Short reminder that an IP rating on a smart phone doesn't apply to salt water

The article is slightly out of date, but the gist of it applies. And unfortunately it’s a mistake/misconception that a surprising number of people in our customer base continue to make.

A few weeks ago , one killed his brand new iPhone 13 Pro by taking it snorkeling on the Florida coast:(

How dangerous is saltwater for my Samsung Galaxy smartphone? - SamMobile

4 Likes

:ocean::shark::eyes:

That, plus read the fine print. Apple’s iPhones state something like “not covered by warranty” and “rubber seals age, not guaranteed to work” or so. I lost an iPhone XS due to water damage from a brief 1m submersion in fresh water. I was convinced I had heard that it was waterproof, but the Apple event didn’t mention the asterisks out loud.

2 Likes

How about chlorine water? ( Swimming pool)

And I think there’s a small amount chlorine in tap water too.

Probably not a good idea for Chlorine in a pool which is about 10 times higher than in drinking water. However it’s my understanding that it’s not just because salt is corrosive, but also that saltwater conducts electricity far more readily, think for example your charging port.

I know with our own custom devices, we put extra heavy duty seals around any ports and add an extra resistant coating to the external shell if they are going to be used near saltwater and or spray

1 Like