Microsoft Surface Pro 8

Funny, just today on Reddit I saw a (possibly real…) neck tattoo with beautiful script that read “Lorem Ipsum”. Can’t tell from the picture if it was done ironically or accidentally (which would be ironic, given the text).

1 Like

SP8 - LTE report: have been driving in the backwoods (actually barren fields) between Wichita Falls and Abilene - getting consistent 35-45 mbps download speeds and solid connections. Not so much locale report as to show happiness with pedestrian LTE on hte road. It is a 5g area (according to my iPhone 13 Pro anyway) but this has been a nice surprise for work on the road -

Oh yes, my spouse is behind the wheel. I’m not quite totally insane (yet)… :crazy_face:

PS - there’s also something quite nice just having LTE on device instead of futzing with tethering…

UPDATE - in fairness and accurate reporting, I just hauled out the M1 iPP11 and tethered to my iPhone 5g and got 65 down and 32 up - really pretty good (at same time SP8 was doing 42/24 on LTE)…

3 Likes

I can totally see that, but given how much US telcos charge extra for this convenience means I have never had LTE on anything other than my phone.

If they’d offer an option to add a device to my plan for $10/mo, I’d exclusively buy LTE enabled devices. As it, I save twice: first by getting the cheaper device, and second by not being roped into yet another costly contract.

2 Likes

Verizon does … terms and conditions may apply.

2 Likes

One word app: PairVPN. It works wonderfully with iOS and Android. Why tether and likely be limited in data when you can have an app instead seamlessly behind the scenes create a VPN server that lets you tap into your smartphone’s unlimited data plan?

1 Like

So does T-Mobile. ATT is $20 which isn’t great, but still cheaper than what they charge for a standalone data plan.

2 Likes

Oh wow, TMo is only $10? I only recently re-enabled data on my Apple Watch because they finally ended the $10/mo collusion, and brought it back to the initial $5/mo. I’ll have to look into that.

The watch may take that option though. Last time i checked it was either or

1 Like

I’m stuck with AT&T for now, so it’s $20/month for me, but well worth it.

Got the replacement device today & the SSD swap went without a hitch. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Nice! Out of curiosity, did you end up needing the bitlocker key?

I did. I also had to use the MS authenticator app on my phone to confirm it’s me when I was logging into my account. Google, which I have 2fa setup, didn’t ask for that when I opened gmail oddly. Only con is my MS account online shows the serial for the old device not the new device & not sure how to change that.

1 Like

do you consider 7-8 hours good? microsoft touts 16 hours but I wouldn’t count on that. Chatted with an MS rep about returning it, she asked to try their tech support to see if they can find out why it’s eating the battery so much, I’ll probably give them a shot before sending it back. I seen some other people who were having REALLY bad battery issues, like going from100% to zero in just two hours of light use! Mine is not that bad, but I should get at least 8 hours of moderate use

2 Likes

7-8 is very good to me given the thermals and power of the device.

1 Like

I have never gotten more than 4hrs of use out of my SP8. Always have to plug it in towards the end of the second period when I have back to back classes at my Uni. All I do with it is project multimedia etextbooks and presentation SW from publishers using the MS wireless display adapter.

Speaking of which, the latest feature update seems to have screwed up what was a perfect WiDi setup for me. It now disconnects each time the screen is idle. Something that never happened before the update. Must they always fix things that aren’t broken?

1 Like

It’s more like they break anything unbroken before the update.

2 Likes

since MS claims 16 hours I feel getting half that or less is good reason for returning it.

2 Likes

If you are still in the return window then I’d send it back…

2 Likes

Impressive bundle at Costco apparently (from Reddit, haven’t verified yet). i5, 8GB, 256GB, keyboard, pen (!), all for $600.

Edit: shows up as $900 for me. Apparently the * on the sign and the fact that the price ends in .00 means that it’s a manager’s special at that location (Kona, Hawaii). Still maybe something to keep an eye on at your local Costco if this system interests you.

2 Likes

I am still under 60 days but have not sent it back. I guess I’m trying to talk myself into keeping it. I did call MS support and they remoted in. Poked around in my settings and task manager and did a battery report. He said everything appears to be fine. He mentioned that the wifi chip is a major drain on battery. My informal tests confirmed this. 1 hour of editing visio drawings, some coding in visual studio and some MS word stuff used 9% with wifi off. Doing the same thing with wifi on and browsing a few web pages for an hour used 14%. So I can probably get through a normal day of work on the battery as long as I stay off the internet.