S23 Ultra cameras

You mean “torch mode” :rofl:

1 Like

So, this site review is the first to explicitly report something what we are seeing in our tests of the 23 Ultra main camera which is exceptionally low noise. “Noise” often appears as spurious white or off-color individual pixels in an otherwise solid swath of a particular color or tone.

This noise is more likely to appear in very low light generally, but can also appear in very, very bright shots or very high contrast HDR shots as well. And in our tests it’s significantly better that the S22 Ultra or for that matter the iPhone 14 Pro. It makes sense with Samsung’s 16:1 pixel binning scheme as it provides more raw data to detect/eliminate erroneous individual pixel luminance values.

And BTW this could have led to issues in starry sky shots, but the AI in Samsung’s take on computational photography seems to be very good at recognizing night sky shots.

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra review: a 200-megapixel camera, but is it worth U$1,199? What the phone does that sets it apart from the competition | South China Morning Post (scmp.com)

1 Like

I love to see the bar raised for smartphone photography. The other major players have to keep up and that’s beneficial for all of us regardless of our brand preference.

For those interested, Lisa’s review is up:

2 Likes

Solid review as always from Lisa :+1:

BTW: Totally trivial but Samsung slightly tweaked the “white” version this time out to an almost cream looking color versus the more basic white of the S22. I personally like it. It’s subtle and I didn’t even notice it right off the bat.

Android Centrals review of the S23 Ultra. They are reporting similar “weirdness” with the cameras like we’ve seen. The good news is that likely at least somewhat fixable with future updates.

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra review: Understated grandeur | Android Central

Unlocked version of the S23 Ultra available for under $400 with old note trade in? Galaxy S23 Ultra, 256GB (Unlocked) in Phantom Black | Price & Deals | Samsung US. Looks like credit is instant, not billing credit? Tempting. Wonder if this will work on Verizon.

2 Likes

That is a good deal and unlocked Samsungs will work on any US carrier with no downside, and one additional upside is that you don’t get all the extra “stuff” that Verizon forces with their version.

1 Like

Be very careful at the Samsung site - the “discounted” prices they show are for the max trade-in candidates, and once you actually put in your device and click the check out button the discount diminishes substantially. That near $400 price is only with their max $750 Samsung late model trade-in. A Note 10 gets a much more meager $350 off retail. Still, they do have an additional $100 discount on most all sales, but fill in all the spaces first and see what the bottom line shows you. I know, I got excited about the trade in of an iphone for a Fold 4 which faded considerably when I entered my iPhone 13 Pro…

3 Likes

Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking that up. Oh Samsung! NVM. My damn Note 10 is still working so well, that it keeps me on the sidelines.

1 Like

I’ve been there too, more than once!

I have no way to know of the veracity of this poster at reddit, but if this is true, the moonshots you admired @dstrauss maybe as fake as the actual moon landing :laughing:

Samsung “space zoom” moon shots are fake, and here is the proof : Android (reddit.com)

It certainly isn’t a good look in general for Samsung and of computational photography though.

1 Like

Be careful of what happened to the guy who suggested this…

Back to the topic - so Samsung “Chapped” the image - it’s AI, not even computational photography - :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Ha Ha. I forgot about this. Love Buzz even more now. He was in his 70s when he landed that blow. Kick ass Buzz.

1 Like

I can’t even fathom the HATE I would have for deniers if I had been a part of man’s greatest scientific triumph - that guy would have never gotten back up off the ground…

Agreed on what is one of mankind’s greatest achievements. Was going for humor. but missed the mark apparently.

On topic though, if this is even remotely accurate about Samsung “faking” moon shots, I can’t even fathom the levels of stupidity that would allow what would have to be a large effort from suggesting. approving and then implementing something like this.

Have to agree - what bonehead would have thought this was a good idea - should be looking for the exit if they haven’t already been fired…

1 Like

The OP claims that a texture, or rather they latter couch it as essentially a texture of the Moon. But… they don’t actually produce any evidence that a texture is being used.

It seems like AI/ML to me and if you’re into that, then I don’t see the issue at all. If you like things like Google’s Night Sight, and I’m sure Apple also have some stuff; then this is not different.

Now, I’m not really a fan of computational photography as it’s too fake/not real enough for me. Pixel-binning and HDR are about as far as I’ll go.

Nah, we got it. It was just too tempting, apparently, to move on to Buzz and his ass-whipping.

1 Like

What he said… :+1: :+1: