New e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

This looks promising, the color on these prototypes (they’re calling it E Ink Gallery 3) looks like a huge leap forward.

Goes from 4096 colors (Kaleido) to >50,000. Also no backlight, it’s front lit like the black and white E ink screens apparently.

More details at The Verge: E Ink Gallery 3 tech brings us closer to the perfect tablet - The Verge

2 Likes

Yes it looks like quite an improvement over my Boox Nova 3 color display. Now if they can just get the refresh rate up.

So I just got the King Jim Freno in. It’s a rebranded MobiScribe Origin, just in beige and with less branding. Apprently it released first though.

It’s… surprisingly nice!

It’s a bit bigger than the OG Fold unfolded and the display a bit smaller. It’s running Android 8, though not a normal version so apps have to mostly be sideloaded.

The writing is very nice (well, it is Wacom EMR) and the stylus feels good, though it is very light.

There’s a separate case that feels very cheap and takes up quite a bit of space. It does prop the tablet up at a good angle for use as a calendar though, with a penloop accessible.

The orginal asking price was a joke, up there with Boox devices. Especially so compared to the MobiScribe Origin price. But I found it on Japanese Amazon for 17,000 yen.

5 Likes

Can you try running OneNote on it?

2 Likes

That’s looking very much like a no.

It appears they’ve gimped the MobiScribe as there is no readily accessible browser. Copied across APKs don’t appear and the settings menu has been seriously cut down.

Web browsing is possible because MobiScribe’s can do it, and you can get to the wider Web by going through hyperlinks using the sign-in for Dropbox or Evernote. Its called ‘nCloud’ in the app switch, which as far as I can tell is an Naver app.

Not that really matters given the horrendous UI of OneNote on Android. It would be a nightmare on such a small device (that you want to write on).

It’s fine for me as all I wanted was a notepad and don’t even really need syncing or even ePub or PDF support (which does have).

If I have time I’ll see if you can find a workaround. It clearly can download and install apps, as to read PDFs it has to do that and I found FBReader in the documentation.

2 Likes

Update!

I type this from the device in Vivaldi! I think using the work around to get to OneDrive did it. The APKs just appeared.

OneNote is horrible. This only has 2GB of RAM and who knows what SoC. Not to mention the lag that only really Boox have sorted out.

I won’t be posting from here again though, as this is killing me!

3 Likes

It’s a great looking tablet.

Boox is supposed to be announcing a few new e-ink tablets tomorrow (May 13th, which is “today” there now). I’d be interested to see if they implement newer e-ink tech.

2 Likes

Okay, apparently just two, the Poke 4 and Poke 4S. Small ereaders, no pens.

Correction, there were three and the third is the NoteX, likely to remain China-only according to Reddit comments. It’s an upgraded 10.3” Note Air that borrows the aesthetics of the Nova Air.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Onyx_Boox/comments/uoohee/notex_details/
https://zh.boox.com/notex

Some treats from CEATEK 2022.

There’s the latest Fujitsu Quaderno (10.3" (A5) and 13.3" (A4)) [originally the Sony DPT, which switched to Wacom EMR for the ‘second’ generation when Fujitsu took it up] using E-Ink Kaleido 3.

Edit: Only the displays are made by Linfiny, which is some sort of spin-off from Sony, if I recall correctly. The rest of the device ID to be made by Fujitsu.

And there’s an 8" Sharp prototype using E-Ink Gallery 3.

Just don’t think about the price of these, lol.

3 Likes

Onyx just announced their Tab Ultra (Oct. 27 announcement which we all seem to have missed):

10.3" Carta glass screen, 227ppi, front light w/ CTM, Qualcomm Octa-core, 4GB RAM, 16MP rear camera (for document scanning), Android 11, supports 3rd party apps

$600, $660 if you get the nifty keyboard case.

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw Voja’s video comments on the new Boox devices a few days ago but no hands-on or deep review yet, of course.

1 Like

My questions:

• can you use it as an e-ink screen over HDMI? (e.g., for the Raspberry Pi 4)
  • can the Kindle app be installed? How well does it run? (I’m not wild about it on my Note 10+ — seems fussy and awkward when changing from one book to another)
  • how well does Nebo.app run on it?

My questions:

• Should we be concerned about security?
  • do Boox screens still crack under homogeneously applied pressure?

Yes, I’m a disgruntled former customer, why do you ask? :upside_down_face:

(hums “these boox were made for crackin’, and that’s just what they’ll do:notes: )

2 Likes

That price seems a little steep for an e-ink device.

1 Like

I think my acceptance of this is a comment on how desperate I am for a daylight viewable display.

If @JoeS fragility issues are no longer a concern, and if it works as an e-ink screen over HDMI, and if the Kindle app runs well, and if Nebo.app runs well on it, I’m going to be sleeping on the sofa after buying one, and I’ll have a Kindle Scribe to spare.

3 Likes

Maybe check the Boox reddit. If there’s a lot of chatter about cracked screens, that’d be a warning. I think it’s died down a bit after the Note Air, and even then many buyers had no issues. For me though: I’m out.

1 Like

My Boox Nova 3 got a cracked screen but that was after dropping it on its corner from about a meter high onto asphalt pavement so I really can’t blame it on the construction.

The Android Kindle app on my Boox was satisfactory for me.

2 Likes

My Boox Spends most of its time in my briefcase and I’ve had no problems.

2 Likes