this rumor is that the display used in the Xaiomi Mix is also available to purchase as an assembly for OEMs

2 Likes

Does the Duo or the Duo 2 have a GPS built in? WIth the price on the Duo so low, I’m tempted to snag one and put Windows on it. The 2 is probably the better device for that? No? I’d like to eventually use it for navigation on my boat.

Also, it is possible to use the two displays as a single display, projecting a single image across both platforms? In not in Android, you think it would be possible in WOA?

Supposed to. See:
Microsoft Surface Duo - Full tablet specifications (gsmarena.com)

1 Like

It does though it’s at best a mediocre one compared to Samsung’s upper end phones

1 Like

Ah. Assisted GPS. Thanks.

Will the Duo 3 come with a foldable display? A Japanese site claims to have seen a Microsoft patent application (unclear if submitted) that is for a single foldable screen.

2 Likes

This :point_down:

Too lazy to hit the edit button.
Looks like it’ll still retain the 360" hinge; kinda middleground between Samsung and Huawei. Wonder how that’ll be possible with a foldable screen. This one’s for you @Desertlap.

Now you’ve got me feeling adventurous enough to try.

2 Likes

The Japanese version was actually an exact translation.

1 Like

No direct knowledge, but I’ve heard rumors through our supply chain that MS bought a ton of various foldable display tech starting late last year.

There also seems to be some explicit support for foldable displays (UI optimizations for different postures) in the latest Android commits by MS

1 Like