So what's the story behind your avatar?

I like turtles elephants.

I like Pokémon. It’s Phanpy (ゴマゾウ - yearling elephant) my equal favourite one. Just been playing the latest game today.

As for my username; my full initials just handily make an acronym and I like how it sounds.

4 Likes

On OG TPCR, I chose this picture of my (then) collie Nicky, who was a Christmas present from my wife. I had casually mentioned that I had seen this beautiful collie pup at the local pet store, and she surprised me with him a couple of days later. I was struggling to think of a name because I was so surprised and my daughter, who was grade-school aged, suggested Nicholas after St. Nicholas and Christmas. I shortened the name to Nick. Nick lived a long and mischievous life, usually using his collie intelligence for evil. I still miss him today. My wife doesn’t know it, but there may be another collie in our future…

Square Nicky - 320

Like some of you, I thought that the creation of a new forum required a fresh start for me, too.

I give you the Northrop YF-23 Prototype Air Vehicle 1 (PAV-1). This photo was taken from the boom operator position in the tail of a KC-135 tanker when PAV-1 pulled in for its first aerial refueling during flight test. I was the Low Observables Integration manager for the YF-23 and I regard that program as the highpoint of my career. During the ATF competition, the YF-23 lost to the YF-22 and that effectively ended the program. I left Northrop shortly thereafter. In my mind, the real pity is that the world never got to see the production version of the airplane, which was really beautiful…

YF-23TruSquare

What would have been the F-23A Advanced Tactical Fighter…

f-23  600

9 Likes

Mine is my first animated drawing that I thought would be simple enough to cut as a profile image
output_3BqFYo

9 Likes

Cool thread!

Well, being Australian, The Phantom is pretty much our national superhero due to Frew Publications being Australian.
I’ve been reading the comic on again/off again all my life, they used to be in dailynewspaper comic strip and every Fair/Show there’d be a ‘Phantom’ showbag that would have lollies and comics.

8 Likes

I love the creativity and thought so many of you have put into your avatars. Mine is just a crop of a photo my wife took while we were in Central Park a few years ago. I’ve never been in the habit of using a pen name or avatar. You just get me; and I’m the one taking pictures 99% of the time so I don’t have many self portraits to choose from.

7 Likes

I too have grown up on the Phantom and I grew up on the east coast US. It was a black and white comic in our daily newspaper and a full blown color comic in the Sunday paper.

3 Likes

It’s a bit of a long story, but I changed my username and avatar for the new site. TBH, I hadn’t been on the old site in a couple years since I was last looking for a tablet last time, but, I digress.

Several years ago, I started playing DnD with some of my friends. This was shortly after the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out. I played a sub 6’ weapons master monk with a chip on his shoulder. Another in our group played a 7’7’ barbarian who spoke very little. We were the fighters of our group. My character’s name was James, but we quickly became known as Rocket and Groot. Like Rocket in the movie, I can also be … difficult to like until you get to know me, so the name kinda carried over into real life, and became my avatar for almost everything I’ve joined since.

This particular avatar was just the first one I found on my computer when signing up for the new site. I’ll probably update it soonish with one from an artist I like, Scottie Young.

I honestly don’t remember what avatar I used for the last site. I’m not even sure on what username I used. So you’re getting a fresh me this time around.

edit: ok, that wasn’t as long as I thought it was going to be.

4 Likes

Haha, exactly what I was thinking :grin: Welcome “back” Rocket! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s had a good run - I used to cut the comic strips out of the paper at one point.

1 Like

Just noticed @nyb72’s avatar. Since the early days I’ve been dreaming about a device with two folds, but I see some of us have a more forward looking mind: no less than four folds! :joy:

2 Likes

Mine’s my face. You can then see the person that’s posting random stuff in the wrong section.

3 Likes

Hey @Desertlap how about this for an avatar, a rework of the DHL logo :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Not unless @dstrauss goes to a FedEx/UPS logo…

2 Likes

Or maybe a BestBuy, but with the FedEx double arrow showing the instant returns. :smiley:

Edit: no wait, I got it!!

7 Likes

ummmmm… :rofl:

that is really clever !!!

1 Like

All I’m saying is, perhaps it’s time to upgrade from the generic “letter avatar” given that you make up like 20% of all posts here. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Done and thank you so much !

5 Likes

Haha, nice!

and one day I will share the backstory behind my user name, it’s old going all the way back to one of my very first jobs out of high school aka before the internet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Real funny guys… :vb-rolleyes:

2 Likes