Microsoft Complete for Surface devices

BLUF Does anyone have experience with getting their Surface replaced or fixed with Microsoft Complete? Do they really send you a refurb that can be anything?

I cracked my SP8’s screen the other day. Badly. One crack traverses the entire diagonal of my screen. Tragic, because this machine is only a year old and I wasn’t planning on replacing it any time soon.

But! I bought Microsoft Complete. Great, I’ll just file a claim, methinks.

Not so fast. Upon reading the terms and conditions more closely, I’m afraid of what they’ll give me in return.

From this page:

Send us your broken device and we’ll send you a refurbished device.

And from my Microsoft Complete service contract:

NOTE: We reserve the right to Replace the Covered Product with a new, rebuilt or refurbished item of equal or similar features and functionality, and We make no guarantee that a Replacement will be the same model, size, dimensions or color as the previous Covered Product.

Microsoft seems to be telling me that if I make a claim with ‘cracked screen’, I’m virtually guaranteed to get a refurb or maybe anything at all.

At this point, I’m looking at three options:

1. Send in the SP8 and risk getting a refurb (or who knows what)
  2. Give in to the temptation to replace/add to it with a Surface Laptop Studio
  3. Live with the damage for an indefinite while longer. It may be unsightly, but so far utility hasn’t been compromised.

I love my SP8. It still feels new and shiny and awesome to me. That being said, a computer with better gaming performance and lapability might fit my use cases better. Hence, my lusting after the Surface Laptop Studio.

What do folks think? And, a broader question - anyone re-evaluating the value of Microsoft Complete given the above specifics? I sure am.

2 Likes

Over the years, I’ve had 2 Surface tablet and 2 Duos replaced under Complete: The replacement was always new in box.

Granted, those were “early” in the life cycle of each product (no refurbished inventory yet), and the tablets were in the glorious days of the physical store when you could hand them the broken unit and they’d hand you a new box.

The language is a result of annual model changes, rapid product cycling, chip shortages, the general corporate model today of minimizing inventory storage and US litigiousness.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say something similar to @Bishop’s reply. You can pretty much count on the replacement device being in “like new” condition. I only had to replace a surface device once (Surface Pro 2 back in the day), but the replacement seemed brand new. Only thing is that it came in a generic box, and that they left it sitting on my doorstep! :scream: If you do ask for a replacement, let us know how it goes. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I would suggest take advantage of Microsoft Complete if you paid for it. Even a Refurbished device has more resale value than a tablet with a big ugly crack. Also, by “can’t guarantee it’s the same model” is likely because the old model could be out of stock and they would have to provide you a newer model.

I remember reading in the old forum that someone use Microsoft complete after new device came out and they managed to score a next gen model at no extra cost, because old model was out of stock and they can’t just turn away a Microsoft Complete buyer.

3 Likes

That contract language is aimed right at the two $14.45 checks my wife and I received last weekend from the settlement of the class action lawsuit against Apple (years ago) for replacing broken iPhones with refurbs. Interesting how they ever arrived at that amount, much less how the class action predator lawyers skimmed off the top (sorry, professional discrimination creeping in there).

I wonder if I can get a screen protector anymore for $14.45…

3 Likes

The total settlement was $310 million US. The judge approved $80 million in attorneys fees. @dstrauss

I don’t know how much of the balance is “reserved” for administrative costs of mailing notices, issuing payments, etc. Assuming those are 10% of the balance, the implication is about 14 million claimants could get $14.45 checks.

1 Like

I realize that class actions have a place (witness the infamous Ford Pinto suit which should have been class action material when the original plaintiffs uncovered this about the “exploding gas tank” problem:

Ford engineers considered a number of solutions to the fuel tank problem, including lining the fuel tank with a nylon bladder at a cost of $5.25 to $8.00 per vehicle, adding structural protection in the rear of the car at a cost of $4.20 per vehicle, and placing a plastic baffle between the fuel tank and the differential housing at a cost of $2.35 per vehicle.

But these “inconvenince” class actions serve no useful purpose other than making a handful of lawyers a lot of money for their “pain and suffering” of having brought the suit and waiting a handful of years to settle and get their cut…

SORRY - I’ll take my rant(s) and slink away…

1 Like

Only certain firms can stand up to the onslaught of talent that is retained on the defense side in most class action litigation. In a way, I don’t mind reasonable fee awards to those firms for small issues that would never be addressed “but for” the class action. Some of the fees awarded are out-of-line but that is due to judges that don’t adequately supervise class settlements. More of them should be rejected by the Court as they don’t offer anything of value to the class while they buy-off the prosecuting lawyers. Just like your $14 settlement that netted the lawyers millions.:vb-agree: On the other hand, there have been settlement classes created establishing funds, permitting claimants to avoid the litigation process, yet receive significant compensation. Those lawyers generally earned their fees. I guess it depends on who’s ox is gored.

2 Likes

I agree @Bronsky - guess my biggest beef is that the paltry payouts to the class serve very little benefit to anyone but the class action lawyers. I’ve seen recommendations of placing those awards in some kind of charitable fund - but the thought of government intervention and/or new bureaucracy makes me cringe as well. As I mentioned, the Ford Pinto case is the classic - literally Ford calculating how much they might lose in lawsuits vs. the cost of that $3 per car spacer between the tank and transaxle is the height of inhumanity.

Sorry - promise - I’ll give it a rest…

1 Like

My $.02. I owned a Pro 1. I used a Fuji Q330 and Asus Viva Note 8 after that, primarily as tablets with a Thinkpad Notebook (X301) as my main computer. When the Surface 3 was released, I switched to it as my main computer and tablet combined. The x86 Z8700 Atom was faster than the Core-2-Duo in the X301 and I had been happy with the performance of the Atom in the Vivanote 8. I have used a 10" Surface as my primary computer since then. I have had to replace 3 units. One, because I drove over it with my car. All of the replacement units were “replacement” units. Although I beleive they were refurbished, they were, in all respects like new. Even the batteries were at the design level and showed no wear. There were no flaws in the display or even dead pixels. I suspect that “refurbished” in that context means “remanufactured.” Due to that, I have been very happy with complete care. I preferred when there were Microsoft Stores so I could make the exchange immediately but that ship has left the port.

2 Likes

Not a Microsoft complete user, but my practice over the years has been to buy my Surface devices used but in mint condition from any of the U.S e-commerce sites, then find a reason to initiate a service request from MS Japan (because MS support will honor that irrespective of which region you bought it from). I usually get one devices that look newer than the ones I send, can’t really tell if they’re used, and at a lightening turn-around speed. That’s how good MS support is. This goes for both main devices like PCs, SDuo, and accessories like the Surface earbuds and KB covers.

I forgot to mention that all of them were still under warranty, usually with a couple of months to expiration.
My point is that I’d trust MS with my RTMs anytime.

3 Likes

Just wanted to update folks on this thread - after dithering for months, I finally filed a claim and sent in my laptop. There was a $49 deductible, but the process was easy and much faster than I was afraid of (~2 weeks end to end including shipping?), and great communication from Microsoft throughout. And the best part is, I think they actually repaired my laptop! It’s hard to be certain (I wasn’t keeping track of serial numbers or anything), but there’s a scratch by the edge of the screen which is where the impact point was. There are a few other, barely visible scratches which suggest to me that they pried up the screen and replaced it. Extremely happy with the service!

8 Likes

I miss the convience of the stores and instant trade in for defective devices and even smashed ones if you had complete care. Still, its good to know the virtual store is doing what it can. I have to keep my pld Go2 updated as a back up unit in case the Pro X goes down.

5 Likes

You know, I never thought I would be saying this, but after this weekend and dealing with an equally poor experience with Microsoft Surface’s business support team, I am seriously considering switching to Team Apple. Here’s what happened:

Last Friday, my Surface Pro 8’s battery completely died and it refused to charge with any Surface charger, Surface Thunderbolt 4 Dock, or USB-C charger I had on hand. It was so bad that whenever I would connect a Surface Connect magnetic connector to it, the charge light would illuminate and immediately turn off, indicating a short internally in my Surface’s power system. This caused any of the chargers I tried to go into failsafe mode, and I had to unplug each charger to get them out of that state so they would charge my family members’ Surfaces.

So, I reached out to commercial Microsoft Surface support, which is one of the exclusive benefits of Complete for Business, over the weekend to arrange an advanced exchange and get my Surface replaced. The experience was anything but pleasant. There is now literally no phone support available anymore. If you try calling the toll-free number, they inform you of this and immediately terminate the call. All support happens online via chat, with no way of speaking to someone personally.

I submitted a case over the weekend and received a response earlier today, stating that an advanced exchange was still possible and that I would be able to receive a replacement unit no later than Thursday. However, just a few minutes ago, I was told that they cannot provide an advanced replacement and that I will need to send the unit in for repair, with a 6-8 day wait.

Fortunately, I was able to revive my Surface Pro 8 through a desperate attempt of a risky workaround (which I don’t recommend) by simultaneously plugging in both the Surface Connect and USB-C of two chargers: the Surface Pro 8 charger and the Surface Thunderbolt 4 Dock, to jump start it back to life. However, I’m unsure how much longer it will last, as it is on the verge of failure, with an effective full charge capacity of only 77%.

The bitter taste left in my mouth from Surface’s commercial support strongly suggests that Microsoft does not care at all about Surface and may be considering terminating the Surface business entirely. If I were an IT manager with hundreds or thousands of Surfaces deployed in a corporate fleet and had experienced this level of pitiful support, I would immediately recommend switching to another PC maker. Even though I had an awful experience with Dell’s support for the Dell Venue 11 Pro about seven years ago, at least I was able to speak to a human. Now, I’m being told that I will likely be without a device until the end of November, with the Thanksgiving holiday fast approaching.

Perhaps we should start a discussion about a hypothetical exit plan in case Microsoft decides to pull the plug on the Surface brand. After this experience, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are seriously considering exiting the market for good, given how fragile the Surface support structure appears to be.

2 Likes

Honestly, Microsoft’s support on the consumer end has been garbage since they shut down all of the brick & mortar stores. And if you weren’t lucky enough to have one of them nearby, it’s always been garbage. I guess corporate customers are now just getting the same support as us peons. :joy:

2 Likes

This sounds like the charging circuitry is completely hosed. I wouldn’t trust that 77%, as the charge measurement could abruptly decide that it’s now at zero percent. But leaving it charging in that state could also pose a hazard, if the battery is physically defective or their is some sort of intermittent short.

If possible, I’d get the data off there ASAP and leave the device in a non-flammable safe zone. If you can switch to a low-wattage USB-C charger that would be the safest for continuous trickle charge. Can never be too careful with lithium batteries.

2 Likes

You bet. If you want to undermine a business for a product that is highly marketed to corporations, you gut your support to the point that it is practically unusable. Adding Microsoft Complete for Business was a “hack” I recommended a few years ago to convert consumer Surfaces into the (once) better commercial support. The next 2-3 years are going to be critical: either Microsoft will rebuild their Surface business because Snapdragon X Elite will sell their Surfaces like hotcakes and will win over the greedy side of Satya’s AI and cloud-addicted heart or they will continue to not try despite the dollars hanging in front of them and Surface will become a thing of the past like Oldsmobile and Kodak.

1 Like

Will do! I have dealt with lipos with RC and I know a spicy pillow when I see one. I also see some purplish color discoloration towards the bottom of my display. I do not see any bulging yet but it may be from the battery pushing up against from behind the display internally.

By the way, I just noticed that Discourse has added “Ask AI” to the context menu when highlighting text in posts. It seems to work pretty well, actually!

1 Like

Since you saved us once before with this site, I think your instincts are spot on. Somewhere around here I prognosticated they’ve already decided internally and will announce next summer. With all the ruckus about Oryon, I can see them passing the torch to their OEM partners for the WOA 2.0 revival.

2 Likes

@here

I am just dropping this Twitter thread here as this sorry tale continues. I have a total of three agents now engaged and this begs the question: how many representatives does it take to send me a replacement unit? If they do not have a Surface Pro 8 in stock, send me a comparable Surface Pro 9. It is simple, yet they seem dumbfounded and incompetent as can be. I am not going to have my protection plan service held hostage, and I will continue to get more agents engaged, even their entire global support team if necessary by opening more and more tickets with their enterprise support, until I get satisfactory support. As of now, this is a living nightmare.

https://twitter.com/hifihedgehog/status/1725321828577468807

https://twitter.com/hifihedgehog/status/1725322635951657171

https://twitter.com/hifihedgehog/status/1725323753976893449

https://twitter.com/hifihedgehog/status/1725324922770149625

https://twitter.com/hifihedgehog/status/1725325637987008562

2 Likes