Microsoft Surface Pro 8

Something is certainly in the pipeline. In Japan MS has reduced the Book 3 with up to $1.000 and a little while ago I got my first ad that reduced the Pro X with almost $600.
Time to reduce stock so there is room for something new.

6 Likes

And there came the ad for the Surface Pro 8 with a $200 reduction.

2 Likes

Hmm… just looked and the current keyboard covers for pro 8/x through our business portal are listed as “backordered” which in the past has foretold new products…

4 Likes

They have now decided to upgrade the sale of the Pro X by including keyboard and Pen 2 (carpenter model) in the reduced price. Quite the bargain, but it just makes me more curious as to what might be in the pipeline.

6 Likes

One thing I don’t like about the new forum is that when I open it up it is show the very top (oldest) of a long list. I have to do several scrolls to get to the bottom to see what is most recent.

Should be a screen button to take you to last read.

When you open a thread? That seems to be bug or performance issue. When that is what’s happening, try reloading.

Update on something I posted about a couple weeks back with the Pro 8 and high refresh rate (240 HZ) monitors where it kicks the Surface in to highest performance mode and also drains the battery quite quickly.

Turns out there are two bugs, one in Windows 11 and one in the Surface Firmware. Both are set to be addressed around the time of the next cumulative update. It missed this month’s.

So for the record, a 240 hz display should not automatically kick the Surface in to high performance mode.

There is a battery life hit, but in line with what we expected which is about 15%.

2 Likes

anyone know a good source for the Kioxia (Toshiba) SSD? Seems you can’t buy it direct and I don’t trust ebay so don’t want to buy there. The few other places I saw were sold out. Ordered a pro 8 a couple days ago, $700 bucks less than it was at the beginning of the year!

2 Likes

Has anyone been offered the 22H2 on your Pro 8 yet? All of our in-house systems are showing as having a safeguard hold, but so far are questions to MS about what the specific issue(s) might be have gone unanswered.

Update, not confirmed directly by MS, even though it’s on their own support board, but possibly an issue with the Intel sound driver

Windows 11 22H2 held back on Surface Pro 8? - Microsoft Community

1 Like

Nope, mine’s been showing the safeguard notification since the release date. Was going to ask here too.

I don’t know what the safeguard notice is, but haven’t seen 22H2 offered yet.

Not yet.

Anyone else recently experience a jump in battery drain? I do not have 22H2, just usual security and wack-a-mole updates, but it is now losing about 20-25% per hour? It is well past the break-in and indexing period.

1 Like

I have noticed the same thing recently when I run on battery. Very irritating, so much so that I am considering going back to Windows 10.

Boy, is the battery on this thing terrible. Sometimes I can’t get thru a 4-hour class without plugging it in.

At what brightness and screen refresh, if I may ask?

That’s a good question. I recently set the refresh rate to 120 and brightness is at about 60%

Edit: sorry, just noticed miner’s at 100% brightness. Use it mostly in uni classes to project contents, so I need it at its brightest.

1 Like

I’m slightly over 50% and 120hz refresh - which reminds me -

WHERE THE H$LL IS THE ADAPTIVE REFRESH UPDATE - IT’S A YEAR OLD ALREADY.

4 Likes

Losing that much battery that quickly points to a possible hardware issue. Even if you have the display set to 120 HZ and full brightness.

The only tasks I could see that would come even close doing that would be ripping a 4k Blu-ray or doing HDR Maya renders. And you’d also notice that the Pro was getting quite warm too.

2 Likes