Samsung Galaxy Book3 360 and 360 Pro

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Huion Kamvas Studio 16

Pretty good deal going on right now (today only it seems) for the i5/8GB/512GB for $700 at Best Buy.

Edit: price went up to $900 now a day later.

I saw one today at BB with the laptops & not in the Samsung section were it was all the Android based devices.

And, did you like it? I think the 8GB and 1080 are sub optimal, but otherwise a pretty great system!

1 Like

So quick comment on the OLED displays in these systems. Generally speaking they are very good to excellent displays. The only drawback IMHO is the relatively low resolution.

At this point, devices in this size range should come with at least a 3k (quasi QHD) resolution.

Maybe I’m just stuck in my ways, but 3k seems excessive for a 13.3" display, and still more than a 15" display needs.

Especially on a laptop that has limited cooling and power usage to take into consideration.

We need them pixels! (If nothing else, to help make up for the ones taken away by painting the rounded corners)

It’s nice and high, but it doesn’t seem all that excessive to me. Personally I think 1440p on a 13.3" display would be enough, which would be “2.5k” at 16:9 aspect ratio.

The non pro models have 1080p though, or “2k”, which is low enough that smaller fonts might look a bit fuzzy/blurry. At least I recall that having 768p on a 12.5" screen was decidedly fuzzy (Lenovo X220t), so I’d rather stay well above that.

1 Like

Decent discount on the i7/16GB/1TB 15.6" model: $1000, down from $1540.

Ouch, wish I’d jumped on that and bought a spare.

While testing software last night, managed to drop a tool on my screen, and last night’s tiny chip with small crack has spread into a crack across the entire display…

Anyone know how Samsung’s extended warranty handles this? I guess I’m driving over to Best Buy this evening.

and on top of all that, I guess I need to buy a second pen loop…

1 Like

Best Buy says that they don’t handle Samsung Warranties (though I picked up the machine there), so I guess I’ll be calling Samsung Care+ tomorrow on my lunch break.

Well, turns out that the Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360 is no longer available from Samsung.com, so I guess they’ve sold out. Best Buy still has some stock, so that seems the best option.

The question then becomes what to do with the original — I see 3 options:

• get a screen protector for it and just use it as a backup
  • replace the screen using Samsung Care+ as soon as possible on the theory that while they should have parts now, they may not have them later
  • defer the screen replacement until just before the warranty expires, then do it

Which then raises the question: What to do w/ two essentially identical computers?

I don’t like the idea of sticking one in the box and keeping it as a spare out of concern for the battery and so forth.

Is there a workable system for switching between units on a regular basis? (on a Mac once upon a time I would have just put one into Firewire Target Disk Mode, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to update files — is there something like to that on Windows?)

Xxcopy my user directory onto a Micro SD Card, put it into the other machine and then Xxcopy the updated files over?

If I am switching between the twain on a regular basis what would be a reasonable schedule to switch? Once a week? Every two weeks?