Microsoft Surface Pro 8

Ah, what I wrote can be taken as my SLS camera doesn’t have a problem, can’t it? To be clear: the SLS doesn’t have a rear camera to go wrong. :wink:

1 Like

Good to know -

Once again, I learned something here.

2 Likes

Me too - I can depend on my experiments going awry…

1 Like

Exactly! @dstrauss I think you should register the device in the devices page of your MS account. And you’ll find the form to start a service request. FWIW, MS had one of the fastest turnaround time of any OEM. Been a satisfying experience whether here in Japan or stateside.

2 Likes

@Hifihedgehog and @Nnthemperor - thanks guys for the suggestions, but I’m waiting on ITSavvy for the return option. Right now I’m a bit skittish about the SP8 for a few other reasons - more to come later.

2 Likes

FYI:

This morning a notification popped up, stating that I should use a better charger etc etc (not the EXACT message, but you get the point). I’m using a Surface Dock 2.

Now, Windows 11 is using smart charging. Fair enough, as it’ll increase the life of my battery. The only thing is that I use the SP8 over the weekend on battery and it will only charge to around 80%. Great. Woo. Thanks. Apparently, I have to visit the oems web page for information.

1 Like

Yeah a couple of us have been complaining about that here. You can pause smart charging in the Surface app. It seems to turn back after about a week of desk-bound use.

1 Like

I as late to the ‘new forum’ thing. Nice place. I’ll stay.

Thank you for the info!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a false positive from the firmware restricting the charge rate. Apparently, someone forgot to code into Windows 11 to signal to the battery monitoring system the reduced charge rate of smart charging is correct behavior. The false alarm only happens once though and I would much rather leave smart charging on to preserve my battery health than turn it off.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense, and likely explains an earlier “huh, what?” moment. Thanks!

2 Likes

Actually it appears to be a firmware issue and not Windows 11 per se as every 11th gen core I with TB/USBC power support that we’ve tested has similar issues. (dell xps, lenovo yogas, thinkpads ,HP Probook)

Unclear at this point if it’s addressable by firmware fixes, but we have questions out to the OEMs about it

1 Like

Microsoft Business Support to the Rescue! :+1: :+1:

I need to apologize for questioning MS earlier. As you may recall, I found a rear camera problem with the SP8, and was contemplating a return. I was told that a return would be faster than repair. Today I had still not heard from Microsoft on ITSavvy’s return request, so I submitted a repair request to MS Business Support this afternoon (including my pictures) and they were back to me within an hour, asking for a lot of details, especially Win version and driver details. I explained I had already reset the device in anticipation of the repair return, so the advisor just went ahead and authorized the advance shipment replacement. They didn’t even ask for a credit card to secure the return of my unit (did warn me they’d bill me if I don’t :flushed:).

In any event, a very fast, efficient, and customer forward solution. I was wrong in the assumption of a slow repair process, and should have gone with this to begin with. I’ll come back and report as this progresses.

Please remember, this is MS Business Support, so I can’t speak to the general repair experience.

PS - thanks to @Hifihedgehog and @JoeS for their suggestions and encouragement.

7 Likes

I think that second thanks should go to @Nnthemperor, not me, but I’ll take it! :slight_smile: Glad you got things taken care of.

2 Likes

It is the same with the general service request, unlike Samsung, this is irrespective of the country you bought your device from.

1 Like

Props to you too old buddy - I did register thanks to your advice and will soon have the replacement.

3 Likes

Now this is impressive - approved replacement on Tuesday evening; shipped it yesterday; will be here tomorrow.

Good job Microsoft (I WILL check both cameras this time…)

6 Likes

Top of the morning to all - typing this from the replacement Surface Pro 8. It got here last night and I have finally completed all updates to get Windows 11 Pro up and running. Cameras look great, as does everything else so far. Now the rebuild begins.

ONE COMPLAINT - Vendors need to find a way to load a current OS image when they ship it to you - it took HOURS downloading first a ton of Win10 Pro updates just in order to download a Win11 Pro update and then UPDATE Win11 Pro - come on man!

2 Likes

See, big IT shops pay an intermediate vendor or lessor (sometimes Dell is offering the service) to put a master image on every device coming into the shop through the program. That just leaves us little guys. Nobody worries about how much time we have to spend. Wait till it’s all OS as a service…

1 Like

That would be the true Apple tipping point for this lone (st)ranger - and according to a lot of sources I read it may not be that far away in tech years - MS is chomping at the bit to make it happen…of course, in OUR best interest… :roll_eyes:

1 Like