Panos Panay gone

I guess leaving just before the event is some kind of pissing contest. What will happen to our Surface line now?
Did he leave because of frustration with Nadella? So many questions so few answers.

3 Likes

As Marty pointed out…
https://x.com/panos_panay/status/1696184684303315420?s=46

He ducked out. The perception this creates of zero confidence no PR team can fix. It is obvious he wasn’t thrilled enough to want to stay around until his Surface baby was revealed. He both canceled his appearance internally and publicly. If this doesn’t scream there is writing on the wall for Surface, I don’t know what else does.

2 Likes

Also noticed that it was discussed in the Surface Pro 11 speculation thread. Late to the ball game, but shouldn’t it be in a separate thread?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’d be fine, I can’t move posts right now (about to be without internet for a few hours), but if anyone feels so inclined feel free to move those posts here.

2 Likes
1 Like

I believe the Surface line would fare much better with more innovation if, as someone suggested in the other thread, MS sold out off.

1 Like

My gut tells me we’ll know A LOT by first quarter next year - if the rumored 11" Surface Pro 10 never surfaces its the beginning of the end for the Surface brand…

And now I wonder if M$ intentionally greenlighted the 13’ Lenovo version of Neo…

2 Likes

The rumors, both true and false like the one I mentioned in the Surface announcement thread that Panos was going to Qualcomm were really flying yesterday and still today.

The TLDR is that it appears to be a fairly major shakeup generally and that Panay was just the most visible/notable person in it.

There are rumors this morning of a mass exodus of the design engineers on the Surface team… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

If they lose Ralf Groene, it is the end of the road for Surface…why does this suddenly feel lik Kin, Kinect, Windows phones…

2 Likes

You know, I was prepared to make the jump back to 11" and Intel (N200) with the Commercial Go3.5. But, with the uncertainty created by the Panos departure and staff exodus, I’m probably going to hold-off buying anything.

With Microsoft hell bent on pushing us to the cloud, for the first time in recent memory, I am at a loss to see very far into the computing future. I have to admit of having thoughts of moving to Apple (OMG NO! :flushed:).

2 Likes

Hopefully Phil Spencer is next, what with the leaks of emails today.

2 Likes

I know you’re just kidding, but It looks to me like M$ is crumbling from a user perspective as well. Apple’s not the answer for you my friend, unless you’re willing to go full time MS 365 (aka - Word) and rely on both a laptop (productivity) and iPad (note taking). Since you’re not in the iPhone world, that’s another cost factor going forward.

If I were in your shoes, I’d double down on that commercial Intel N200 with LTE, and either upgrade your Note 10 to the Fold 5 or 23/24 Ultra (23 if you can get a great deal, or wait three more months and go 24). This way you preserve your WordPerfect world, AND you can always jump later to Appletraz if MS pulls the plug and forces us to the cloud. I think that will be hard for them to do short term, but I do expect the pressure to mount elsewhere, with things like returning to “cloud only” OneNote and the never ending battle to force you to use Edge/Bing/CoPilot.

My MS “exit strategy” is to keep honing my Mac/iPad Pro skills (lord I wished they’d give us MacOS dual boot) so someday, closer to retirement, I can go iPad/iPhone only…since my SP8 has M$ Complete until January 2025 it may be doable…

2 Likes

I’m probably 5 years out. But, to tell the truth, my state is considering a speciality designation and certification for appellate attorneys. I probably have enough cases out there at the appellate and state Supreme Court level to be grandfathered in. Jesus, I could maintain a small appellate practice for as long as I still have a few brain cells that are functioning. But, Word Perfect is critical for that kind of document production.

I so hate the path Microsoft appears to be heading down. TBH, Corel is partially to blame. How can they not have a Mac version of WP? IPad version? Android? Idiots!

2 Likes

What in God’s name? Dale, where you able to read my post? It got censored. It’s probably one of my more innocous postings too.

First - that appellate practice specialization IS GOLD MINE - and you can mine it by active appellate presentations or better still CONSULTATION (which is basically just grading everyone’s papers). GO FOR IT!

Second - I think I read somewhere that they passed on Mac years ago because of the lack of legal users in that market at that time - but one thing to consider is that Parallels on the M series macs can run an application in a window just as if it were a native mac app, so it would be doable in that context.

Somehow it was just “there” - either we are fellow cellmates in AI imposed purgatory, or someone (@JoeS?) sprung you from jail…

3 Likes

Who ever sprung me … thanks. I can breathe again.

1 Like

Our friendly decency bot decided the post was toxic, probably based on the use of “Jesus”, “hate”, and “idiots!”. I think the post is OK, but it’s not the absolute worst classification it has attempted. :slight_smile: Anyway, carry on!

1 Like

So, the filter is automatically selecting against those of us from Jersey. :grinning:

2 Likes

Ha Ha. My AI overlord doesn’t like me joking about it. I think I have seen the future.

1 Like